PDA

View Full Version : .50 cal muzzle loader boolits

Jim..47
05-09-2013, 07:50 PM
I've been looking around at boolits for my muzzy. Its an in-line Thompson Pro Hunter FX
So whats the best boolit for a 28 twist? I was wondering what you think of this one
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1201/1/LEE-90472

edit, I also would like to know if I need it sized to load. Sabot bullets really load dificult in my Thompson

bgoff_ak
05-09-2013, 09:10 PM
I used .44 in my encore BP, more for the fact that I had a mold for it... But the sabots outers seem to work out ok. I bought a few bags of the plastic outer years ago and have just never run out. I'd like to know what every one else is doing...

Larry Gibson
05-09-2013, 10:48 PM
That is a minie' HB'd bullet and will take only so much powder before the skirt blows and accuracy is non existent. I use the 370 gr Maxi Ball in my TC Blk Mtn Magnum and can push it to 1570 fps with excellent accuracy and deadly down range terminal ballistics. Here's 6 shots at 100 yards w/0 cleaning between shots using Tripple 7 FFG.

Larry Gibson

Jim..47
05-09-2013, 10:55 PM
That looks real good Larry, but I will be shooting a lot faster then 1500 fps, maybe beyond 2200 fps. I guess I need to stick to my bullets I've been using.

Larry Gibson
05-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Using the sabots for sure, eh? That's ok where legal, isn't where I hunt with mine. However, I've also used both .44 and .45 cast bullets in sabots in my TC. I did size them so they, along with the sabot, were a tight but still slip fit in the barrel for easy seating with a starter and the ramrod.

Larry Gibson

Jim..47
05-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Using the sabots for sure, eh? That's ok where legal, isn't where I hunt with mine. However, I've also used both .44 and .45 cast bullets in sabots in my TC. I did size them so they, along with the sabot, were a tight but still slip fit in the barrel for easy seating with a starter and the ramrod.

Larry Gibson

I think about everything is legal in Mich., at least what I've used, which is just plain muzzy bullets. The only ones I've shot without a sabot are the Hornaday 350 FPB. I took a nice 7 point with one last fall. One shot and down like a load of lead.

I've tried my own cast bullets inside a sabot just for practice shooting. They would be good hunting bullets but where I hunt I need max range and my cast bullets don't get it.

bgoff_ak
05-11-2013, 03:49 AM
Using the sabots for sure, eh? That's ok where legal, isn't where I hunt with mine. However, I've also used both .44 and .45 cast bullets in sabots in my TC
I did not know it would ever be illegal to use the plastic bullet holders ie sabots. I'll have to look into it...

Rattus58
05-11-2013, 09:12 AM
I've been looking around at boolits for my muzzy. Its an in-line Thompson Pro Hunter FX
So whats the best boolit for a 28 twist? I was wondering what you think of this one
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1201/1/LEE-90472

edit, I also would like to know if I need it sized to load. Sabot bullets really load dificult in my ThompsonThe ones I got from LEE were exactly .500 and too loose in my .504s but work wonders in my Austin Halleck....70083

Jim..47
05-11-2013, 10:42 AM
The ones I got from LEE were exactly .500 and too loose in my .504s but work wonders in my Austin Halleck....70083

Ahh, thanks for the heads up.

Larry Gibson
05-11-2013, 12:35 PM
I did not know it would ever be illegal to use the plastic bullet holders ie sabots. I'll have to look into it...

Oregon requires lead ball/bullet with no sabot (patch is ok) and loose powder only; no pellets. Also "open ignition" and no scopes or flourecent colored type sights...........

Having enforced Oregon's game laws/regulations and hunted under them most of my life I am of the opinion Oregon's hunting regulations are more intended to ensure OSP's game officers can meet the number of "rocks in the box" required by their regions "stud book" to get their next "merit pay" increase and/or not have to go back to "patrol".

Larry Gibson

Rattus58
05-11-2013, 03:07 PM
That is a minie' HB'd bullet and will take only so much powder before the skirt blows and accuracy is non existent. I use the 370 gr Maxi Ball in my TC Blk Mtn Magnum and can push it to 1570 fps with excellent accuracy and deadly down range terminal ballistics. Here's 6 shots at 100 yards w/0 cleaning between shots using Tripple 7 FFG.

Larry GibsonLee turned down the pin in mine on about half a dozen before someone suggested that would cost me a $100 :grin: However... spinning the pin with a drill and a file would probably do the same thing... it'll withstand anything you can with a thick skirt.. :grin:

05-11-2013, 03:36 PM
I've had very good accuracy and good terminal effects with the T/C Shock Wave (sabot - jacketed combo) but really go to the T/C Maxi-ball for hunting anymore. Just can not beat the cast boolit for performance on game. Anything inside 150 yards with my open sights is in real danger.

Jim..47
05-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Just thinking about my muzzleloaders bullets. I tried 300 Gr 45/70 bullets sized and put in a sabot last year. I don't remember what accuracy I got, but I'm going to do a little more experimenting with them this summer. Also, a 45acp bullet and others.

What accuracy have you guys gotten using your own cast bullets inside of sabots?

Jim..47
05-19-2013, 02:34 PM
What do you guys think about using a 45 cal boolit inside a sabot. this one
http://leeprecision.com/mold-d-c-456-220-1r.html

or this one, also with a sabot

http://leeprecision.com/mold-d-c-45cal-250.html

I'm looking for maxium velocity as the only place I have to hunt is a field 320 yds and wider, but down to 180-200 yds in a couple spots. But I may have to hunt the wider areas sometimes. I was fortunate enough to get a nice 7 pointer last year that was following 2 does and headed straight for, and I took the shot at 45 yds. This was an ideal situation but I probably won't live long enough for this to happen again..

Jim..47
05-19-2013, 02:37 PM

Larry Gibson

Larry, what 45 boolit were you using, and what size did you trim it down too, also, what sabot?
I'm thinking this is what I will be doing for my .50 cal Thompson