PDA

View Full Version : H&R 45-70 handi rifle

vmathias
05-11-2013, 02:12 AM
Any experiences with this rifle loaded with cast boolits? How it performs in the 45-70??

WHITETAIL
05-11-2013, 07:47 AM
vmathias, You need to get a limsaver.
It is a slip on recoil pad.
As for feeding this gun I was useing the
Gould boolit (300gr,) Lyman.
Iwas getting the boolits to touch at 100yds.:holysheep

vmathias
05-11-2013, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=WHITETAIL;2210902]vmathias, You need to get a limsaver.
It is a slip on recoil pad.
As for feeding this gun I was useing the
Gould boolit (300gr,) Lyman.
Iwas getting the boolits to touch at 100yds.:holysheep[/

They kick that much huh. :-)

05-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Recoil on that one really depends on the weight of the boolit and speed with which you send it. I usually use a 420 boolit so recoil was an issue for range trips. Hunting never really cared. To address my recoil, I installed a mercury recoil reducer in the butt stock. Simple slip in installation that even I could do. Now it's a ***** cat. When I do my part from the bench, I can frequently get that magic clover leaf at 100 yards. And talk about a game getter!!!. It's my go to when meat is the mission. I never have gone too much beyond trap door level loads. They hit like a Mac truck, get the work done, and are very accurate. You're going to love it.

Bjornb
05-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Handi stocks come with recoil pads installed (except for the Buffalo Classic). For both my BC and my short 45-70 Handi I filled the stock bolt hole with buckshot; it balances the rifle and adds another 1 1/2 lbs. to the weight. Shooting 340 gr. boolits over 10 grs. of Unique doesn't kick much at all, after 50 or more rounds you still won't feel it. Next level up (e.g. 405 gr. boolit, 20grs. 2400) is far more substantial as far as recoil, but still manageable. 1800-2000 fps big game hunting loads with 405 gr. boolits (see your loading manual) can be punishing with a Handi. The rifle, however, is said to be capable of Ruger # 1 loads. YMMV.

Catshooter
05-11-2013, 11:27 PM
The recoil is, as said, dependent upon the load.

I like a 500 grainer over 10 to 15 grains of Universal Clays. 900 to about 1200 fps. Very nice, very, very accurate. Hits like the hammer of Thor. Recoil? Sure there's some but like Jeff Cooper says, most recoil is in the head.

Round balls weigh about 145 grains and loaded over a small charge of Red Dot are a delight.

The 45-70 is a wonderful delight of a cartridge. Incredibly versatile. The very first rounds out of my H&R gave me an inch and an eighth group at 100 yards. I call that accurate, at least accurate enough for me and mine.

Have fun with yours and welcome to the forum.

Cat

DLCTEX
05-11-2013, 11:41 PM
I find the 460-350 RD more fun to shoot with SR-4759 powder. Save the heavier boolits for elephant hunting.

fcvan
05-12-2013, 02:36 PM
I have a Classic Carbine in 45 Colt, which like the Buffalo Classic has a crescent steel butt plate. Let me tell you, the steel butt is very efficient at transferring energy to the shoulder with minimal loss of energy. Hot loads from that light rifle can really smart.

I want to get the 32" 45-70 barrel for the rifle for the longer sight radius and the additional weight. I have looked at the 'period' looking lace-on leather recoil pads and think that would be a good addition to the weapon. I had a buddy who put a mercury recoil buffer in the stock of his .375 H&H and the unit looked like it could be fit in the stock of the H&R. Just putting shot in the stock to increase the weight and bring the balance point further back is a great 'poor man's alternative.'

Silverboolit
05-12-2013, 03:07 PM
There is a forum on Greybeard's Outdoors that is H&R specific. They have a lot of info.