PDA

View Full Version : This has nothing to do with shooting..

05-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Took my 10 year old Granddaughter and let her drive for the first time. Thought some of you might enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-pBNtEEcM

starmac
05-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Good for you, she will be well ahead of the pack these days, when it comes time for her to start driving.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-13-2013, 02:36 PM
looks like fun...and a nice lakeshore home too :)

David2011
05-13-2013, 02:45 PM
A high school student has been helping me with my shop construction. He's 17 and graduating next weekend. He's a farm and ranch kid, been rodeoing since he was little. I asked when he started driving the other day. He didn't start driving automobiles on the ranch until about ten but said he was driving a tractor since he was about five. He makes a great helper- doesn't have to be told how to do much and likes working with me doing construction way better than bucking hay.

David

frkelly74
05-13-2013, 05:42 PM
They will learn something, it's what they do. If good and useful things are made available for them to learn then that is what they will learn. If not , they will learn something else. It is our job to make the good things available and hopefully crowd out the bad.

DCP
05-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Memories for a life time. Grandpa

I smiled all the way through your ride. It made me remember my Grandpa,

Thanks for the Memories.

Trey45
05-13-2013, 08:53 PM
She will remember this forever grandpa! Nice way to learn driving too.

05-13-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure who had more fun her or me. I was a tag along Mom and Dad were 40 and 41 when I was born. Next kid was 10 years older than me. Both Granddads were gone by the time I came along. My Brothers were really more like Uncles. I learned to drive on their laps. The little girls Dad is 6'3 I don't think she understands how he fit on my lap when he learned to drive.

Johnch
05-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Nice to teach them like that

I was about 10 when I drove the truck through the lane fence and parked it in the ditch

And dad just laughted

John

dakotashooter2
05-14-2013, 10:35 AM
I learned to drive on old farm roads (and ditches) as did my son.

I was reminded the other day when a renter came out to drop off his winter equipment in a shed we rent him. His high school son was trying to back the trailer up to the door. I quit counting after about the 12th try.... The first time I had my son back a trailer he did so like he had done it all his life.

km101
05-14-2013, 05:55 PM
That is great! I'm sure that you both enjoyed it and will remember it a long time.

I learned to drive when I was nine by driving an old Ford truck around the pasture and pecan orchard doing chores. I was so excited to get to drive that I didn't mind the chores!

texassako
05-14-2013, 06:41 PM
I wish my first time was that open, but someone's first time driving is always memorable. A Jeep with a cranky clutch in a field of pulled up old oak stumps was not one of my father's best ideas. I also got to learn how to change my first tire that day.

waksupi
05-14-2013, 07:47 PM
I well remember my first experience of driving one of our tractors to one of our other farms. It was at the end of a driveway, and dad was going to go back and bring the pickup. He showed me how to shift into third gear, figuring it wasn't much more than walking speed.
I wasn't big enough to reach the clutch and brake pedals, so had to slide off the seat to push them, and push the shift up into gear.
I opened up the throttle, and gave a frog hop back onto the seat.
I immediately found I was in fifth gear, and I was going WAY faster than I wanted or expected. I was doing all I could to steer the darned thing to stay on the road. I couldn't reach the throttle from the seat, and about fell through the middle of the steering wheel trying to reach it. I lost control, and went down in the ditch, which bounced me off the seat, and I was finally able to get the clutch depressed, and on the brakes.
I was scared to death, dad, who had been running after me was white as a sheet.
We got it back on the road, he stood on the draw bar until he was sure I was in the right gear, and on down the road I went.
That was one we never mentioned to mom.

Mk42gunner
05-14-2013, 10:43 PM
That was one we never mentioned to mom.

I still have a quite a few of those saved up.

My first time "driving" was sitting on Dad's lap in the 71 Maverick. I was maybe eight years old.

The first time I was the only one on the vehicle was when we took the 9N Ford home from Dad's cousin's house, sometime in the third grade. First gear on the low side of the sherman overdrive. That mile and a half seemed like it took forever.

Robert

10x
05-15-2013, 10:41 AM
706127061370615A special moment she will remember forever. And a beautiful drive through some very pretty country.
I hope i will be able to teach my grandsons to drive on the trails and backroads of the acreage.
This brings back fond memories of driving a '51 chev shortbox when I was 8 - through gates when my dad opened them, and taking him coffee in the fields.
The roads look the same there as they did here in the late '50s and early '60s.
Thank you for reminding me of fond memories.