PDA

View Full Version : Have ammo shortages affected any of us?

smkummer
05-07-2013, 07:24 PM
I don't consider myself a hoarder but I buy when I see a good deal as I really shoot alot. I have been doing this for the last 15 years and I still have good supplies of surplus military ammo plus all of my reloaded ammo with 75% of that using cast bullets. I still have about a 2 year supply of 22 rimfire (short, long, long rifle and magnum). I have about the maximum amount of powder (including the last of the military surplus) and primers allowed but occasionally some well used powders (700X) have to replaced . I still shoot all I want as my lead supply is also well stacked (thanks sixpointfive!). For myself I could "weather" this out for long long time. I am not bragging but does anyone else here feel the relief that reloading, thrift buying and casting has allowed one to feel during these times?

btroj
05-07-2013, 07:41 PM
No "relief", just a lack of worry over having enough supplies.
I have enough components to shoot for a year or more with no problems. Once things settle down I will replace some primers I have used up.

I won't even discuss how much powder I have on hand.....

labradigger1
05-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Learned my lesson in spring 09, ever since i buy even if i dont need it, pretty satisfied with my actions. What the gov calls a hoard i call a good start

Sgtonory
05-07-2013, 07:53 PM
I will be good for a few year at the rate i shoot now. About 30k primers and 21lbs of pistol powder and 16lbs of rifle powder.

hiram1
05-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Im good to go for a year or so .In all bullits i need [most are cast ].I still have a pile of 22 s and 45 s38s 223 3006 357 40 s and 9 mm.so im good for now

grampa243
05-07-2013, 08:08 PM
I let my primers get a little too low but i'm not out yet.

Jailer
05-07-2013, 08:21 PM
I'd be a little happier with a bit more 22lr but other than that I'm good for quite a while.

I saw this latest one coming and stocked up on a few items I was a bit short on before the election. I've got enough of the high use items to last me a couple years or more.

jcwit
05-07-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm 69 years old. I pretty sure I have enough supplies 'powder & primers & lead' to last me for the rest of my shooting days. Also have more than enough .22's to last me. No I have not bought any during this maddness, nor and during the previous one. Just bought when sales were going on and bought a bundle of stuff from a store going out of business years ago.

My lead is free as I help clean the backstop at our indoor range.

Atonic
05-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Can't shoot 22LR with wild abandon like I used to. Typical trip to the range would spend a bulk box.

fatelk
05-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Nope, not a bit, and not because I have a hoard or stash. I just don't shoot very much now. I have other priorities in life at this time; shooting is an interest that will just have to take a back seat for a few years.

gbrown
05-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Only thing I am concerned with is 22 LR. (5 bricks) Not for me, for my grandsons. I take one out to the range, that's a brick. I can do other things to distract them from that, so I'm not too worried, have plenty of components for that. Have enough to last about 2 years +. My belief is that by July/August, we will see a "lightening" up of the supply line. I may be wrong, my Crystal Ball broke a few years ago. We'll see. My powder supplier is building an order for me. I think it will be filled in my timeline--July/August. I'm not really worried, as I have other powder I can use. Keep the faith.

sixpointfive
05-07-2013, 08:46 PM
I am good for 10 years of shooting and lifetime on lead. I am out of 22 lr ammo and cannot get any. Did get raped recently on a purchase but needed it to play with my marlin 39a. If I get a chance I would like to get some 22 lr ammo. At current prices it is cheaper for me to shoot 45 acp than 22 lr. I waiting in line outside cabelas half our before it opened just to miss out on getting some ammo.

otter5555
05-07-2013, 09:01 PM
when clinton was elected the first time i bought a lifetime supply (i'm 62 now) of .223, 44 and 3030 components. i also bought a lifetime supply of 22lr. after i discovered the .17 hmr i bought a lifetime supply of it also.

i'm fortunate to live on the edge of wilderness and have my own business. i work, load, shoot all day long every day. i avg 100 rounds per day lrr and handgun.

i also bought 4 of everything needed to cast and load. some folks made fun of me. not now.

i will have to live to be 100 to use up my components/ammo unless we have a revolution :)

back then everything was dirt cheap. i could probably sell out and retire now :)

otter

NewbieDave007
05-07-2013, 09:41 PM
It has pushed me to get off my rear, stop just reading about it and actually move towards the security that you all are talking about. It has also pushed a discussion with my better half and a reprioritizing of funds that will allow us to build a stockpile once the supply is back and prices are reasonable. Until then, I'm focusing on "sweat equity" in picking up brass five days a week and mining range lead, as long as the weather and sunlight allow it. I've traded some brass locally, building a nice brass stockpile and collecting all of the brass that I won't reload in order to trade/sell.

