PDA

View Full Version : Making bullets for the fun of it.

BBQJOE
05-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I now have tons of bullets for all my calibers.
I really enjoy casting, especially when the gods smile and everything is working in harmony.
There's just something about taking garbage, and turning it into something shiny, beautiful, and useful.
There's also something to be said for sitting in solitude, doing something rather mundane and repetitive, that brings a reflective feeling of peace, and contentment, as well as accomplishment.
I need more bullets like I need one in the head, but I think I'll fire up the pot, and cast some anyways.

Good day.

Andrew Mason
05-11-2013, 10:14 AM
i am at the point now,
that i enjoy casting and reloading than i do shooting.

and when i am at the range, i spend more time picking up brass and mining lead than i do shooting.

downwind
05-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Funny how that works

I find myself casting boolits for guns I don't even own

Of course they are from molds that I "aquired" for those said guns that I don't own.....................

YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOWNWIND

Blintersifrid
05-11-2013, 10:18 AM
That's why it's a hobby - you can keep doing it beyond the "need" for more.
If you feel the need to justify it - and you do not need to beyond "because I enjoy it!" - you've given excellent reasons in your post.

I, too, find something wonderful in taking base materials and turning them into something of much greater utility and value. In my case, that's usually cooking - but other "crafty" activities give me the same joy.

I say: Fire away, and enjoy your time doing it!

'Sifrid

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Funny how that works
I find myself casting boolits for guns I don't even own

YEP, yesterday and today, I am casting with a unique mold that I have no gun for currently, this mold is in the process to being sold (waiting for funds). I'm not sure how many to cast...I'm near 500 now...by the end of the day, it'll be 1000 I suspect.
Jon

Shiloh
05-11-2013, 11:19 AM
i am at the point now,
that i enjoy casting and reloading than i do shooting.

and when i am at the range, i spend more time picking up brass and mining lead than i do shooting.

You too?? Don't get me wrtong though, I still love shooting. In fact, I'm heading out right now.

Shiloh

Threepersons
05-11-2013, 03:53 PM
The only reason to go shooting is to have brass to reload.
Casting is one hobby. Preparing brss and reloading is hobby
No. 2. Shooting comes in third place. Went to the SASS range
today and didn't even get the itch to shoot.

bbqncigars
05-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Sometimes I reload to shoot, and sometimes I shoot so I can reload.

Shedhunter
05-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Casting is a way to escape and take my mind off other things. Keeps a guy out of trouble also.

oldpara
05-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Ahhh, kindred spirits !

I use to shoot on rifle teams, use to hunt like a nut.
Now I spend most of my (our) hobby time casting and dreaming up new bullets.
Making crappy looking stuff into nice shiny stuff, (we humans love shiny stuff ), is relaxing, and rewarding in it's own way.