PDA

View Full Version : Federals Warehouse Stock

smokemjoe
05-09-2013, 12:11 PM
A friend of mine here goes to his kids house in Minneopolis. He heard that Federals warehouse was stocked full ammo and holding it, He told this to a gun shop owner where the he buys all his stuff, There was a man next to him heard what he said, He spoke up and said he works in the warehouse there in Anoka and thats not true, When a pallet of ammo is placed to ship its divided up into a pie, whom ever sells the most gets the biggest piece and down the line until all the disturbors gets a order, The same amount is made everday and shipped. Hope this helps. Thanks for reading, Joe

41 mag fan
05-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Crazy how it's still hard to come by after months now. You'd think there'd be a slow up or catch up in sight.

TenTea
05-09-2013, 04:34 PM
I like pie! [smilie=s:

Iowa Fox
05-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Joe, How are you feeling these days? Hope things are doing well for you.

Ohio Rusty
05-09-2013, 05:54 PM
All the ammo and component companies have learned from the greedy exploits of the oil companies. They hang onto the ammo and not let it out. Suddenly it dries up everywhere and everyone says there is an ammo shortage. The prices jump up 5000 percent and the companies dole out a little at a time making massive profits on once was a much cheaper product. I find it also hard to believe like everyone else that after all this time ...thee still isn't any ammo or components available. I don't believe the Military and Homeland Security are responsible for the shortage of every caliber of boolit, every type of reloading powder and every box of primers. I call BS on this one !!
Ohio Rusty ><>

Love Life
05-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Hundreds of thousands (if not millions) buying ammo, components, etc. The demand is still out pacing the supply.

shooter93
05-09-2013, 06:29 PM
You won't convince me the factories are manufacturing the shortage, the demand is just crazy. And as I've said before I've had NO troubles restocking anything I needed at NON-gouging pricess. A number of places still take back orders and all mine have been filled within or very close to their shipping times including all sizes of primers.

Love Life
05-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Look at the bright side:

A) A bunch of people finally woke up, bought guns, and are now gun owners with a stake in the game
B) More people are FINALLY stocking up as they should have before this started
C) A possible market glut may be in the future once tax returns are all spent and credit cards are all maxed out. I'm thinking Septemberish...
D) You have a great stockpile of real money for when the stock market crashes...

phaessler
05-09-2013, 06:42 PM
I havent needed much, but as everyone else .22lr ammo shortages have been a pain. Now what I would like to see is some of the gun magazines and their contributors do an article on just whats happening in the industry, rather than rehash articles and topics so much that a once 100page magazine is now 40 pages. Tell exactly how inventory works, who controls the raw materials? let th manufacturers dispell the rumors themselves.

Pete

Ohio Rusty
05-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Shooter 93 wrote:
You won't convince me the factories are manufacturing the shortage

Then there must be a shortage of copper also as that is why everyone is stealing it ......

The manufacturers stand to make millions if not billions in profit ..... Why would they not do that ? That is just smart business saavy in their part. Money talks and money runs everything in the world .... College and Pro Football, Gas and Oil suppliers, and Ammunition .....
My Local gun shop says people have been calling from as far away as Tennessee just to see if they have any ammo or primers. There is nothing in the State of Ohio to be had .... no ammo .... no primers ... no nothing. Call Vances Gun Store ...the biggest gun dealer in Central Oho to see if they have anything in stock. What little bits that show up go at gougers prices. Not interested in those for sure.
Ohio Rusty ><>

shooter93
05-09-2013, 07:11 PM
This may come as a suprise to you Rusty but a great many businesses both large and small are NOT PROFIT mongers. They make a good living, treat their people well and do so without gouging. There has been theft of things since man has been on the Planet. One reason for the copper shortage is building and remodling is way down, trust me on that, and a huge portion of copper used is re-cycled. But I don't think it's a materials shortage though just simply demand. It's staggering. 22lr ammo?....know anyone now who is looking for just a couple boxes?....everyone wants several bricks minimum. They will then sit on those and look for more to shoot. Like I said...I have had no trouble getting anything. I'm usually buying for a couple of guys at the same time and just today I unpacked several flats of various shotshells, 24 lbs. of various powders and a bunch of jacketed bullets. Took about 4 weeks for it to arrive....just as they told us it would and none was over priced. Stop and think about it a minute...know anything you can't buy right now? Precious little for sure but you MAY have to pay dearly for it. Doesn't seem to be any shortages on Gunbroker etc. Tons of stuff there just not at prices most people care for. That's not a shortage.