Although I don’t like the current situation and the family hasn’t shot much, I am thankful that something finally pushed me to act and that we are going to have a stockpile for the next round of this craziness whenever it happens again.

TXGunNut
05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't get to shoot much and when I do I don't go thru much ammo. I won't need to buy components for years but I probably will anyway. Will be loading a new cartridge soon, first time I've used a WSP in quite some time, price tag says $12.95...on a box of 1000.

starmac
05-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Yup. It has caused me too walk to the ammo dept each and everytime I am in wallmart, fred meyers or any other store that sells ammo, just to see if they have any 22 ammo. I don't know why, I don't need it and probably won't even buy it, but I have to look. lol

TXGunNut
05-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Well, it has had a certain entertainment value for me, but that's just my twisted sense of humor.

uscra112
05-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Hasn't changed my life at all except I ran out of Varget and am using substitutes. And when I sold a 10-22 Ruger I used 300 rounds of Thunderbolt as bait.

Harter66
05-07-2013, 11:57 PM
I'm short on brass for a couple but they weren't ready going in and it's caused me to skip a couple of wish book projects.

Hanging out here has changed how I look at enough. I think I can weather a couple of years more w/o shotage.

LuvMy1911
05-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Yeah, a little. Before the elections I stocked up on some things. Budget too small to get all of what I wanted though... I'll get by

Rex
05-08-2013, 08:22 AM
I have to ration my shooting, Primers mostly and jacketed '06 bullets. Shoot the revolver just enough to keep the "feel".

Love Life
05-08-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm not shooting anywhere near as much due to my recent endeavors, but I am still buying when I see stuff available. I have a few long range tactical matches this summer that will put a healthy dent in my LRP, Matchking, and BLC-2 stash.

H.Callahan
05-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Currently shooting MUCH less. I was kinda caught with my pants down. I've never had the funds available to buy a lifetime supply of anything. I have to buy small quantities and hope things are available when I can afford them. In the past, I have been able to supplement my shooting with, then, relatively cheap .22LR. Not an option this time around.

I have some real heavy bills around the corner (wife diagnosed with cancer and no insurance), so it will probably be a long time before I can get on my feet again. I live in an area where reloading stuff is not easily available anyway, but I am really missing being able to drop into Walmart or Dick's or somewhere and getting a few boxes of .22s to feed my habit.

plmitch
05-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Really hasn’t had much effect here, we still go to the range as often as before the sky fell. Ammo is still available when needed, cost a bit more but still cheap enough.

destrux
05-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Health problems with the whole family last year kept me from buying much of anything to prepare even though I saw it coming. Didn't think it would be this bad but it makes no difference. I've managed to find what I can now for mostly normal or at least trainable prices. I'm glad I had a few bricks of 22 on hand but I haven't used any since last year anyway. We see a steady supply of stuff here but people are buying it so fast its never on the shelf for more than an hour. I saw over 100 bricks of 22s sell out at the local Walmart the other day in about a half hour. People were running to check out and come back for more since there's a 3 box limit per person. They also sold 30 boxes of 9mm and about 25 100rd cases of 12ga in the same time frame. They also sold a few boxes of 223 and 45acp but they only got in a few of those. I bought a box of 12ga to use to shoot clays last weekend. I don't reload shotshells yet.

Ohio Rusty
05-08-2013, 05:27 PM
As soon as I thought I had a decent supply of most everything, I was a happy camper. I don't shoot alot, not as much as many on the list, so I am good for a while. Most of the stuff I reload is for other family members to shoot anyway ....
Ohio Rusty ><>

762 shooter
05-08-2013, 05:50 PM
No Problemo here.

Shedhunter
05-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Hasn't bothered me, load/cast my own and all is good. When this is all done will get more primer and powder though.

