PDA

View Full Version : Wiping off LLA after loading

Namerifrats
09-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Anybody do this? I'm just wondering what could be used to wipe the LLA off the exposed portion of the bullet after loading them to prevent the stickyness. Would mineral spirits of Go Gone work without possibly getting into the case and ruining the powder? I thinking a little on a cloth shouldn't get into the case.

454PB
09-12-2007, 12:33 AM
I've used both brake cleaner and Gunscrubber, they work well but the fumes are pretty nasty. Paint thinner/ mineral spirits should work well too.

I tried plain old rubbing alcohol to avoid the fumes, but it didn't work nearly as well.

Namerifrats
09-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Nice, thanks for the info!

Single Shot
09-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Mineral Spirits works great. It is what Lee suggests on the bottle for thinning the LLA

Just a dab on a paper towel works for me.

medicstimpy
09-12-2007, 02:09 AM
Really? We should wipe the completed rounds? Actually it makes a lot of sense. If we wipe off excess regular lube why wouldn't we wipe off the LLA.

Maybe that's what ended up in the barrel of my 9mm. But why didn't it get fouled in the two 45's? I'll try passing a patch with Varsol and see if it's brown or lead that comes out.

Good Tip! :drinks:

Namerifrats
09-12-2007, 02:43 AM
I just don't want the sticky mess and lint and other junk sticking to the bullets. I personally like the look of a clean bullet myself.

jonk
09-12-2007, 09:26 AM
I agree, it is mainly cosmetic- and I'm not going to do it as it is too much trouble for me. But if I were- it's gonna take some pretty strong stuff to dissolve dried alox. Acetone would be my first try- outside wearing nitrile gloves.

black44hawk
09-12-2007, 11:26 AM
I have used a rag sprayed with a little rem. oil which worked fine. I would expect WD40 to perform as well.

DanM
09-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Or you can tumble them with a little Midway Mica powder before loading. It bonds to your soft lube and the sticky problem is gone. I can't prove it, but I think the mica helps the lube work better too. That is just a feeling I have, someone with more experience might know for sure....

jack19512
09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
I am probably in the minority but I have never bothered doing this.

Black Wolf
09-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I use a large cleaning patch damped with Mineral Spirits. I feel that yes, it is cosmetic but it also prevents gunk from sticking to the lead; especially if you drop one on the range in the sand or dirt.

leftiye
09-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Too much LLA will get stuck in your seating die and screw thangs up. Same in your gun's chamber. Couple of other threads here recently about this. One about gumming up a .45 auto. A little lube on the shoulder of the boolit should help travel through forcing cones and engraving though. I don't wipe it all off. If you don't want sticky, dip lube in Carnauba or castor wax.

exblaster
09-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Is not cleaning the lube off cases and chambers like shooting a proof round every time?I have heard lube will reduce the case grip on the chamber and cause excess loading on the action.
Exblaster

leftiye
09-14-2007, 05:16 PM
EX,
Yes it will. Unless you're right at max, and the breeching mech. can't take any more, it's not too critical. During the second WW a lot of G.I.s would clean their ammo for their .45s and lightly oil their ammo (to avoid FTFs) while they were cleaning their weapons. FWIW

Ricochet
09-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Yes, a gun that's endangered by the increased breech thrust of a lubricated cartridge is running WAY too close to the edge of disaster already. If it's safe to shoot, it's safe to shoot oiled. In many cases the chamber is left oily from cleaning operations, whether the shooter realizes it or not. Same thing.

And in the situation of firing neck sized cases that have already been fireformed to the chamber, there's not free headspace to allow for the tensile strength of the brass and friction between the case and walls to reduce the back thrust. The case head is already against the breech face, and the full gas pressure against the inside of the head will be applied to the breech.

SharpsShooter
09-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I use a rag and hoppes #9. Works great and ya can't beat the nice smell.

SS

trickyasafox
09-14-2007, 09:32 PM
maybe im not using enough LLA but my bullets aren't tacky enough to pick up junk. 357max told me how to lean it with some mineral spirits and i haven't had any problems.

pumpguy
09-14-2007, 10:56 PM
I put on a pair of nitrile gloves and soak a cotton cloth with mineral spirits. I usually throw the loaded rounds in a can and wipe them down with a dry cloth before I put them in the plastic cartridge case. If you don't use the nitrile gloves, your hands will smell like Alox and mineral spirits for about the next three or four showers.

PatMarlin
09-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Ballistol. The one does all product on my bench. I love that stuff. Bore cleaner, gun lube, wood and rubber conditioner/preservative, black powder moose juice, electronic contact preservative. LLA remover. All around boolit lube remover. Case cleaner.. non toxic.