PDA

View Full Version : removing bell from casing

krallstar
05-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Not sure if this is were this goes. I am loading 180gr tc .40. I used to load up a bunch with the crimp not touching the case. The after i would loosen the seater plug and screw down the die to remove the bell. This was kinda a pain. So last week i bought a lee taper crimp die for my .40. Not sure about this die. It works but not sure if it's normal. When i use this die it seems to cam over when used. It catches the case mouth and does remove the bell but leaves abit of brass and lead shavings around the case head and bullet. And it leaves a shiny ring on the first part of the case. I tried backing die out but then it would not touch case mouth.

Green Frog
05-11-2013, 08:57 AM
When I use a "four die" set, I set the seating die to place the bullet and remove the bell. The taper crimp die is just to finish the outer diameter to factory specs. Of course with a 3 die set, the seating die usually seats the bullet and crimps the case mouth around the bullet. I think your problem is that the taper crimp die doesn't have an open-enough taper at the start to turn the mouth in. JMHO, YMMV. 8-)

Froggie

krallstar
05-11-2013, 09:12 AM
That's what i thought. I have a lyman 9mm taper die and it does not do that cam over. Can i open or smooth out the beginning of this die.

Shiloh
05-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Crimping is a separate, 4th station operation.

krallstar
05-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Right, seat bullet no crimp. Move to Lee taper crimp die and adjust just enough to remove bell.

mdi
05-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Whatever you call it, semi-auto ammo isn't crimped, but a taper crimp die is used to remove any flare in the case mouth, after the bullet is seated (in my case it's in the 4th station of my turret press). Ferget the term "crimp" and think "Deflaring"...

Alan in Vermont
05-11-2013, 10:54 AM
On 40 S&W you can do a very nice "deflaring" by using a 30-30 die, I don't remember if it's the sizer or the seater but think I use the seater, screwed in just enough that the 40 case runs into the gentle taper of the die body. Because the taper is so slight it accomodates variations in case length without over crimping long cases. Adjustment is strictly trial and error but once you get that done it works 100% slick.

plainsman456
05-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Neat trick,i need to try this.

Thanks