PDA

View Full Version : for the prairie dog hunters

johnson1942
05-08-2013, 10:49 PM
did a business trip to day to the rosebud reservation in south western s.dak. not only is it a beautiful area and terain, i saw prairie dog towns that went on forever. the population of dogs was the thickest ive ever seen anywheres. from what i could find out is the tribe allows hunts but you need a permit from them. if any one is interested start by calling the rosebud tribal headquarters and go from their. i know very little except what i saw today would make a prairie dog hunter very happy. one very high hill i stood on gave me a view of 100/s of sqare miles in all directions and a part of that was the biggest dog town i ever saw and it was thick with dogs. i thought i would pass this info on this site. also stopped at true value hardware in martin s.dak and picked up some .270 ammo for my son. was surprised to see about a dozen boxes of .223 ammo their yet. owner told me the biggest seller in that area is .270 and 06. record mule deer in that area. maybe i can help some one have fun.

remy3424
05-20-2013, 03:00 PM
The plague has not got them yet! I think it is the "guide" requirement, that turns most people off on the rez shooting. Don't normally hear good things about it. If you could get a guide to hang with you all day and put you on good shooting, I would be willing to pay for that.

crowbuster
05-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Right on the money remy, we went out to the rosebud for 15yrs to shoot p.d.'s The last 6-7 yrs have been a joke. rule changes at the last minute after plans are made and license's bought. the whole guide thing is a joke, we went north a few yrs when they started the guide thing. Then they had an area we culd shoot guid free, lasted 2 yrs, stopped it cold. We got to know some ranchers through the yrs and if not for them the last few rs wuld have been slim pickens. Lots of poisoning then the plague last yr. 2 of the ranchers called and told us if we were shooting there place that yr stay home, no dogs. We never had a hassle from game and fish whike there, just all the b.s. rules and hoops to jump through gets real old real quick. When we started going out I wuld say dog shooters brought around a million dollars to that horrible economy, they ran it straight in the ground. In they put on their website they were going green. no lead bullets at all, only frangable. riiiiiight! We stopped at hornady on th way home. ole jason almost had a cow when we told him that one. We have not been in 2 yrs and miss it terrible. lookin for a new place for 2014, we will shoot em somewhere. As you said, good place to stay away from, cant get a straight answer from em