PDA

View Full Version : New Revolver Got Me Into Casting Again

Tyler Anderson
05-09-2013, 01:16 AM
Hi,
About 10 years ago I started casting quite a bit, mostly for financial reasons. I also liked to do it quite a bit, so that was another bonus. For the last few years, I have been mostly shooting plated bullets or jacketed. I also mostly shoot a Glock, so I have avoided cast bullets. (I know you can work around this, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.)

Recently I just purchased a Freedom Arms 1983 in .475 Linebaugh. The first 50 rounds were jacketed bullets while I waited on my mold (lee 400 grain) but now I plan on shooting mostly cast bullets.

I loaded up 50 of the 400 gainers with some Unique, and I am hoping to get to the range this weekend to try them out. Enough talk, here is the proof of it's existence. I would have preferred a 6 inch barrel, but I was looking used to avoid the wait time, and this had everything I wanted except for the barrel length. After shooting it some, I am actually pretty happy with the length, and don't think I will change it. Its actually the first center fire single action revolver I have ever fired. It likely won't be the last!!

Not much of a picture, but here it is:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tylermtech/DSCF0217.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/tylermtech/media/DSCF0217.jpg.html)

Thanks for looking,
Tyler

rintinglen
05-09-2013, 02:32 AM
Nice gun! I won't show this to my Ruger SBH--it'll get jealous and refuse to shoot straight.

GP100man
05-09-2013, 06:56 AM
Nuttin wrong with that , looks like alot of fun ahead for ya !!!
Inspiring to get one of my big boomers out !!
Shore hope you`re finding all ya need to feed the beast , things are really nutts rite now :veryconfu !!!
& WELCOME to CASTBOOLITS.com !!! :cbpour:

GP

44man
05-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Be careful with the Lee 400 gr. You need to seat right at the top of the crimp groove or the boolit can stick out a few thou.
Get good tension because the smallest amount of pull will lock the gun up.
Other then that, it shoots good.
We found that gun loves a 350 gr boolit and I was able to reach 1/2" at 50 yards with open sights.
I don't know if you will be happy with Unique! That caliber was made to BLAST!
Feed your grass---FEED IT. [smilie=w:

Tyler Anderson
05-09-2013, 11:58 AM
44Man - Thanks for the tip. I was surprised how much longer the nose of the lee bullet was than the Speer Deep Curl 400 grain bullets I was using. I had to make up some dummy rounds and mess with the seating depth a little but they seem like they will work for now. I did also put a healthy crimp on them - hopefully it will hold!

I agree on the Unique, but I used it for a few reasons:
1 - I am still trying to work up to the recoil levels of the top loads. I try and shoot a few cylinders of them every time to toughen up!

2 - I am almost out of H110 and didn't have enough for 50 rounds and due to the panic, I was not able to get anymore.

3 - These bullets are tumble lubed, air cooled wheel weights, so I did not want to push them too hard.

dverna
05-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Tyler,

I have never understood the "fun" of a shooting a gun that hurts you. Keep the loads to a level that makes sense for you and do not feel obligated to shoot "full power" to prove anything.

I remember reading a well-known writer regretting all the shooting he did with full power 44 Mag loads when he was younger. His hands and wrists were making him pay the price as he aged. And unless you are a very accomplished shooter, (and even if you are), punishing recoil is a quick way to start flinching. There are a few people who seem to be able to do it - but not many. Many more "wannabes" than you think.

Good luck!

Tatume
05-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Hi Tyler,

I'm sure you're going to enjoy owning and shooting that Freedom Arms M83 revolver. I have one in 454 Casull, and an M97 in 41 Rem Mag, and love them both. BTW, I agree with DVERNA. Although I have a great load with a 320 gr LBT LFN GC bullet at 1400+ fps, I rarely shoot it anymore. Even for hunting, my favorite load is the same bullet at 1150 fps. Same for the M97, a 240 gr LBT WFN GC and a 240 gr Accurate Molds Keith bullet at 1150 fps are great fun to shoot.

Freedom Arms makes the best, most accurate revolvers on the market, and I'm proud of the two I own. I'm sure you'll be happy too.

Take care, Tom

Tyler Anderson
05-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words! I am going to try and shoot an antelope this year with it. My hunting partner gifted me a box of 350 grain hawk bullets so I think I will use them for the antelope. I just don't want to practice with them as they are a little expensive. I may also get an elk, and I will likely use the cast bullet for it.

I agree with the recoil thing. A few of the full house loads per shooting session seems like plenty....for now at least.

DLCTEX
05-10-2013, 02:46 AM
I shoot that boolit in a 480 Ruger Tarus Raging Bull and love it. I haven't tried any powder but H-110 as I don't mess with success.

44man
05-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Recoil is harsh and my friend had to get the factory rubber grips. He is not really cut out for recoil but still loves the big guns. After a shot he runs for his thick glove.
I have always felt how the guns are held will help prevent wrist damage. I have seen how the writer with damage holds his and it is just wrong, very high hold with the trigger finger 45* to the trigger. A downward bend to the wrist and an invitation to twist.
Next is letting the gun "roll", not what you want with recoil.
Most important is gun weight, light guns hurt and even a light 357 will make you think twice.
Shiny, smooth grips hit the road at my place. I have seen them slip in the grip and butcher trigger fingers. Some want a show piece instead of control. Determine what you can do and load accordingly. Nothing wrong with reduced loads but you still need to get used to recoil, control it and get rid of flinch before hunting.
Somewhere along the line you will need to shoot heavy loads for the accuracy and distance you will hunt.
Of all the guns I hunt with, the .44 is very dependable but the .475 has dropped more deer on the spot then anything else. It is just an amazing caliber.
I have been shooting heavy loads in one thing or another since I was old enough to hunt, hundreds of thousands of rounds, 357 to the .500 S&W and everything in between. I am over 75 now and have no damage at all from all the shooting. Everything I still shoot are still the most accurate hunting loads.
You can take control of the Freedom but might want a grip change.

bbqncigars
05-11-2013, 08:37 PM
There are certain handgun/load combinations that are NOT pleasant to shoot regardless of technique. My TC Contender with original ported 45-70 barrel and ergo grips is punishing when shot with full house rifle loads. I remember an article years ago that pictured shooting an original british 'howdah'(sp) pistol in .600 Nitro Express. The gun recoiled at a 45 degree angle off vertical and torqued 1/4 turn despite a braced position with a firm grip on the forearm. It did, however, turn the targeted concrete block into gravel. :-)