PDA

View Full Version : 0.411 400 gr with gas check

ELeeton
05-11-2013, 11:03 PM
I've been thinking about switching over to leaded fuel for my Sabatti 450/400. I haven't had much luck finding and 350, 370 or 400 grain bullets with gas checks. Years ago I had the good to cast my own but haven't now for a while. Is there anyone out there that y'all are aware could supply this? My internet searches have been less thatn successful.

Thanks,
Eric

ku4hx
05-12-2013, 02:41 PM
You need to be looking for the "400 Jeffery".

Google found this which may or may not suit your needs: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/282505/rcbs-1-cavity-bullet-mold-416-350-fn-416-caliber-417-diameter-350-grain-flat-nose-gas-check

I'm sure there are other results out there more to your liking.

ELeeton
05-12-2013, 06:27 PM
ku4hx,

Thanks for the info. Right now I'm not geared up to cast my own and was hoping to buy some bullets of the shelf until I can buy another melter and sizing set up.

Eric

Tatume
05-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Accurate Molds has a substantial selection of 340 - 400 gr 0.411" molds.

http://accuratemolds.com/

On top of that, Tom will make anything you desire.

ku4hx
05-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Right now I'm not geared up to cast my own and was hoping to buy some bullets

Lots of good info on this forum for all sorts of things, but "Cast Boolits" is geared to boolit casting generally and not so much to commercial boolit buying.

If all you want is to buy commercial cast boolits, there are plenty of websites to supply most any need. But as you're finding out cast boolits for a double rifle such as yours may not be in demand enough to warrant keeping them in stock.

As Tatume stated, you have choices for molds and that may be your only solution. His answer likely reflects how he understood your post too ... casting boolits.

ELeeton
05-13-2013, 10:39 AM
The "buying" is an interim measure until I can get geared up for production. Point taken as to this being a casting forum.

ku4hx
05-13-2013, 10:48 AM
The "buying" is an interim measure until I can get geared up for production. Point taken as to this being a casting forum.

Sounds like a plan to me. But I do have one question ... I'm just curious.

I fully understand buying guns for the fun of it, I've done it my whole life. But what are you planning on hunting with an "elephant gun" that requires you to go into "production". I'm not especially recoil sensitive, but a session with a 45-70 is maybe 30 rounds whereas a session with a 9mm for my wife and I can exceed 350 rounds. For 9mm, 40, 45 I need "production" capacity. But for a 45-70 I don't need nearly such high output. Shoot, even in my 44 Magnum and 454 Casull I have only two cavity molds.

Seriously, I'm just curious and am wondering what you're shooting with your Sabatti.

ELeeton
05-13-2013, 02:19 PM
ku4hx,

Not literal production. Right now I have zero equipment and supplies for casting. So buying all of the necessary equipment in supplies is gearing up for production albeit in a bit of colorful language. Thus far I have loaded the 400 gr. Hornady DGS jacketed bullets. I had been shooting 20-40 per session and with the thought of dropping to 300-350 gr thought that may pick up a bit.

Work had kept me out of the country quite a bit over the past ten years and consequently away from shooting so I have a bit of catching up to do. I've also started practicing shooting in various field positions which consumes more ammo. Once I have the basic equipment I also plan to expand into 9mm, 45 and 40. This will bring my wife and daughters into the equation necessitating a solid ammo supply.

ELeeton
05-13-2013, 02:20 PM
PS The scorpions have been especially bad this year so I may have to load a few extra rounds to deal with them.

ku4hx
05-13-2013, 02:49 PM
PS The scorpions have been especially bad this year so I may have to load a few extra rounds to deal with them.

I understand that more than you might think. 8-)

ku4hx
05-13-2013, 02:57 PM
ku4hx,

Not literal production. Right now I have zero equipment and supplies for casting. So buying all of the necessary equipment in supplies is gearing up for production albeit in a bit of colorful language. Thus far I have loaded the 400 gr. Hornady DGS jacketed bullets. I had been shooting 20-40 per session and with the thought of dropping to 300-350 gr thought that may pick up a bit.

Work had kept me out of the country quite a bit over the past ten years and consequently away from shooting so I have a bit of catching up to do. I've also started practicing shooting in various field positions which consumes more ammo. Once I have the basic equipment I also plan to expand into 9mm, 45 and 40. This will bring my wife and daughters into the equation necessitating a solid ammo supply.

Works for me. A couple of years ago, my wife started shooting and I've encouraged her every step of the way. My daughter is a natural with no bad habits and is better than all the rest of us. Too bad she has no interest at all.

As far as starting the process and building your inventory, you may have happened upon the worst time to start that. In the current political climate, and for other reasons I guess, ammunition and hand loading components are in extremely short supply. The same goes for certain pieces of equipment and their accessories. There is some evidence supplies are beginning to return to normal. This is not meant to discourage you, more of a "word to the wise" sort of thing: if you come across something you want and can buy it ... buy it now.

That's just my opinion and others have differing opinions. But the thing is, current "shortages" are a reality and it's all good and well to resist the consuming hordes and wait for a return to normalcy. More power to those that can. But it's also true "He who hesitates is lost" when it comes to getting what you want/need to fuel your latest obsession.

Dark Helmet
05-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Hornady has some 300 gr J-words meant for the 405 Win. that would be a little easier on the shoulder and wallet. I have used them both in my 411 KDF, they mike closer to .410 than the .411 Hornady calls them. I want a mold for my rifle too, but other things first.....
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/138446/hornady-interlock-bullets-405-caliber-411-diameter-300-grain-soft-point-box-of-50
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/114526/hornady-interlock-bullets-405-caliber-411-diameter-300-grain-flat-nose-box-of-50

ELeeton
05-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Dark Helmet,

I've been eyeballing those as well. Your 411 KDF has similar ballistics to the 416 Taylor if memory serves me correctly. I shoot a Taylor on occasion.

Dark Helmet
05-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Yes, 411 KDF~416 Taylor. But that 5 thousandths kinda throws a wrench in the works, doesn't it.
I want a mold similar to 338 Utra's here in post #4- http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?180607-It-s-here-it-s-here!!!&p=2040034

Beartooth has 335 and 375 gr. boolits in .417, maybe they would size them down for you? Also, they have a 300gr 410 pistol bullet. http://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

ELeeton
05-16-2013, 08:39 AM
That is indeed a good looking Boolit. I also like the cast boolit design software that was used to create it.