PDA

View Full Version : AR Factory Rifle or Build Your Own?

JesterGrin_1
05-09-2013, 01:54 PM
I have never built one but thought I would ask.

I was thinking that when things settle down I might build or purchase an AR before the next Craziness hits.

So I thought who better to ask than the Other Nuts on this Great Forum. :)

bmiller
05-09-2013, 02:07 PM
I have done it both ways. Sometimes you can find a deal on a complete factory rifle that you can't purchase the parts for. But it is fun putting one together. A lot depends on what your uses or goals are.

nvald1982
05-09-2013, 08:23 PM
I think a ar-15 build is the way to go. you can put the things you like on it but the draw back is tool to assemble. friends built there cheaper than what the store was selling for during the chaos

Epd230
05-09-2013, 10:20 PM
I bought my first complete and assembled my second. Enjoyed learning the rifle during the project. Be careful, if you are trying to save money, might not be the best route. My second rifle cost more than my first, with similar features-nothing fancy.

My experience dates back to pre/post ban era. Good luck!

wv109323
05-09-2013, 11:21 PM
You may consider J&T Distributing. Their "kit" comes with the upper assembled and headspaced. They offer about any style and any option. Basically you assemble the lower and you are done. J&T is the parts side of Double Star.
Buying from them eliminates about all the special tools needed to torque the barrel and headspace.

repawn
05-09-2013, 11:32 PM
I built mine - it is fun - but a factory rifle will probably cost less and usually has a warranty.

bgoff_ak
05-09-2013, 11:48 PM
I would venture to guess there are few of the completely non assembled / non spaced build kits out there. I have bought lowers and added an LKP and pinned in mostly complete uppers. I have also done some 0% and 80% lowers but never the uppers. If you wanted to actually build from scratch the parts could add up plus some of the tooling can get expensive. Go / no go gauges, reamers and barrel jigs start adding up for a one off project. Please note there is a lot of shade tree / beer can engineering that can be done to accomplish almost anything you wish to do. I will say I have a deep seated pride in all of the AR’s that I have built vs buying as complete rifles. If you like projects I’d recommend an AR build as there is so much information available to you from many who have been there.

Oreo
05-10-2013, 12:15 AM
I've built a few of my own uppers and lowers from totally stripped receivers and parts.

You need to be comfortable and handy with basic tools. You need a basic vice, a standard torque wrench, a set of punches for the roll pins, screw drivers, allen wrenches, a barrel nut wrench-combo tool for installing the barrel and the castle nut for the receiver extension tube. You'll also need an action block which is a plastic block that holds and protects the upper receiver in the vice during barrel install. (Don't use the plastic blocks that fit in the mag-well for that!)

If you buy quality parts from reputable dealers everything just bolts and pins together without any technical wizardry at all. There are some decent youtube videos that show the whole process and call attention to some of the particulars. Buying bargain-basement parts can make the job more like assembling a piece of IKEA furniture with missing hardward and mis-aligned holes, though.

Coonazz
05-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Definitely build your own! Each and every build is a one of a kind. I have built 8 just for myself. (3- 5.56, 2- Grendel, 1-9mm, 1- 7.62 and 1 Beowulf) There is a sense of pride and achievement with every one that I've completed; not only for myself, but for friends and family as well. Words can't describe the feelings when you take your first animal with a gun you built, ammo and bullets you made.
As others have mentioned there is a world of info out there on building your own.

L1A1Rocker
05-12-2013, 02:25 AM
After the gun control BS subsides there are going to be some GREAT deals on receivers and parts kits. That will be the time to purchase and build your own.

Oreo
05-12-2013, 06:03 AM
That could be a while. The alternative is to buy all super-premium parts because they're so expensive during normal times they don't experience the same price hikes and unavailability during threats of gun-control.

For instance, a BCM brand bolt/carrier group goes for $140 regularly but since November has been marked up to $200+ if you can even find one for sale. A JP brand, or Young National Match bolt/carrier group normally goes for $200-$230 and will be more frequently available at the same price now. Instead of buying a run of the mill receivers, now's the time to shop for one of those fancy monolithic uppers and matching billet lowers.

Whatever you do, don't spend a fortune on cheap **** just because its the first thing you find available. That's really getting ripped off. I'm talking DPMS, Del-Ton, RockRiver, most unbranded small parts. Fine at normal prices but not worth the current mark-up. Stick with Daniel Defense, Larue, BCM, Geisselle, etc.

The cheap-quality way out is to hunt down a new Colt 6920. Its a very basic AR but its 100% quality, already assembled, and will be a solid purchase at any price. Building your own in this market is going to take money and patience.

boltaction308
05-12-2013, 08:50 AM
I built my first AR in 1983, and have built many since then. I also purchased a colt factory HBAR years ago. I have a problem with many of the current factory uppers. They are built such that the you cannot alter the uppers. This is in part because of the NJ laws that say the flash hider has to be welded on. As soon as you weld the flash hider on, it makes it very difficult to change the barrel and/or fore-end configuration. I much prefer no flash hider over weleded ones.

