PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the primers gone, La La la La La La

Jim..47
05-11-2013, 06:10 PM
I haven't been able to buy any primers for months. How are you guys doing and how can you find them, that is except for Uncle Sam's hoard?

Bjornb
05-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Was looking for months, only found the occasional brick of something I didn't need. Last Saturday at local gun show: reloading dude had all types of primers for sale, no gouging. Bought 5000 LR, brand was S&B. Goes into primer pockets a little soft, but several guy on this forum have only good things to say about them.

uscra112
05-11-2013, 06:25 PM
I got a brick from Widener's just a month or so ago. Hated paying the HazMat, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

kartooo
05-11-2013, 06:33 PM
it's hit and miss around here
one shop i know gets em in form time to time and sells sm pistol primers for $35 1k.
the only lge pistol primers i have found are in a shop that sells them for $5 100 with a limit of 2 per visit....
powder is the same way, some shops with plenty and a good selection, some with only a few lbs.
i take a ride on my motorcycle druing the week and make the rounds to see what's available

dverna
05-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Mine are in the pole barn. With the way things are going, it is only prudent to have a minimum of one year supply on hand at all times. I stock a three year supply to ride out the shortages and stock back up when prices get back down.

With the cost of Haz-Mat if makes sense to buy 20-25k at a time. If you cannot afford to stock them, find others to split the order with.

Blintersifrid
05-11-2013, 10:19 PM
I got 10k Tula brand small pistol from DAGammo a couple of weeks ago. ( www.dagammo.com )
He's still got lg pistol mags and lg rifle mags left, as of when I write this, but you'll have to send him your info and get registered with the site before you can purchase. He sells a case (5k) at a time, shipping included in price, but $27.50 HazMat (of course) not.
The small pistol sold out in about 15 minutes, so I was glad I got mine.
He said that his next shipment will be in June.

Now, I just need powder. (And bullets, since The Wife has forbidden casting - for now! - so I have to buy them in, and they're almost as hard to find as primers.)

'Sifrid

btroj
05-11-2013, 10:26 PM
I find them in a cabinet in my loading room. I bought enough to cover a year or more of shooting.

Old Caster
05-11-2013, 11:37 PM
How can a wife forbid one to cast. Where is this world going to. What could her penalty possibly be if you disobey. If my wife tried that she would be in for a stern talking to.

sirgknight
05-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Two years ago I answered a local add on craigslist for the sale of 85,000 wolf primers. Over half of them (40,000) were LR, but there were also over 10,000 each of SP, SR, SRM and LRM. I purchased the entire batch for $700 and then turned around and sold 35,000 of the LR for $15/K and kept most everything else (for free). That was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime deal; I still have a few thousand of each size remaining. I bet that guy wishes he had those primers for sale today! Am I a believer in Wolf Primers? You betcha!!!!!!!! Especially the SRM for .223

jonp
05-12-2013, 07:14 AM
I went to the Dixie Classic in Raleigh last weekend and there was powder and primers to be had in quantjty. Prices for the most part were pre-hysteria. H110, 296, 2400, bullseye, even 4 lb jugs of unique. I should habe bought a couple of lbs of h110 and the jug of unique so I would not get caugjt short again but settled on 2lbs of 2400 for $21 each. Also bought 2,000 Tula lp for $28/1,000. Plenty of all primers inuding Rem, Win and CCI. After cruising about for a couple of hrs there was still powder and primers for sale. BTW: gun prices have come back down, too. AR's for under $1,000 not $2,000. Loaded ammo still high, though.

Rick Hodges
05-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Last week Jay's in Gaylord had CCI sp and CCI spm for 49.95 per thousand. They also had Win. large and small rifle and a lil powder. Winchester shotgun powders and an assortment of Alliant and Hodgdon rifle powders. Real pricey but available.

NSP64
05-12-2013, 08:25 AM
(And bullets, since The Wife has forbidden casting - for now! - so I have to buy them in, and they're almost as hard to find as primers.)

'Sifrid

3 step process
1) get her interested in shooting
2) get her a gun(pink if you have too)
3) Take her to range with 2 amounts of ammo. first amount is loaded with store bought bullets(say 50). Second lot with equal cost of cast boolit ammo (150 rounds). show her how much more bang for the buck she can have with you casting boolits.

jonp
05-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Last week Jay's in Gaylord had CCI sp and CCI spm for 49.95 per thousand. They also had Win. large and small rifle and a lil powder. Winchester shotgun powders and an assortment of Alliant and Hodgdon rifle powders. Real pricey but available.
CCI's were $34.95/1,000. your price seems high but you have to buy what you can for whatever price there is I guess

Jailer
05-12-2013, 09:55 AM

CCI's were $34.95/1,000. your price seems high but you have to buy what you can for whatever price there is I guess

That's been their normal price on CCI's for quite some time now. All others are $39.99/1k. You do get a 10% discount for purchases over 1k though.

