PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Needs Help

Mark in NM
05-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Hello,

Looked around the site and could not find anything to answer a question I have, I apologize if I overlooked it somewhere.

I am new to bullet casting, I inherited my Dad's molds etc. and I'm having difficulties with one mold in particular, a Lyman 410429 for .41 mag. The castings drop from the mold under weight, they are referenced at 220 grains, and they drop at various weights of 204.5 to 209.8 measured on both an analog and a digital scale. The other moulds are producing their respective advertised weights with my melt, I did everything the same. I understand keeping things consistent, my melt has not deviated.

Out of frustration, I've tried 50/50 WW and linotype, 25/75 WW and linotype, and lastly all WW. The WW material I personally scrapped, and that lot has been used throughout. The bullets from the problem mold are well defined, sharp driving bands, and are highly satisfactory with exception to them being underweight.

I'm perplexed and seeking the counsel of anyone willing to share their knowledge.

Thank you,
Mark

Tatume
05-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Hi Mark,

If the bullets are well formed and shoot well, don't worry about the weight. There's not much you can do about it anyway.

Take care, Tom

ku4hx
05-10-2013, 05:10 PM
What weights did your various alloys cast? It might be good to know to get a trend of sorts.

I have a Lyman mold I bought around 1970 (429215) and it's advertised weight of 215 grains is dead on with Linotype metal. In fact, Lyman lists loads for that bullet with the note "Linotype". If I cast it from 92% Lead/2% Tin/6% Antimony, it consistently weighs 228 grains. My Lee 10mm/40 175 grain molds cast consistently at 178 grains. Advertised weight is based on a given alloy and what the maker uses may not be what you're using.

If the boolits are good quality and do what you want; enjoy them. Some molds simply do not cast as advertised and some newer Lyman molds I've bought cast slightly undersized boolits which lead to lighter than advertised weights.

jsheyn
05-10-2013, 05:11 PM
What diameter is the 41 dropping?

Mark in NM
05-10-2013, 05:16 PM
The bullets are dropping at .4118 pretty consistent, not measured on the seam. I did try a few with all linotype, and they weighed less than the originals I spoke of, coming out at 201.3??

MtGun44
05-10-2013, 05:39 PM
No need for pure lino, that stuff is really high now. Cut it with 50% pure lead and you will have a good
alloy, maybe add a few inches of tin solder (current solder for copper pipe is nearly all tin) to a pot.

SIze to the diameter of the front of the cylinders (throat) and you should be good to go.

Underweight is an accounting or labeling issue, not a shooting or casting issue. Ignore.

Bill

Mark in NM
05-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Thank you guys...

Bill, is there a good source for pure lead ? I've had a difficult time just getting my hands on WW to scrap myself. The Linotype I'm well stocked with.

Bucking the Tiger
05-10-2013, 06:15 PM
If you have linotype, you are set. You can make Lyman#2 alloy by mixing 4 lbs linotype, 5 1/2 pounds lead( scrap yard, Ebay, Rotometals.com..most any decent lead..pipe or sheeting...just no battery lead) and 1/2 lb tin( I use plumbers solder, but a lot less than 1/2 pound: I roll out about 30 inches and dunk it in the furnace). this formula will make 9-10 lbs of #2 alloy. (taken from Lyman Cast Bullet Book, 4th edition, pg.297)
The days of easy wheelweights are over( more's the pity!) but with linotype and any decent lead, you are in fine shape!

Mark in NM
05-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Thank you for the help, looking forward to learning more here.
Mark

44man
05-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Mark, if you have a mold listed at 220 gr and ACTUALLY drops 220 gr boolits, you will be an exception here.
It is just not important if the boolits cast good.
Load work still depends on drive band length, seating depth and the length of the boolit.
Work the alloy for no leading and accuracy, never the weight it casts at.
I have a lot of big sticks around here and if you see me put a boolit on a scale you are free to smack me.

runfiverun
05-10-2013, 09:36 PM
I have a bunch of revolver boolits I shoot that I can tell you diameter, alloy temp I cast them at, lube I used, and load details from memory.
but I have no clue what they actually weigh.
same with most of my alloy, I don't really know the bhn or how much tin is in it all.
all I know is there is 3,000 pounds of it, it's all mixed up as one big batch of alloy.
it makes nice well filled out boolits in all my molds and gets harder when I water drop it.
one of my molds needs a pound of linotype added to 8 pounds of it to make the exact diameter of boolits my rifle needs.
that's bout all I know or need to know about it really.

wallenba
05-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Everybody here has your back. As stated, the weight will vary with the alloy being used. Keeping consistency is more important than the stated target weight. Think of it this way, if you vary as much as two grains in weight, that is about the weight of two first class postage stamps.

Mark in NM
05-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks to all of you, I really appreciate your advise and experience.

Best to you all !

Mark

fcvan
05-11-2013, 01:23 AM
Advertised boolit weights are like Pirate rules, really just guidelines. My Saeco 415 is supposed to drop 220 but goes about 228 with WW. My Lee 410-195 SWC drops at 205, also with WW. Those are just my 41 molds, other calibers vary just as much.