perotter
05-09-2013, 07:12 PM
No copper shortage, as the amount sitting in warehouses are at 5 year highs. Three times more than there was a year ago.

perotter
05-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Hundreds of thousands (if not millions) buying ammo, components, etc. The demand is still out pacing the supply.

Plus now that there is a limit as to how much you can buy at one time, by many retailers, those that would have bought a box or two are now buying what the limit is. I'm not saying that they should or shouldn't have limits.

rush1886
05-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Another thread a bit back mentioned something about the gougers getting edgy. Today, I picked up a copy of the local classifieds weekly rag. Hadn't really seen much for sale till today. A feller had a laundry list in there, including all the popular stuff: 223, 308, 9mm, 40sw, 38spec, and others. What caught my eye was a listing for "full case, 4000 rds, 22lr $1000.00". Works out to $125.00/brick of 500.
Doesn't seem like "they" are getting too edgy yet. Ballsy maybe, edgy, not quite.

Boyscout
05-09-2013, 07:28 PM
The government would not have to buy all calibers and cartridges; they would just have to place large enough orders to tie up the production. I doubt most plants have equipment dedicated to the production of just one. Big enough orders for 5.56 Nato, 40 S&W and 9mm would be enough to mess up production of everything else for awhile.

Personally, I buy whenever I can but I self-limit myself for the sake of others. Went into a store Sunday and picked up a can of Accur 5744. They had a little H4350 and IMR4350, Blue Dot and Green Dot, some Universal Clays and VV160. Seems everyone has AR's in stock now.

phaessler
05-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Seems everyone has AR's in stock now.

You can see why, when there is nothing to feed them.....

Castaholic
05-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Look at the bright side:

A) A bunch of people finally woke up, bought guns, and are now gun owners with a stake in the game

This last month I took my sister in law shooting for the first time. She wasn't anti gun but had no desire to shoot or own a gun. She now plans on buying her first gun in the near future. My OTHER sister in law (same family) emailed me last night about what she needs to do to go about buying a gun. If nothing else this shortage/AWB proposal has opened the eyes of a lot of people.

HATCH
05-09-2013, 07:44 PM
The factory price to distributors hasn't changed since the craziness started.
This is why you can purchase powder and primers at normal prices when the major retailers have them. Sportsman warehouse for example is still selling components at pre-craziness prices when they have them.

What has happened is all the smaller vendors marked up the price because their shelves where being emptied.
People go into the major retailers and buy up the components at normal prices just to resale them at higher prices.
Years ago when the first ammo shortage happened, a local gun store would go into walmart and buy all the ammo as soon as it got off thwarting truck. they then marked it up and resold it in their store. i know this because i seen the guy buying it and also cause i bought a box at the gun store that had a walmart price sticker on it.

Just hang in there. Ammo will gt stocked first then components second. Components are second cause now people are reloading more now.

smokeywolf
05-09-2013, 07:48 PM
In maintenance engineering, when a machine comes down with a problem or issue it is almost always caused by not one factor but, 2 or more. IMHO this shortage is being caused by at least 3 if not more factors. Powder and primer manufacturers are redirecting manufacturing resources toward fulfilling gov't orders or ammunition manufacturer's gov't orders. Hoarders are buying double and triple what they need so they can flip their excess. And, we have many many new gun owners, shooters and reloaders.
I was just cruising Midway's site and noticed that moulds, mould handles, and various other reloading needs are nearly all "out of stock".
Also, like many, I hold no fondness for people who overbuy during a shortage. I think we all need to recognize and acknowledge that right now, the biggest hoarder is most certainly the Federal Government. They are buying up powder, primer and brass supplies that would normally be going to retailer's shelves and doing it with our money.