Shiloh
05-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Mine are in the pole barn. With the way things are going, it is only prudent to have a minimum of one year supply on hand at all times. I stock a three year supply to ride out the shortages and stock back up when prices get back down.

With the cost of Haz-Mat if makes sense to buy 20-25k at a time. If you cannot afford to stock them, find others to split the order with.

Combined orders are the way to go. Really takes the sting out of haz-mat and shipping.

Shiloh

jdgabbard
05-12-2013, 11:25 AM
We never ran out of primers here (probably being so close geographically to powder valley). You've always been able to get them. But you are paying about $45-50 for 1k now, and you have a 1k limit just about anywhere you go.

jonp
05-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Gee, at $28/1,000 I should have bought all of them there and everyone could have done a group buy and I would have shipped out the extra for a small profit and still have saved everyone money.

ku4hx
05-12-2013, 11:43 AM
After the Clinton-caused run on ammunition and components, I vowed never again to let my stock get below a certain point. That's how I fight this particular battle. How does the old saying go, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." In the world of hand loading, I choose to be an ant and not a grasshopper.

357maximum
05-12-2013, 12:30 PM
what primer/powder/22lr shortage???? :mrgreen: I still suffer a lack of dedicated worforce at the bench, but supplies are not an issue.........anyone heard the story about the ant and the grasshopper...or was it a cricket.....the message stuck if the cast of characters did not. :lol:

Jim..47
05-12-2013, 01:10 PM
So has anyone tried these Tula primers and how are they? Does your accuracy suffer or any other problems?

jdgabbard
05-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Tula, and wolf, are the same. They're good primers, buy them if you can.

I too stock up and keep what I need on hand. Never again will I be at a shortage.

Blintersifrid
05-12-2013, 01:31 PM
How can a wife forbid one to cast. Where is this world going to. What could her penalty possibly be if you disobey. If my wife tried that she would be in for a stern talking to.
Some things just aren't worth the trouble. And I figure that this one is one that will work itself out. See below for why.

3 step process
1) get her interested in shooting
2) get her a gun(pink if you have too)
3) Take her to range with 2 amounts of ammo. first amount is loaded with store bought bullets(say 50). Second lot with equal cost of cast boolit ammo (150 rounds). show her how much more bang for the buck she can have with you casting boolits.

1 & 2) She has decided that she wants to learn to shoot. We have our "safety orientation" appointment at a local range on Tuesday evening. After that, we'll see, but she's already vetoed a pink gun. She does not want a gun that, in her words, "looks like a toy."
3) We've already been over the "here's $30 worth of store-bought ammo (2 boxes), here's $30 worth of reloaded ammo" thing. We did that when I started reloading. Now I'll have to do the same thing with home-cast boolits. (Although how I'm gonna do that and pile 'em up in front of her when she won't let me make 'em, I don't know. Maybe I can find a local caster who'll let me buy $20 worth of lead and help me pour it. Anybody in the Utica/Rome, NY area willing to help?)

So has anyone tried these Tula primers and how are they? Does your accuracy suffer or any other problems?

As far as I know, Tula makes Wolf, so they should be pretty well the same. It's basically the same relationship CCI and Federal have: same company, different brand. I got them on the recommendation of a reloader on the Hi Point forum (and because they were the ONLY ones I could find, anywhere!), and I haven't had a chance to burn any of mine yet, but I will be as soon as I can get to the range!

'Sifrid

Blintersifrid
05-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Tula, and wolf, are the same. They're good primers, buy them if you can.

I too stock up and keep what I need on hand. Never again will I be at a shortage.

Dang it! You beat me to it!

'Sifrid

jonp
05-12-2013, 03:37 PM
I just bought 2,000 Tula primers. Can't tell any between them and federal/rem etc except in my wallet

Shiloh
05-12-2013, 04:37 PM
After the Clinton-caused run on ammunition and components, I vowed never again to let my stock get below a certain point. That's how I fight this particular battle. How does the old saying go, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." In the world of hand loading, I choose to be an ant and not a grasshopper.

;-) Used up the last of the Klinton Scare primers a few years ago.

Shiloh

Blintersifrid
05-12-2013, 06:29 PM
I just bought 2,000 Tula primers. Can't tell any between them and federal/rem etc except in my wallet

Yeah, I was always told that, unless you were talking magnums vs. non-mags, primers were primers and not to worry about brands.

Of course, I hear that for shotguns, it makes a difference and that a load that works beautifully with Brand A primers may be horrible (or even dangerous) with Brand B.