However, one of my local gun shops just got in 100 ARs so they are becoming available.

A good comprimise is to buy a complete rifle, then build a second upper to your liking. You will learn alot in the process.

Epd230
05-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Good idea right now, would be to find a receiver made locally. Watch the current laws in Kansas in reference to interstate commerce. Probably will not stand the federal scrutiny, but if it does, then you are one step ahead.

bgoff_ak
05-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Whatever you do, don't spend a fortune on cheap **** just because its the first thing you find available. That's really getting ripped off. I'm talking DPMS, Del-Ton, RockRiver, most unbranded small parts. Fine at normal prices but not worth the current mark-up. Stick with Daniel Defense, Larue, BCM, Geisselle, etc.

Actually I would say the opposite, get a DPMS/ Superior ( what ever brand you would like lower ) an LPK and a complete upper. Then get a set of files/stones and practice, learn and don’t worry about F-n something up. If we’re going to talk alloys etc that is different but all of the receivers are either forge or billet. AR’s are not in most cases sub MOA firearms. There are a lot of things you can learn by doing your own trigger / fitting work. There are some better of the shelf brands then others but in that mix there are some shooters and some non shooters. Just my .2 but I have some 0% that I take a lot of pride in ( I also have some 0% well 50% paper weights ) as almost all of the parts are interchangeable and to a certain mil spec. its only because of the logo on the side this ever comes up.

jameslovesjammie
05-12-2013, 07:31 PM
I would definitely lean towards building my own. I built my own this past year (Luckily was finished before Sandy Hook). I watched a few videos on Youtube and couldn't believe how easy it was, so I thought I'd try it myself. The only thing I needed help with was torqueing the barrel, so I got help from a relative with tons of experience. It's the way to go!

My AR ended up getting expensive, but I picked and chose the parts I wanted. In the end, the rifle was EXACTLY what I wanted, and I didn't have a bunch of "take off" parts sitting around. If I would have bought a rifle, I would have ended up modifying most of it anyway, so I think I actually came out better in the long run. YMMV.

seagiant
05-12-2013, 07:53 PM
I would definitely lean towards building my own. I built my own this past year (Luckily was finished before Sandy Hook). I watched a few videos on Youtube and couldn't believe how easy it was, so I thought I'd try it myself. The only thing I needed help with was torqueing the barrel, so I got help from a relative with tons of experience. It's the way to go!

My AR ended up getting expensive, but I picked and chose the parts I wanted. In the end, the rifle was EXACTLY what I wanted, and I didn't have a bunch of "take off" parts sitting around. If I would have bought a rifle, I would have ended up modifying most of it anyway, so I think I actually came out better in the long run. YMMV.

Hi,
This was my experience also. I was lucky enough to build mine right before the Sandy Hook Incident but still had some pain finding what I wanted because of Bozo getting back in the White House! I found a Spike's upper and lower and then got a DD CHF chromed barrel and bolt assembly and I was off. Very little specialty tools needed and it was a blast to put it all together! I also got just what I wanted and even found a used Aimpoint M2 red dot to go with it!

Atonic
05-12-2013, 08:08 PM
All else being equal, a factory assembled rifle carries an 11% federal excise tax. Buy a lower and an upper and you don't pay that.

Bzcraig
05-12-2013, 08:22 PM
My first one I purchased an assembled upper, stripped lower and parts kit. I have no Smithing experience and it was not difficult at all, remember AR's are military weapons and simplicity is one of the criteria. I have an 80% lower on its way that will become a 300BLK. I am considering doing this one completely.

badboyparamedic
05-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Bought a complete one, built a couple. I prefer the ones I built because I know every sqaure inch of them and there is also some pride in shooting something you built, kind of like the first time you shot a round that you cast and loaded.

bgoff_ak
05-12-2013, 09:24 PM
All else being equal, a factory assembled rifle carries an 11% federal excise tax. Buy a lower and an upper and you don't pay that.

just another thing in the "I did not know that pile" I guess it makes sense...

tomme boy
05-13-2013, 01:14 AM
You are paying it. You just don't see it. It is hidden in the price. Oh, there is nothing wrong with Rock River Arms.

Most people, even the ones that have posted here will never see or notice the difference between a factory RRA, DPMS,....... Most people that have a AR15 have JUST started into them in the last few years. As long as it goes BANG!!!!!!!!!!! That is what most people want. If you are a accuracy nut. Have one built or build it yourself.

There are 3 things to make a AR accurate.

1) Barrel
2) Trigger
3) Optics

Don't skimp on these. To make it the most reliable gun you own, use new Military mags. Back in the 90's, all that was available were old junk worn out Mil. mags. They gave the AR a bad name that was already there even more reason to say they were junk. Sense the ban expired in 04, mags have become available again. I have not had one malfunction since I started using new mags.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/tommeboy/IMG_09902.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tommeboy/media/IMG_09902.jpg.html)

Way too much $ in this one. $2.4K pre 2nd term Obama. This one shoots into the .1's-.2's Completely put together by me. I have replaced the stock with a A2 fixed as it is more comfortable to shoot, and to get proper head position.

