PDA

View Full Version : [b]gettin old, i like short drags[/b]

OnHoPr
05-08-2013, 02:11 AM
I was transferring to a new phone today and was putting pics from the phone to the computer. Here is a couple of pics. This was my second cast boolit deer a few years ago. Thanx to a couple of years periodically lurking here for a couple of years before I joined the forum. The doe was at a 117 good paces and angled on a 30-40ish degree towards me exposing her left shoulder. She ran about 100 yards in the correct direction. As you can see the car is in the pic. It was my shortish drag ever without having to move the vehicle. Rifle is a Win 94 30-30 that I bought back in the mid-early 70's with paper route monies and cast boolit monies that I received from a local gun shop. The load was a Lee .30 180 gr in front of 32 gr of AC 4064.

gandydancer
05-08-2013, 02:23 AM
good work.good shooting. I like that 4064 powder that's all I use in my 308. GD [smilie=s:

44man
05-12-2013, 08:52 AM
I hate dragging too now. I have been using little machines for a while, recently changed to a Polaris 400. Dump bed. I can get very close to them and might have to drag a short distance. I can use it on all of my neighbors land.
Still a problem, some deer I can not lift into the thing so I go get help.
Long ago I had an old Toyota pickup. I mounted an electric winch in the front of the bed, pulled the cable out and attached it to the strap on the deer's neck. I put a plank on the tailgate and just pushed the button.
Been thinking of keeping one of my rope winches and a rope in the machine. Pull up the deer on a tree branch and back under it.
That's a nice deer, just the kind I like to eat.

x101airborne
05-12-2013, 09:04 AM
My friend at Ft Campbell is a disabled Viet Nam Vet, a great hunter and an avid sportsman. He even works at the fish and game station on post. Being a very independent person and very self reliant, he carried a roll of 550 cord and if he killed anything, he would tie one end to the deer and the other to his truck. He just pulled slow and the deer always came right out. A very self reliant man.

44man
05-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Shake your friends hand for me.
I could pull them out like that but then I have 1/2 mile of gravel road to home. I don't like to skin deer that way! :kidding: