PDA

View Full Version : If You Think This Shortage Is Bad

Blacksmith
05-13-2013, 02:07 AM
Just try to imagine what it will be like the next time, there will be a next time, when some anti gun politicians (maybe Hillery) try to take advantage of yet another tragedy probably caused by a nut case in a gun free zone. The panicky people will remember this shortage, the gougers will remember the profit potential, and the ones who were unprepared this time and are still unprepared will all go buy anything on the shelves whether they need it or not.

Yes some will learn and be prepared next time. Most still won't prepare but because of this shortage the next one will be worse. I think this one is worse because of the 2008 shortages so if that mild shortage created this one the next will be orders of magnitude greater and will probably extend to anything that shoots or has a defensive use. It will probably include black powder guns, archery equipment, knives and edged weapons, and maybe baseball bats.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Whiterabbit
05-13-2013, 02:18 AM
Won't be so bad. CA is a HUGE market for stuff. Everything from high power rifles down to components and black powder. I'm sure NY was a huge market too. In CA, we have a string of politicians up for office from local mayors all the way up to the governor (especially the governor :() that are going to all but destroy our second amendment rights completely. (despite what people think, the reality is that CA is better on gun laws than the east coast or IL. That's gonna change come 2015, every Californian will be disenfranchised soon after.)

Anyways, my point is clear. The next shortage, the market for goods will be at LEAST 30million people smaller, and that doesn't include NY or if CO makes their laws stick. I'm sure a smaller pool of buyers will ease a shortage of consumables.

Artful
05-13-2013, 02:19 AM
True - how many remember shortages back in early 1990's?

Each "shortage" gets worse in my experience.

Whiterabbit
05-13-2013, 02:36 AM
Does that include the shortage in the early 40's?

Nevermind, you did say in your experience.

runfiverun
05-13-2013, 04:08 AM
the one in the 90's wasn't that bad.
you just had to look harder then.
the gouging wasn't in place like now.
yeah the prices were a bit higher and the retail prices went up afterwards too.
but this one is worse than the last [08] because the pipeline really never got fully filled with stock.
if this one ends.....
it won't be for quite some time.
those that won't pay the prices are just waiting and will be buying when the shelves are filled again just making the issue linger.
things [powder/primers] will be coming in in 3 month cycles and bought up and shelves will be low stock again until the next cycle of shipments.
i bet it will be another year or more before any kind of normal sets in.

41 mag fan
05-13-2013, 06:57 AM
i bet it will be another year or more before any kind of normal sets in.

That's a big IF there Run. If we have another idiot mass shooting, then it'll be longer than a year.
We have another idiot do a mass shooting that plays on the peoples emotions like Sandy Hook did, then you wont need to be looking for the end to the shortage, as we wont be allowed to own ammunition or the components.
We'll still have the right to bear arms, but the 2A says nothing about the right to bear ammo or gun powder, or lead or j-words, ect.

Lead Fred
05-13-2013, 07:11 AM
The bigger question is WHY is Homeland creating the shortage?

What do they know that we dont.

How come todays mass shooting in New Orleans NOT LA didnt make the news? What black on black handgun toting violence & no one was kilt.

Guess it didnt fit the anti gunners agenda

41 mag fan
05-13-2013, 07:50 AM

How come todays mass shooting in LA didnt make the news? What black on black handgun toting violence & no one was kilt.

Guess it didnt fit the anti gunners agenda

Maybe the medias figuring out not to glorify these mass shooters?? It would be a step in the right direction.

10-x
05-13-2013, 08:53 AM
That's a big IF there Run. If we have another idiot mass shooting, then it'll be longer than a year.
We have another idiot do a mass shooting that plays on the peoples emotions like Sandy Hook did, then you wont need to be looking for the end to the shortage, as we wont be allowed to own ammunition or the components.
We'll still have the right to bear arms, but the 2A says nothing about the right to bear ammo or gun powder, or lead or j-words, ect.

When the Constitution was written "Arms" meant powder and shot too. Look it up. Obongo and his commie clowns are treading on thin ice regarding the 2nd. Their BS reasoning about semi autos and "black rifles" not being around in the 1790s and thus not covered by the 2nd does not hold water. One can say the same about the 1st amendment in that no modern printing equipment was not around then, no type writer, ball point pens, no word processors, no radio, no tv..............

Epd230
05-13-2013, 09:09 AM
I think you are on the right track with the new battlefront being over the ammunition. DHS is stocking up in order to reduce their overall costs over the long run.

Once they place a huge tax on ammo or outright ban the sale of it, then the price for lawful owners (law enfc, govt, elites) will skyrocket as well, due to the changing demand and economies of scale in manufactoring.

Boerrancher
05-13-2013, 10:05 AM

I am not for sure about what they know, but you can bet that it isn't good. There is a reason why many of the states like MO who are financially solvent and have a surplus of money are buying precious metals and passing legislation to go to a gold standard and coin their own money. Look at the number of states that have passed legislation or are working on legislation to shore up Second Amendment rights. Also one must consider why land locked states like Wyoming are making deals with neighboring states to have access to the coast and sea ports.