'Sifrid

Jim..47
05-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I was always told that, unless you were talking magnums vs. non-mags, primers were primers and not to worry about brands.

Of course, I hear that for shotguns, it makes a difference and that a load that works beautifully with Brand A primers may be horrible (or even dangerous) with Brand B.

'Sifrid

That follows true for rifles and handguns too. Its a pure myth that you can use any primer you want and be Ok. I have somewhere a primer heat range chart by brand, but I can't find it, but I'm sure if you searched you would find it.

Jailer
05-12-2013, 10:14 PM

'Sifrid

Only thing I would add is if you run a light trigger spring then Federals is what you want. They are all I run in my IDPA gun and my Marlin 1895.

Alan in Vermont
05-12-2013, 10:21 PM
[QUOTE=Blintersifrid;2212888 Now I'll have to do the same thing with home-cast boolits. (Although how I'm gonna do that and pile 'em up in front of her when she won't let me make 'em, I don't know. [/QUOTE]

Why won't she "let" you make them?

41 mag fan
05-13-2013, 08:25 AM
man oh man....my wife says something like that, I purposely would start casting just to show her she's not going to tell me what I can and can't do.

Sorry, just how it works around here. I don't tell her what she can or can't do, and she doesn't me.

Blintersifrid
05-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Why won't she "let" you make them?

She tells me that there are two reasons: 1) I'm a klutz and 2) we have two kids under 10. I admit to both of these, but I know enough to respect hot metal, let alone liquid metal, as I am also learning (in an on-again, off-again fashion) blacksmithing from a friend.

Partially, I think she just doesn't understand how good making something yourself feels, since she's not a crafter. I think, though, that if I could pile up a bunch of boolits and show her how much money it would save over buying them in, she'd be more open to the idea. And I'm sure that if I could get her reloading then I can get her interested in casting them herself - at which point her objection to me being a klutz goes away.

As for why I don't just go ahead and cast my own anyway, see post #22: some things are just not worth the fight they will cause. And I fully expect that the problem will work itself out once she's actually shooting herself.

man oh man....my wife says something like that, I purposely would start casting just to show her she's not going to tell me what I can and can't do.

Sorry, just how it works around here. I don't tell her what she can or can't do, and she doesn't me.

I've been searching for a way to respond to this that won't get me in trouble (well, more trouble, anyway) if The Wife finds the post. I can't think of one that'll guarantee that particular outcome, so I'll answer with: ours doesn't work quite like that.

'Sifrid

BBQJOE
05-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Small and large primers. $59.95/1000. 3000 minimum purchase.
http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BSS&Category_Code=29C

jonp
05-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Small and large primers. $59.95/1000. 3000 minimum purchase.
http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BSS&Category_Code=29C
Unless that includes shipping your paying too much. Find a local gunshow. It would be cheapef to make a day of it and drive 100miles

jonp
05-13-2013, 01:59 PM
ri
That follows true for rifles and handguns too. Its a pure myth that you can use any primer you want and be Ok. I have somewhere a primer heat range chart by brand, but I can't find it, but I'm sure if you searched you would find it.
All I can say is that I have Fiocchi, Tula, CCI, Federal and Remington primers on my shelf and I have noticed no difference in either ignition or accuracy. I have heard Feds are harder so might not work with a lighter spring.

fcvan
05-13-2013, 02:04 PM
I would think that if the wife doesn't want you casting because of a) klutz, and b) small children, you might consider finding a local casting buddy. Somebody who can show you the ropes and provide a different area (away from where your children might be) to learn to cast. My first wife was rather concerned about my casting when my babies were babies. I took to utilizing redundant measures to ensure I didn't leave a mess or cause undue splatter. After the next doctors visits (annual, whole family) she could see there were no lead absorption issues and quit voicing concern.

Once the wife can see that casting is not only cost effective and safe, she might develop a better understanding. If not, well you can always keep casting at the buddy/mentor's place and then she can complain about you being gone. Some ladies will always find something to complain about.

The first wife always complained (come to think about it, she complained about everything) about my reloading and shooting. One day I got off work and went shooting with friends and she wasn't home to tell her where I went. I came home a few hours later and asked 'where've you been?' and I told her 'out with Mike, Natale, and Ginger' (coworkers) and she replied 'Thank God, I thought you went shooting again.' That's when I told her 'Mike brought his .45, Natale brought her .357, and Ginger brought her .380 Mustang.' It seemed she would rather I'd been out getting into some sort of mischief than out shooting. My current wife likes me reloading as it supplies HER shooting habit.

labradigger1
05-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Brogans long shot in athens wv has a pile of primers, every thing reloading is there. phone # is 304 384 3232. no website, have to stop by or call. they do ship. you can thank me later

freebullet
05-13-2013, 02:52 PM
My wife's first response to me casting was "I wanna try it" she has made almost 2k boolits thus far. I don't do it in the house though & we have the equipment to abate lead when done. Her second reply was "when will they be loaded so I can shoot them all" and she was strait faced & serious. She commonly runs off with the ammo, Sheesh some women.

