PDA

View Full Version : I almost fainted!

Stonecrusher
05-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Placed an order with Midway the other day, they came out cheapest, and was very disturbed when I saw the shipping charges. I was sure they had a problem with their website so I tried it again. Shipping was only $5.25! I can't remember the last time Midway's shipping came up less than $12 or so. It wasn't a large amount of stuff but maybe they are starting to take note of the complaints about their excessive shipping costs. If so, just in time to break even with the new Internet Sales Tax that is being pushed now.

DLCTEX
05-08-2013, 09:22 PM
I have started ordering from them again with the lower shipping.

trying2learn
05-08-2013, 09:32 PM
I have only ordered one time and it was 6 380 magazines. They didn't charge much for shipping but that was months ago.

x101airborne
05-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Shipping was one of the reasons I quit ordering from them in the first place.

badboyparamedic
05-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Shipping was the reason I took my business elsewhere too.

TXGunNut
05-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Just got a big order in from them, shipping did seem pretty reasonable. Even had some ORM-D items in there. A fair part of my business involves shipping and I know a little about the costs of running a shipping operation. I've always felt their charges were fair.

gwpercle
05-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Remember the days when they had FREE shipping? Thats what first got me to ordering from them....then they got greedy and started sticking it to us on the " shipping & handling ". I don't order that much from them any more, try to give my business to local gun and reloading shops.

Harter66
05-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I got 3lbs in a 12x24x6 box shipping was $1. What burns me is that it UPS's from them to SLC UT then Reno ,Fallon Nv where it goes in the PO back to Reno then to me. 75 miles from Fallon ,back to Reno 140 mi away and another day ........the damned UPS truck goes by every Mon-Fri. Its the cheapest shipping.

nagantguy
05-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Yes I recall when there shipping was free. The good old days like when I could go to town and buy 22lr ammo. And our president was actually born here. O how l long for days of yore.

mt bwana
05-08-2013, 11:01 PM
i was trying to purchace a lee sizing die that was listed for $18.99 from midway, by the time they added shipping and handling it came out to $44.00. i did not place my order.

possom813
05-08-2013, 11:11 PM
i was trying to purchace a lee sizing die that was listed for $18.99 from midway, by the time they added shipping and handling it came out to $44.00. i did not place my order.

When was that? I ordered a sizing die for 19.99 a couple of weeks ago and it was 4.88 shipping and 3.00 handling, total of 28.00 with the NRA roundup.

mt bwana
05-08-2013, 11:14 PM
about a month ago

HighHook
05-08-2013, 11:16 PM
I could have a brand new ruger #1 on what I spent with midway shipping last year. Makes me sick!

Friends call me Pac
05-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Last time I ordered from them was last winter. Bought a lee 2 cavity mold and shipping was about the same as the mold. I have been using midway since early 90's but the over priced shipping put a stop to my shopping there. Glad to hear shipping rates have changed, I'll buy from them again if it is true.

wallenba
05-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Things are going to change a bit. The senate just approved a bill that will make all internet purchasers pay sales tax for their states. The merchant will have to keep track of all that and the costs will be passed on to us.

oldtrucks
05-09-2013, 12:39 AM
Their shipping seems pretty inconsistent to me. I had a 43# order that cost about $15 to ship, another order of 11# was $19. Both were USPS Flat Rate boxes, the more expensive shipping was a smaller box. I wonder if they cut some shipping cost as the price of the order goes up?

41 mag fan
05-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Wonder if the reason prices are cheaper is they are drop shipping more, instead of keeping a real time inventory at their place of business?

missionary5155
05-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Good morning
How does Starline do their buisness with shipping included ? Is the markup on brass already "good enough" that they can keep shipping included in the price ?
Wait a minute... that is a dumb question.. Sure the mark up is enough. But they sure do have good pricing. But then I cannot think of having just 20 pieces of brass available.
Miike in Peru

rhadamanthos12
05-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Their shipping has always been reasonable for me, my shipping always falls between 15-20 dollars and I always get it in 3 days. However, I try to make sure all my orders are at least 100 dollars and if there is nothing that I have a need for right away then I will wait till I can get the order 200+ so I can use a coupon code and get 20 dollars off which covers shipping usually.

dakotashooter2
05-09-2013, 10:14 AM
I've always found issue with companies that charge a "handling fee". It's a mail order business... everything has to be "handled"... thats a cost doing of business which should be worked into the product cost like all the other costs of business. Retail stores don't charge you and extra fee to check out and bag your purchases. Shipping costs are different because they can vary but some businesses still seem to use it as a proffit builder......

The reason I don't order from Midway anymore is twofold. Generally my orders are not that big and often for parts that combined could be shipped for a couple of dollars yet often the shipping is 1/2 as much or more that the products themselves. Some might say place bigger orders to offset that cost which is where the second issue comes into play. When I try to place a bigger order 1/2 the stuff I would want is generally out of stock...............

Harter66
05-09-2013, 10:59 AM
It's not just Midway that suffers from frieght confusion. I was looking at Natchez yesterday for a mould that I've wanted for some time . By the time they got the shipping on it I paid $1.56 more and bought a 4c NOE instead of the 2c RCBS.