smokeywolf

dkf
05-09-2013, 10:24 PM
All the ammo and component companies have learned from the greedy exploits of the oil companies. They hang onto the ammo and not let it out. Suddenly it dries up everywhere and everyone says there is an ammo shortage. The prices jump up 5000 percent and the companies dole out a little at a time making massive profits on once was a much cheaper product. I find it also hard to believe like everyone else that after all this time ...thee still isn't any ammo or components available. I don't believe the Military and Homeland Security are responsible for the shortage of every caliber of boolit, every type of reloading powder and every box of primers. I call BS on this one !!
Ohio Rusty ><>

Then why are companies like AIM, Midway, Walmart and etc still selling ammo at "normal" prices?

The retailers whom jack up the prices are the ones making the big profit. Not the ammo companies.

And there is still ammo and components available if you look and keep looking. They just get bought up incredibly fast.

starmac
05-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Oil companies have us over a barrel, and epa has them over a barrel++++++++++ oil is sold on the world market. WE are the market for ammo and components.
Ammo companies can't mark anything up 5000 percent because nobody has to have ammo period. They are playing it smart, making what they can and selling it for the same as before obama price, because they know that everyone is hoarding and after this is over they will have to entice new buyers to sell much of anything.

ga41
05-09-2013, 10:58 PM
I saw a brick of Federal target 22 yesterday at a LGS for over 300.00........am i missing something ?

Frank46
05-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Was at wal mart this week. As usual they had just about nothing. however the local academy one city over had plenty of ammo except 38spl,357,40 and 45. Even had 35 rem which I haven't seen them carry for sometime. Frank

tiwimon
05-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Well I just looked at luckygunner.com and Natchezss and both had quite a bit of ammo available, 9, 38, 40, 45 and 223. I checked them earlier in the day as well and most that were available are still available, so either folks are backing off from purchases for one reason or another or they are too busy standing in the wait lines at wally world for the next delivery, granted lucky gunner prices are pretty high but prior times they would be out in a flash high prices or not

starmac
05-09-2013, 11:13 PM
I saw a brick of Federal target 22 yesterday at a LGS for over 300.00........am i missing something ?

What was the name of this lgs, was it a major chain or a local store?

MtGun44
05-10-2013, 12:50 AM
"Greedy exploits of the oil companies. "

LOL! Yep those darned old evil oil companies are really bad for
dropping the price of natural gas to 1/4th of what it was a few
years back. They sure are mean guys for increasing the amount
of oil we are able to recover in the US and creating many
thousands of new high paying jobs and injecting all that money
into the US industrial economy for equipment. And darn them
again for cutting out all the money that we used to be shipping
overseas to our good buddies in the middle east that love us
so much and keeping it here.

Sorry to intrude with a fact or two, but somehow it seemed
like a good idea.

Bill

Driver man
05-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Never let facts get in the way of a good argument

762 shooter
05-12-2013, 12:06 PM
I think we all need to recognize and acknowledge that right now, the biggest hoarder is most certainly the Federal Government. They are buying up powder, primer and brass supplies that would normally be going to retailer's shelves and doing it with our money.

smokeywolf

Are you saying that the US Government is reloading and casting, or that they are just buying these items to keep them from the citizens?

smokeywolf
05-12-2013, 12:35 PM
762 shooter, I should have been more clear. The powder and primers that the US Gov't is hoarding is in the form of the 1,600,000,000 rounds of factory loaded ammunition that they've contracted for. Most of which is going to DHS to defend the Federal Gov't from voters who might get the unpatriotic notion that they should control the U.S. Gov't.

smokeywolf

Epd230
05-12-2013, 01:11 PM
762 shooter, I should have been more clear. The powder and primers that the US Gov't is hoarding is in the form of the 1,600,000,000 rounds of factory loaded ammunition that they've contracted for. Most of which is going to DHS to defend the Federal Gov't from voters who might get the unpatriotic notion that they should control the U.S. Gov't.

smokeywolf

Well put!

