PDA

View Full Version : Trick for 700x metering.

BBQJOE
05-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Due to the shortage of powders, we all know we have to try and use what we can get our hands on.
A little while back my wife came home with 2 jars of 700x.
I found load info, and proceeded to try to work up some 9mm.
I was going for anything around 3.5-3.7 using my lee loadmaster.
Holy hell, did this meter awful. I was throwing loads as light as 1gr, and anywhere inbetween. So I loaded up some rounds by hand just to see how well they shot, and they were fine.
I decided to put the powder away until I really needed it.
Not long ago I got a PM from someone elsewhere who said he had the same problem, and solved it by adding a little graphite to the powder. Just a teaspoon or two for the whole bottle, and shake it up. He also noted that he chrono'd the loads with and without, and showed no difference.
I gave his method a try, and this stuff meters pretty damn well now.
Just thought I'd share.

bbqncigars
05-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Since you mentioned it, I'll put this offer out to the brethren. PM me your snailer if you want a some Microfyne graphite powder. I've got a couple of lifetime supplys worth in two 1 pound jars. This works great as a case neck lubricant as well. The downside is that it is so fine that it will not completely wash off of your hands. It gets into the pores, and nothing but time will remove it.

w5pv
05-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Another trick with the 700x and other powders is to attach(I use a large rubber band)a el cheap-o battery operated tooth brush to viberate the powder it will cause more constientce powder throw.

Fernando
05-15-2013, 07:22 PM
baffle

timtonya
05-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Pm sent for graphite powder if the offer still stands.

Thanks

Bzcraig
05-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Since you mentioned it, I'll put this offer out to the brethren. PM me your snailer if you want a some Microfyne graphite powder. I've got a couple of lifetime supplys worth in two 1 pound jars. This works great as a case neck lubricant as well. The downside is that it is so fine that it will not completely wash off of your hands. It gets into the pores, and nothing but time will remove it.

Pm sent for graphite if still available.

randyrat
05-18-2013, 06:16 AM
Yes you are right 700X can be a problem. I tap the charge handle a minimum of 3 times. Be sure you do it consistently. When your talking 3-10 grains you can be way off with just a little.

GabbyM
05-19-2013, 03:06 AM
Yes you are right 700X can be a problem. I tap the charge handle a minimum of 3 times. Be sure you do it consistently. When your talking 3-10 grains you can be way off with just a little.

I agree some sort of shake and bake routine. I run it in a Dillon machine and after I get it settled down initially it meters just fine. Then I try to keep the powder hopper over half full so it gets shaken down as I load. 700X is a powder I have for loading shotgun shells. Would not be my firs choice for a had gun.

BBQJOE
05-19-2013, 09:48 AM
I agree some sort of shake and bake routine. I run it in a Dillon machine and after I get it settled down initially it meters just fine. Then I try to keep the powder hopper over half full so it gets shaken down as I load. 700X is a powder I have for loading shotgun shells. Would not be my firs choice for a had gun.
I'm more of a Unique or power pistol guy when it comes to 9mm. But hey, that was what was on the shelf; whataya gonna do?
I've read more than a few posts around the net where people have great results with it in 9 and 45.
I tried the vibrator thing, but when my wife walked into the shop and saw it, she wanted it back.

(Just kidding)