BBQJOE
05-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Unless that includes shipping your paying too much. Find a local gunshow. It would be cheapef to make a day of it and drive 100miles
I'm not saying that I approve. Just pointing where some are available, if ya gotta have some.

LittleBill
05-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Here in PA we are replete with gun shops, and even have a Cabela's nearby. Cabela's has been out of primers for so long they have changed the spot on the shelves where they used to be. But some of the local stores have them. The guy I usually go to has been limiting people to packs of 500 per visit, but this past weekend I was in another store about an hour from me where he must have had about 20-30 1000 count packages. I bought a pack from him for $37 and change. It is more than I am used to paying, but less than what a lot of people I know are reporting.

xacex
05-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Just got a case ordered that should be here any day. 5000 small rifle primers from DAGammo. Tula of course. The price has gone up quite a bit. I paid almost 40$ a 1000 shipped including hazmat. The last ones I bought from them were 33$ a thousand after shipping and hazmat.

jonp
05-13-2013, 07:58 PM
I just got an email from them. 1000 LPM were $59 + Hazmat. They have some LPM, LR and something else and expect more primers in soon. Considering the Tula LP I just bought a the gunshow were $27.99 that is twice the price . Yikes! But at least they have some.
I should have bought more that the 2 sleeves I did but I didn't want to be a hog.

xacex
05-14-2013, 01:58 PM
It seems they are going through a years supply in a week so they have to raise prices to slow the pace a bit. I hate to see it, but it goes back down after the panic I would call it a success. Most likely the price will stay the same and continue to go up. I was down to my last K of srp's so it was pay now or later. Out here it seems that the longer this is going on the worse it is.

JWFilips
05-14-2013, 02:14 PM
ri
All I can say is that I have Fiocchi, Tula, CCI, Federal and Remington primers on my shelf and I have noticed no difference in either ignition or accuracy. I have heard Feds are harder so might not work with a lighter spring.

No.....Federal Pistol primers are the softest of the lot.. That's what you need to run if you have switched out your springs for lighter ones. At least that has been my experience.

Voodoocld
05-14-2013, 02:20 PM
I haven't noticed any difference in primers. Just buy them when you find them, and as many as you can!

merlin101
05-14-2013, 02:34 PM
I haven't seen much out there for primers (cept shotgun) I was at a local flea market and lo and behold what do I see but a bunch of primers! The guy had mostly LRP but I did find a few hundred SRP $3 per 100 and SPP also $3. I didn't take them all figureing others need em too. He had LOTS of bench rest LRP. I was surprised to any of them a few booths down a guy was scalping boxes of mix master ammo at $20 for 50 rnds of .38 wadcutters!

jonp
05-14-2013, 02:47 PM
No.....Federal Pistol primers are the softest of the lot.. That's what you need to run if you have switched out your springs for lighter ones. At least that has been my experience.
I read somewhere one brand was harder than others and thot it was Feds. Anyone know which it was?

otter5555
05-14-2013, 03:09 PM
my LGS got a shipment of primers/powder this am, 1st shipment for the YEAR and it aint a small shop.

plenty of primers but not much powder. they HOPE to get one more shipment before christmas.

i didnt need anything but bought a couple thousand lpp and a pound of 4227 for the kid that works for me. teaching him to load/cast for his SBH.

btw, prices were near (old) normal.

otter

w0fms
05-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Picked up 1K CCI 500's today from my local shop for $31. It was like Christmas in May. Limit 1 per day. Maybe I'll luck out and get another K tomorrow.. I was completely out. Having said that, I suspect by the end of the summer things will improve...

destrux
05-14-2013, 03:57 PM
I read somewhere one brand was harder than others and thot it was Feds. Anyone know which it was?

CCI and Winchester

I do know never to use Federal in ANYTHING that has a non-spring loaded firing pin. I loaded up some SKS ammo with federal primers once and learned what slam-fire means. Which kind of sucks right now because all I have is Federal LR primers on hand so I can't load anything for my SKS or AK. I'm going to buy a spring loaded firing pin for the SKS just to be able to use them up.

My experience with the Wolf/Tula primers is they are very accurate, but the Small Rifle Magnum variety that I'm using don't like to ignite ball powder. It was a no-go with H335. I had about a 50% misfire rate. They work perfectly with extruded though, I've loaded and fired a couple hundred .223 with H4198 and 40gr V-Max and they shoot about 1MOA out of my Doublestar carbine.