Swamp Man
05-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Alright guys mellow out a bit take a few breaths of fresh air and go look at Midway rimfire ammo listings lots of Fed,CCI & Agu showing up.

onceabull
05-12-2013, 02:53 PM
MtGun44s' comment above falls short of reality because the greedy petro companies are actually deliberately depressing Nat.Gas prices in order to xxxx with the tree-huggers,greenies, AlGoreits,and obamaties dreams of alt. energy with your tax $.:kidding: Onceabull

waksupi
05-12-2013, 03:30 PM
http://www.guns.com/2013/05/10/light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-remington-expands-ammo-plant-foreign-ammo-imports-double/

ga41
05-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Alright guys mellow out a bit take a few breaths of fresh air and go look at Midway rimfire ammo listings lots of Fed,CCI & Agu showing up.

Just did a search, exactly ZERO 22RF LR in stock at midway according to their search

destrux
05-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Shooter 93 wrote:
You won't convince me the factories are manufacturing the shortage

Then there must be a shortage of copper also as that is why everyone is stealing it ......

The manufacturers stand to make millions if not billions in profit ..... Why would they not do that ? That is just smart business saavy in their part. Money talks and money runs everything in the world .... College and Pro Football, Gas and Oil suppliers, and Ammunition .....
My Local gun shop says people have been calling from as far away as Tennessee just to see if they have any ammo or primers. There is nothing in the State of Ohio to be had .... no ammo .... no primers ... no nothing. Call Vances Gun Store ...the biggest gun dealer in Central Oho to see if they have anything in stock. What little bits that show up go at gougers prices. Not interested in those for sure.
Ohio Rusty ><>

The largest gun shop in PA (Cabelas) gets stuff in daily and sells out by mid-morning. According to a few people I know in their receiving department they are getting in more stuff than they ever have before. It sells like crazy. I'd say that 75% of the ammo in this country is making it into consumer hands via Cabelas retail stores and Walmart. I hear the same story at Walmart. They get in the same they always did, but it's gone as soon as they put it out, or shortly after. Sometimes they get in a big shipment (2000rds of 9mm) and it keeps the shelf stocked for nearly a whole day (50rd boxes with a 3 box limit and a cashier that's never at the counter slows sales down).

The ammo companies don't stand to benefit from holding stock right now. If there are high taxes or restrictions added in the future it cuts their market down and slows their sales, which leads to them making less money (if taxes drive ammo prices up and slow sales they would have to lower ammo prices to stimulate sales). If laws became as restrictive here as they are in the UK and other places like that and the ammo companies were still sitting on warehouses full of ammo that isn't exactly where they want to be.

Ammo isn't like gas or food. Not everyone needs it, not everyone buys it, people CAN decide it's too expensive and get out of the hobby (I know people who have just done this because of this shortage). I also know there are die-hards that would never do that (they'd stop driving and starve before cutting back on ammo), but that's a small percentage of people. Not enough to create a constant shortage like this. Right now it's all the new people and all the "usuals" buying more than they need.

Eventually, like someone else said, people are going to hit a stopping point. Their credit cards will be maxxed, they will get tired of spending all their spare money on ammo, their spouse will threaten them to quit filling all the closet space with ammo, or they will simply decide they have enough (I have stopped buying in any appreciable amount for now, I might pick up a 100 pack of bullets or a pound of powder a month, but that's it).

I don't see a point in buying enough for the rest of my life like some people are doing... I can't afford it, I don't know if I will need it that far in the future (change in gun laws, change in gun technology), and I don't want to chance losing it or creating a major hazard in case of a house fire. So with enough to get me through till I can reasonably think I'd be able to resupply (not all at once but gradually)... that's enough. I just hope other people also have the common sense to stop when they hit a sensible point rather than hoard stuff they may never use (only for their family to throw it away when they die, or for their family to lose a great deal of money selling it at an estate sale for pennies on the dollar).

phaessler
05-13-2013, 09:06 PM
While talking today with some guys at the range , we all have the same conclusion/theory.
1) Scalpers are hard at work killing the inventories.
2) With each and every bit of firearms news in the media more and more people go out and buy.
3) Everytime this administration opens their mouth (besides placing their foot in it) , people dial up the panic meter, and buy.
NOTE : 2 & 3 are usually done at any cost.