When one examines all of the legitimate information that is available out there and looks at the whole picture it does not bode well. We are but two simultaneous natural disasters away from a total economic shut down. We are not for off from the dollar loosing it's status as the worlds reserve currency. When this happens you think inflation is bad now, the prices of everything from A to Z will skyrocket over night, and your greenbacks will be worthless. In order to try and control runaway inflation the government will give you 1 blue dollar for every 100 green ones, but that won't work either, as people will demand something tangible for their goods and services. Petro products will be unaffordable for most people at this time as well.

The best advice I can give, because I can only speculate as to a time frame is stockpile food, ammo, and precious commodities like gold and silver, even precious gems. Find like mined people and make sure that you can trust them with your life and the lives of your family. Never share the info of what you have with anyone, and forget about trading for a long long time. You will need to wait until the population is drastically reduced or you will find yourself a victim and be either dead or have your goods stolen, or both. OPSEC, OPSEC, OPSEC. In secrecy is the only way you will survive and thrive. Remember it only takes 3 days for a human to go from a human to an animal and some even less.

Best wishes,

Joe

Wis. Tom
05-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Wait until the next shortage is food. You haven't seen anything yet. Even better, with the stroke of a pen foodstamps could be gone, and that's when it gets real exciting. You think it's bad finding ammo to practice shooting, wait until it is really a necessity. Why do you think they want to dis-arm us. Don't think they are scared of this fact either, as they aren't stupid.

dakotashooter2
05-13-2013, 10:22 AM
One of the things that has made this shortage worse than any others is instant access to the internet. Information, true or false, is now spread so fast (often only minutes) that it often instills unwarranted panic....... It also allows profitters an unlimitted market for what they are selling which increase the number of bidders and raises the prices, further instilling even more panic. At one time gunshows were the only mass market (multiple buyers and sellers) for shooting supplies and over the years sellers started taking advantage of that. Now the internet has trumped the gun shows...........driving prices up even more.

While I believe it is the peoples right to get information I think the media has gone one step to far and does as much to promote panic as provide information.

Whiterabbit
05-13-2013, 12:18 PM
well, lets be clear, and the semantics are important. The glory of the internet was never dissemination of information, nor has it anything to do with information. It's the ability of communication, and the distinction is critical.

km101
05-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Maybe the medias figuring out not to glorify these mass shooters?? It would be a step in the right direction.

Are you kidding? The media does not learn, it reacts! And they will broadcast/publish anything that 1.) Fits their agenda, and 2.) will sell papers or increase ratings. What is right or wrong does not enter into the decision on what is aired or printed. What is newsworthy is determined by ratings and sales, and that news media's agenda, nothing more.

Harry O
05-13-2013, 09:03 PM
I got caught with my pants down during the Bill Clinton shortages in the early-to-mid 1990's. I learned from that and kept a good supply of everything I need. When the first Obama shortage came (2009), I was pretty well set, but did have some problems with a few items I didn't realize I was low on. I am set for the second Obama shortage. The only problems I have are with a caliber that I just started shooting (after the shortage started). I will wait rather than pay outrageous prices, though.

Jammersix
05-13-2013, 11:09 PM
With a little planning, a guy could hope to make lots of money next time.

People who don't shoot don't create shortages.

starmac
05-14-2013, 01:12 AM
I keep hearing this one is worse than the one in 08. How are we suppose to know that yet. So far it isn't as bad as 08 (here anyway) and it so far hasn't lasted as long.

Teddy (punchie)
05-14-2013, 01:52 AM
Back in the early 90's. We had trouble finding somethings, but if you drove from shop to shop you where able to find what you where looking for. Prices were higher but you did find most things. All the gun shows had what every you needed and a big crowd too. This time things were all sucked up. One thing that added to this was the time of the year. What sporting shop buys in January??? they are not going to sell until Fall and maybe November , so what suppliers is going to stock in December , he's going to stock late summer for fall.

Most see the writing on the wall of what can happen and most are not doing anything about it. Going to be bad if something happens and not sure what the end will be. I guess all we can do is Pray and Hope It works out.

HighHook
05-14-2013, 03:24 AM
I will say this. If some of these laws in California pass all you good guys living in the real U.S wont have problems with ammo shortages. Problem solved for you. 5 cents tax per bullet. And the ban of all lead bullets and boolits... oooooh boy.

jcwit
05-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Back in the early 90's. We had trouble finding somethings, but if you drove from shop to shop you where able to find what you where looking for. Prices were higher but you did find most things. All the gun shows had what every you needed and a big crowd too. This time things were all sucked up. One thing that added to this was the time of the year. What sporting shop buys in January??? they are not going to sell until Fall and maybe November , so what suppliers is going to stock in December , he's going to stock late summer for fall.

Most see the writing on the wall of what can happen and most are not doing anything about it. Going to be bad if something happens and not sure what the end will be. I guess all we can do is Pray and Hope It works out.

Used to do the buying for our local hardware store and buying was done in the winter with imnediate shipping and 6 month dating. This was done with guns and ammo.