PDA

View Full Version : Is a license needed to sell cast boolits?

boltaction308
05-09-2013, 11:00 AM
I dont really want to go into the boolit making business but my local gun club, where I have been a member for 27 years turned me down on BUYING the lead from the range when its cleaned out. They want to sell it to a "licensed" scrap dealer. Last year they pulled out 10,000 pounds. Thats 10,000 pounds of boolits that will now go into making batteries.

Any comments on what licenses are needed either to make boolits commercially or to be a scrap dealer?

Doc_Stihl
05-09-2013, 11:06 AM
A quick search here on cast will show a few discussions on the requirements for selling bullets.
Scrap dealer, no idea.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?195824-Liability-of-selling-cast-Bullets&highlight=ffl+07

dbosman
05-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Licensed scrap dealer isn't a FFL issue.
You need to check the NJ statutes on what is involved in recycling lead.
At my local .22 only range, the lead is picked up by a licensed recycler/scrap yard, that uses tyvec suits and respirators for the entire process.

TES
05-09-2013, 11:20 AM
If you intend to make and sell any component that will be used in ammunition you will need an FFL.

randyrat
05-09-2013, 07:52 PM
You may be surprised how much money talks, offer a little more than the scrap dealers. Also check back when they change board members. If they are elected or placed, the new ones may have a different outlook.

ASM826
05-10-2013, 11:47 AM
If you intend to make and sell any component that will be used in ammunition you will need an FFL.

If I sell wheel weights or beeswax, I need an FFL? That seems like a stretch even in these times.

zxcvbob
05-10-2013, 11:48 AM
No, those are just raw materials.

TES
05-10-2013, 11:59 AM
If you intend to sell primers, brass, powder or cast boolits that you make you need an FFL.

Love Life
05-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Yes, a FFL is needed to manufacture and sell cast boolits.

You can sell lead, beeswax, brass, moulds, mould release, etc to your heart's content.

375RUGER
05-10-2013, 12:13 PM
is the local scrap dealer a member there too?
Use of the term licensed may just be a way of saying a registered/bonafide business. If a license is actually required in your area it is probably a state/ local ordance, I don't think it is federal but IDK for sure.

TES
05-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Yes, a FFL is needed to manufacture and sell cast boolits.

You can sell lead, beeswax, brass, moulds, mould release, etc to your heart's content.

If you manufacture the brass say by making 300 blackout then you need an FFL to be able to sell it.

05-12-2013, 01:44 AM
you need a 06 class ffl when you cast and sell bollits you have not payed the fed. tax on boolits, new brass,ect. i think it is 11 % if you have a 06 you can buy componets much cheaper than reg wholsale but when you sell the loaded ammo you must pay the tax to the feds and with the cast bullits even though you made them you still have to pay the tax also if you buy jacketed bullits in bulk boxes , if you resale them most of the wholsalers will cut you off as soon as they find out what your doing you can't get much in boolits now any way. we ordered 500,000 bullits in dec. so far we have only gotten about 34,000 of them and we have been buying from these two wholesalers for 29 years ALSO YOU DON'T EVER WANT TO GET IN A PISSIN MATCH WITH THE FEDS OVER OVER NOT COLECTING OR PAYING THE TAXES THESE PEOPLE CAN ACCUSE YOU AND COM IN AND CONFC ATE EVERTHING YOU OWN BEFORE YOU EVER GO TO TRIAL

uscra112
05-12-2013, 04:42 PM
In a state like NJ it's almost certain that they are required by law to dispose of "hazardous material" to a licensed handler. Same as if they had PCB oil, or radioactives, for example. Sadly, that law is necessary because there's a lot of unscrupulous operators in the NY metro area that would dump their stuff along roadsides anywhere that they thought they wouldn't be seen. Ask me how I know. . . . .