PDA

View Full Version : Moose vs wolves

RugerFan
05-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Great pics of a Cow moose defending her calf from a wolf pack.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2320652/Wolf-vs-moose-Mother-fights-tooth-nail-save-newborn-killers-clutches-Alaskan-wilderness.html

MtGun44
05-10-2013, 05:30 PM
They are decimating wildlife everywhere they are not controlled.

Bill

DCP
05-10-2013, 05:48 PM
One win for the bad guys. A little sad I think

Ramar
05-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Did I see a tracking collier on 1 of those wolves?
Ramar

DCP
05-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Did I see a tracking collier on 1 of those wolves?
Ramar

I thought I did, wasn't sure though

firefly1957
05-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Definitely a tracking collar on one wolf , I forget where but i read a story of wolves removing those collars from other wolves or killing them if they couldn't. seems it was about 2 years ago.

white eagle
05-10-2013, 08:51 PM
always want to help out when I see this type of thing
I know ,I know

bgoff_ak
05-10-2013, 08:55 PM
DNP is again whining because this spring the wolves are down to 40 some thing from 50 some thing last year... its no different then the rabbit explosions. if left to its own nature will balance it out. Every year they complain about the bears and wolfs eating caribou and moose... they really just want to pump the number of tags that out of staters can get. every one is always complaining about section 13 and surrounding areas, but no one seems to care about 26, 7 and the likes... i'm with the wolf moose veal should be good eating !

MtGun44
05-10-2013, 08:56 PM
If I had been there, there would have been lead flying.

Bill

bgoff_ak
05-10-2013, 09:14 PM
at the moose or wolf ?

10-x
05-10-2013, 09:58 PM
2 .45 solution would work, damn a wolf. Way to many of them IMHO.

10x
05-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Ah, the overpopulation of wolves.
My plan is to live trap excess wolves and turn them loose in the urban and downtown areas of large cities.
This would give the homeless folk incentive to find homes off the street. Pet owners would keep track of their pets and keep them indoors.
There would no longer need to be curfews to keep teens and others from loitering on street corners.
The rat problem would be reduced. Feral cats and feral dogs would disappear.
the benefits would be wonderful...

wallenba
05-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Natural event. Wolves gotta eat too. I see no good or evil here. It is sad a young calf is taken instead of an old cow but, wolves will take what is least dangerous to themselves. If they get hurt the whole pack suffers.

Duckiller
05-11-2013, 01:02 AM
While not a friend of wolves don't forget the wolves and moose of Isle Royale. Wolves followed/chased moose on to Isle Poyale in the late 1880's when large parts of Lake Superior froze. They have coexisted there ever since. Some times there are lots and lots of moose and the mama wolves have lots of babies. When there are very few moose then the wolves starve. There has been a long term study of both populations and how they effect each other. Not sure what has been published. I believe Rolf Peterson of Michigan Tech is currently the study leader. In recent times the wolves were almost wiped out when a visiting dog with distemper passed distemper to the wolf population. Wolves can be controlled, but not when the people whose livelyhood is studying them are setting hunting limits and seasons. An unrecognized conflict of interest for wolves, condors , and most threatened and endangered species.

Duckiller
05-11-2013, 01:05 AM
10x I am sure you would start your release program in Calgary, Toronto and Montreal.

MtGun44
05-11-2013, 03:11 AM
Never said good or evil, these are not legit terms here.

I just know which side I'd come down on.

When dogs are part of a human pack they are good. When the go feral
or stay feral, not so much. I've been very nearby when a feral dog
pack went after a friend. I got a pretty good attitude adjustment
that day. Fortunately she was well armed with both a powerful
handgun and a lot of personal skill. Lacking either component, she
would have been dead.

Bill

10-x
05-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Ah, the overpopulation of wolves.
My plan is to live trap excess wolves and turn them loose in the urban and downtown areas of large cities.
This would give the homeless folk incentive to find homes off the street. Pet owners would keep track of their pets and keep them indoors.
There would no longer need to be curfews to keep teens and others from loitering on street corners.
The rat problem would be reduced. Feral cats and feral dogs would disappear.
the benefits would be wonderful...

Like it. Could make it a part of obongo care...:smile:

bgoff_ak
05-11-2013, 02:47 PM
10x I am sure you would start your release program in Calgary, Toronto and Montreal.
I would say start in anchorage ( my town ) but we already have some wolfs on the edge of town that pick off little dogs on walks every now and then.... I will say they are staying clear of the politicians etc I assume they are to close in the family tree...

41 mag fan
05-11-2013, 03:39 PM
I would say start in anchorage ( my town ) but we already have some wolfs on the edge of town that pick off little dogs on walks every now and then.... I will say they are staying clear of the politicians etc I assume they are to close in the family tree...

Weasels are part of the canine family tree?? :bigsmyl2:

10x
05-11-2013, 07:25 PM

We keep Alberta rat free by electing them and sending them to Ottawa...
Indeed I have been pushing for a problem wildlife relocation system with that goal in mind for years.
I strongly suspect it would work best with excess grizzlies and excess black bears.....

wallenba
05-12-2013, 01:17 AM

We have them here in Detroit. They've learned to walk upright, and talk...sort of.

10x
05-12-2013, 07:41 AM
We have them here in Detroit. They've learned to walk upright, and talk...sort of.

A predator is a predator is a predator, even if it is dressed up as a sheep, or a slick politician.

GaryN
05-12-2013, 04:29 PM
a visiting dog with distemper passed distemper to the wolf population.

What a great idea!!

ammohead
05-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Here in Nevada wolves are to be considered an invasive species and shot on sight. I hear tell that some have been seen near the Idaho border by Jarbidge wilderness. We'll never know how many have been shot. 3S rule.

Duckiller
05-15-2013, 04:50 AM
My brother just informed me that Michigan wolves are now under control of the DNR. Soon to have seasons and limits.