PDA

View Full Version : First time in a long time.

Ed Barrett
05-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Yesterday I was indulging in one of my regular springtime Passions. That's shooting brown headed cow birds that come around the bird feeders. I had one in my sights and had a dude .22. I removed it and and reinserted 180 degrees nothing again. Shuck it in my pocket and took down to the shop. Pulled the bullet and dumped the powder in the "for the garden" can, looked down the case and couldn't see any primer compound. I cut the case open and there was no priming at all. It was a hollow point Winchester Bulk box 555 per box. The box is about two years old. I have shot about half of the and have not had any problems with any others yet. Has anyone else had any problems? I tried to remember when the last time was that I had a dude .22 lr, the last time I could remember was 10 years ago and I remembered that since it was at a match and blew a very good string. This ammo was made before the present shortage so I don't think that is the problem.

starmac
05-11-2013, 11:54 AM
It happens pretty regular, but most fire on the second strike it seems like.

DLCTEX
05-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Most of the problems I have with 22 ammo is with Remington ammo. I don't recall any misfires with other brands, but accuracy will change with brands from gun to gun and what one prefers will be atrocious in another.

41 mag fan
05-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Most of the problems I have with 22 ammo is with Remington ammo. I don't recall any misfires with other brands, but accuracy will change with brands from gun to gun and what one prefers will be atrocious in another.

Same with me.... Remingtons I had alot of duds.

jcwit
05-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Hey, be glad they weren't charging over they hill screaming, while you were messing with that dud.

gray wolf
05-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Ive see this a few times with different 22LR Ammo, dump the powder and NO P-compound.

WILCO
05-11-2013, 07:47 PM
I've seen that a time or two when pulling down rimfire mis-fires.

HangFireW8
05-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Common with bulk pack, even Win but especially Rem. I've even pulled one Rem with primer and no powder, glad I didn't try too shoot it. Did have a squib with old cheap PMC Target, left a bullet in the bore just far enough that the next one chambered. Knew better than to try, though.

TXGunNut
05-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Had more than a few Thunderbolts that were duds. Too bad, my 10-22 actually seems to like them...when they fire.

merlin101
05-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Last time I had a .22 I took a bulk box of remmy T-bolts and had a couple that sounded off and seemed dirty (more than normal) no squibs but I did pop the bolt out 2x just to make sure I could see day light at the end of the tunnel. I guess now would be a good time to sell/trade em off.

km101
05-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Have had misfires/duds with both Remington and Federal. But more Remington. I have not taken the time to take them apart, but I always try to fire them a second time before I declare them a dud and none would fire. I had more than half a dozen out of one bulk pack of Remington that was about 3 years old. Many of the rounds in the pack had loose bullets. Appeared to be insufficient crimp. You could hear the difference in the report when they fired. Not real fond of Rem. bulk packs any more.

lylejb
05-11-2013, 11:44 PM
I had 1 sort of "reverse dud" It was from a box of fed American Eagle. It was a primed, crimped, empty case. No bullet, no powder, just the case.

We looked in the box thinking maybe, somehow, it came apart in the box....nope.

Maineboy
05-11-2013, 11:54 PM
With the price I USED to pay for bulk ammo, I can forgive a dud or two. For the price I pay NOW for bulk ammo, it had better perform like match ammo.

winelover
05-12-2013, 07:44 AM
I expect the occasional misfire from rimfire ammo. After all, that's why centerfire ammunition was developed. Most fire on the second strike. Over the years, I have bought lots of bricks of Thunderbolts and have not experienced the magnitude of misfires that some others have. No more so than Winchester, Federal or CCI Blazer. Of course I'm still working on my stash that is dated 1995. Gonna take me years to get up to the more recent purchases.

Winelover

Winelover