PDA

View Full Version : Something happened to the stout I made.

44man
05-09-2013, 11:45 AM
I must have a huge leak in the keg-----oops, found it!
It is the faucet leaking into my mug. [smilie=w:
It smells and tastes exactly like Guinness. I keep getting 1/4 mug full and sipping on it. Not a beer to drink but to savor.
For all who make beer try to find this magazine. It is The Best of Brew and it has 250 classic clone recipes, about every beer made.
It was $10 but it paid for itself with my first batch.

ph4570
05-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Good on you for making a real taster. My mead jugs seem to have leaks as well!

Years ago I was on a quest to make a stout replicating Guinness. I had some batches that were darn close. We used to have tasting parties and most agreed that my brew was very much like Guinness in all regards. There was one fellow who said it was OK but not like Guinness. So, at the next tasting I decanted a real Guinness into a long neck bottle and capped it off. That fellow tasted it and said "Tastes good but nothing like a Guinness". All the others were in on the trick and chortled wildly at the fellows comment. I never told him the reality.

Bulldogger
05-09-2013, 01:10 PM
I made a Guiness clone copy but it didn't turn out as thick. Since I was using extract, and very little cracked grain, it was no surprise. It was, however, a great copy of Beamish, or thereabouts.
Enjoy!
Bulldogger

x101airborne
05-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Good on you for making a real taster. My mead jugs seem to have leaks as well!

Years ago I was on a quest to make a stout replicating Guinness. I had some batches that were darn close. We used to have tasting parties and most agreed that my brew was very much like Guinness in all regards. There was one fellow who said it was OK but not like Guinness. So, at the next tasting I decanted a real Guinness into a long neck bottle and capped it off. That fellow tasted it and said "Tastes good but nothing like a Guinness". All the others were in on the trick and chortled wildly at the fellows comment. I never told him the reality.

AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! NO! NOT ANOTHER MEAD HANGOVER!!!!!! (I mean, um, allergy!!!!) QUICK!!! RUNNNN!!!!!!!
Oh, ok, the panick has passed. Whew!

starmac
05-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Them faucets are known for that, it is pert near impossible to find one that doesn't leak that way. lol

41 mag fan
05-09-2013, 04:26 PM
I wish I had a faucet that poured wheat beer for me.....preferably Oktoberfest or Michelob Wheat
Some day I'm going to take the step to make my own!!

gspgundog
05-09-2013, 04:40 PM
I am not a mead brewer but I thought my Jameson had a major problem with evaporation but now maybe I should check for a leak.

Whiterabbit
05-09-2013, 04:41 PM
It smells and tastes exactly like Guinness.

Yipes. My condolences. :(

arjacobson
05-09-2013, 04:56 PM
My stout turned out......ahhhh...STOUT!! I liked the batch but it wasn't a beer you were going to drink more than one or two in a sitting. I liked giving some to the guys who "knew how to drink beer" hehehehehe

Moonie
05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
I rarely drink anything alcoholic, I'm diabetic and it isn't good for me. I have to tell you, when you don't drink you don't have the leaking problem. I do brew my own beer, for others to enjoy and I make mead, again, mostly for others. The last stout I made was a Milk and Honey Stout, I also make cheese, so the whey from a batch went into the beer, as did some honey, as a mead maker I use honey in most of the beers I brew. The stout was very good, but some how I ended up at 14% instead of the 8% I was aiming for, no one complained and the stout was very good.

nvbirdman
05-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Before I quit drinking my favorite was Sam Adams Porter, so I was just wondering if your magazine had a clone for that? And no I won't be making any, because when I quit, I quit.

bgoff_ak
05-11-2013, 12:45 AM
another great read is CloneBrews: Homebrew Recipes for 150 Commercial Beers by Tess Szamatulski I can't say they are 100% but ive made a lot of them and they are close enough. i'll have to give the other one a go.

i knew there were some brewers mixed in with the casters.

44man
05-11-2013, 01:01 AM
No Sam Adams porter, seems to be more custom brews.
Now stout is not "heavy" beer, just dark with roast flavors. You need to go imperial to get more alcohol.
Some think it is thick but it is no different then cheap store bought as far as that.
I have a friend that does not like stout, he says it is "heavy" but I think he means flavor. He does not like a beer with a lot of hops either. He does not like Scotch.

TXGunNut
05-11-2013, 12:54 PM
AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! NO! NOT ANOTHER MEAD HANGOVER!!!!!! (I mean, um, allergy!!!!) QUICK!!! RUNNNN!!!!!!!
Oh, ok, the panick has passed. Whew!

I developed an allergy to beer back in 1988, anaphylactic shock is worse than any hangover I ever had. Sad thing, hear the local Miller plant had to lay off a shift.

x101airborne
05-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Boy, when I had that mead allergy, Gearnasher had to coach me and watch me close to make sure I did not die in the woods. It took a shot of cheap whiskey and a bottle of water every 45 minutes to drive it off and it took about 5 hours of that. A good long walk up hill both ways and a lot of sweat to get my blood sugars down and sweat a lot of it out. How miserable can one get? I can tell you.