Epd230
05-13-2013, 09:58 AM
The knowledge gained in the build is priceless.

JesterGrin_1
05-13-2013, 10:29 AM
I would probably be sure that if I decided to build and needed tools some of the good people of this forum would be happy to lend them to me to do so since building one would not be something I would continue to do lol.

What I was thinking of building or buying is a flat top receiver with no front site to get in the way of a scope with a simple skeleton solid butt stock with a 16" barrel.

tomme boy
05-13-2013, 10:38 AM
I still have my wrench. My rec. blocks decided to go for a walk and never came back. Get a good Vise also. I think mine is a 8" one. You also need a moly grease. AR15.COM has a good build it section on doing this.

country gent
05-13-2013, 10:47 AM
I built my own for years from garands to M1As to ARs. Being a High Power rifle competitor I couldnt actually buy what was competitive at my level ( Master to High Master). The ARs are very easy and if you send your bolt and barrel extension to the barrel maker they can headspace it while they are timing cutting contour and chambering.All my ARs are fast twist Krieger barrels (1-7) for the 80 grn bullets we needed for 600 yds. One thing the ARs are great for is you build one and it runs forever, well till the barrel goes. No bedding issues like the Garand or M1A/M14. My service rifle is at 4000 rds and shooting great. My match rifle (Flat top 26" barrel) is at 2000 rds and a real tack driver. Build what you want and dont scrimp, your going to have it awhile. Barrel life in high power with the 223 is appearing to be around 7000 rds. So once its done and tuned your going to have it awhile. A few punches a barrel vise and spaner wrench are about the only tools needed. Most service rifles were made to be very simple and easy to use, saved on training time. A good AR is really a fun rifle to use and will perform with the best. My service rifles have the support tubes under the handgaurd, keeps sling tension off of the barrel and the attendant zero changes. Going this route usually requires a diffrent spanner wrench though. My only complaint with these rifles is you loose alot of brass due to extraction ejection.

popper
05-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Unless you have 3 thumbs, building is easy. You will learn as much by just cleaning it. Choosing the right parts and trying to find them is not so easy. Is a recessed crown with no flash hider legal in NJ?

Oreo
05-13-2013, 08:36 PM
The tools aren't expensive. Just buy them unless you've got a local buddy with them or something. You think you won't need them again but you will. Once you have a functional lower its too tempting to build more uppers. Not to mention changing your mind on hand guards and butstocks etc. Its handy to just have the wrench and action block handy. Throw the thing in the vice and get it done.

plinky56
05-14-2013, 12:38 PM
I'd just wait it out until all the nobama **** has subsided. Then build your own. Not too expensive if you can pick up kits/parts at a local gun show or dealer. You'll be able to compile most of what you want in a month or two, then build. Easy build too, with just a couple special tools needed-or borrow from a friend. The knowledge you will gain together with the familiarity you will have with 'your' weapon is invaluable!

JesterGrin_1
05-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Who makes a good lower? And should the upper and lower be by the same manufacturer? I would like to start and end with good parts.

And I know it is hard to believe but No I do not plan on building more lol. I would be happy with only 1 Rifle of this design.

tomme boy
05-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Do not ever buy anything from Superior Arms! They are local to me and I have seen the **** they put out.

I like Rock River Arms lower rec.'s They have always been tight. Their upper rec. does not have the M4 cuts. So take that into account. If you can find a Matching set from Daniel Defense. Go that route.

Oreo
05-14-2013, 10:10 PM
One big difference between brands of receivers is the finish. Type 3 anodizing is the best and most resistant to scratches. Most major brands use this. Aero Precision brand, and related brands have some of the best machining I've seen but only use type 2 anodizing which is noticeably softer.

Beyond that, there isn't much difference between brands of receivers. Upper and lower receivers don't have to be the same brand but the tone of the black finish may not match, if that matters to you.

badboyparamedic
05-14-2013, 10:18 PM
I have used quite a few components from Palmetto State Armory, pleased with them.

JesterGrin_1
05-15-2013, 12:59 AM
I was going to ask about Palmetto State Armory as through my searches I see them mentioned a bunch?

nhrifle
05-15-2013, 01:51 AM
I have bought a couple factory rifles and built 3 so far. They are fun and quite easy to assemble, kind of an Erector Set for us grown kids. My first build took most of an afternoon because I was taking my time and being careful, but my last one I put together from a kit while sitting on my butt on the couch watching TV. The kit arrived with absolutely nothing assembled (I had to install the gas key and the little itty bitty c-clip on the ejection port cover rod). That last build took me about an hour and I had a functioning rifle.

The correct tools will certainly make the job go easier, but they aren't expensive and you don't need many. The only special tools I used were an upper receiver vise block and a barrel nut wrench. If those aren't available, it could be built with no more than a hammer, a couple of screw drivers, and a pair of channel lock pliers. I do not advise going that route for assembly tooling, but it could be done with nothing more than that.

I would say, pick the components you want and put it together.