62chevy
05-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Didn't buy my first gun until this year when I turned 60. My Dad gave me a shotgun back in 1980 but rarely used it. When they started talking gun banns back in December the Wife and I decided it was time to do something. She bought a 22 revolver in March so those have been a pain to get. She got a 22 mag cylinder and 22 LR cylinder with it, if she hadn't it would have been a paper weight. Finally scored 22 LR this week at two locations so good to go for a short time. I've reloaded some for my 45 acp with fair results. can't find any info for the Lee 160 gn TN boolit so it's been hit and miss.

runfiverun
05-08-2013, 07:36 PM
you can use 185 gr data for the 160 you'll have to start with it and work up.
the 160's take a bit more powder to operate the slide on a 1911.
I started at 6.0 grs of unique and worked up from there the 6gr load was iffy at best on slide operation.

62chevy
05-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks runfiverun was wondering if that was it. 5 gr of Bullseye should work then as it is faster burning than unique.

375supermag
05-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Hasn't affected me yet.
We still go shooting when we have the time, whether centerfire handgun, 22LR or busting(OK,missing) clay birds with the 12 gauges.

I have enough components for about a year.
I have been slowly stockpiling primers and pistol primers. We have been seeing some of each on the shelves on an intermittent basis. I load up a thousand rounds and buy two thousand primers. I use a pound of powder and buy two. While availability has been hit and miss, prices have stayed within a dollar or so per pound or thousand. Cast lead bullets seem to be available at slightly inflated prices(depending on the supplier or gunshop). Jacketed Hornady bullets for handgun calibers and popular rifle calibers are very scarce.
What we can't seem to find around here is .22LR, .303British, 7mmx57Mauser or .30/30 factory ammo or RCBS die sets.
I can't remember the last time I bought a round of factory handgun ammo(other than 9mm), certainly at least a decade.
I shoot more than anybody I know and they are all complaining about costs and lack of availability. None of them reload.
I have one friend that I reload for...he never complains about the cost of the factory ammo he buys because he knows that if he gives me the brass he gets to shoot it at least 10-15 times at no charge. I make sure he has plenty of .38 and .357 to shoot and he just keeps showing up every shooting session with about 250 rounds of factory ammo. I am building up an impressive stash of .38, .357 and 9mm brass.

Ole
05-08-2013, 08:34 PM
I've shot more in the last 12 months than I had in the previous 24. :mrgreen:

I've got plenty of stuff to see me through this. I'm shorter on (rifle) powder than anything else, but I'm hesitant to store any more than I have currently in my house for fire safety reasons.

wv109323
05-08-2013, 08:37 PM
I would buy some different .22LR just to try in a rifle that I just bought. I am OK on everyday 22LR.
Will need to buy SPP and SRP when things get back to normal. At present rates I can make it a year before things get critical.

daniel lawecki
05-08-2013, 08:38 PM
I,ve limited my 22lr shooting to 50rds per week allother calibers to around 500rds per week.

xacex
05-08-2013, 09:38 PM
I think there should be a class action law suit against this administration for causing undue post traumatic stress disorder to those of us that have had to fight like hell calling and writing our senators. After getting the message out that there is a majority of the population that does not agree with restrictions on gun ownership the ammunition shortage, and inability to enjoy the sport that relaxes me has cause me undue stress. Along with a class action law suit I would like a cease and desist order for DHS purchases, and all future sales need to be calculable to only one or two years supply of normal amounts of practice, and duty ammunition.
Ammunition should not be considered a commodity to be traded on, but available to everyone who is permitted by law to posses said ammunition. Just like food ammunition is a necessity for the common man, and should be dispersed as such with no tax.
Frankly, I have been to damn busy to even shoot much let alone reload, or cast. It has not been to bad for me because i have just shot less than i normally would anyway. That does not mean i have not paid attention, or held onto what I need with an iron fist. With anything, if you don't look ahead you will get caught with your pants down eventually.

gwpercle
05-08-2013, 10:10 PM
I have been seening the panic buying every time a anti-gun person gets elected or re-elected or some type of ban is proposed. The first one I recall was just prior to the gun control act of 1968. It's not going to stop because people are easy to spook and start buying everything up . As if no more 22's will ever be manufactured, So they by 6,000 rounds at an inflated price then brag about it. It's happened before and will happen again....just human nature.

km101
05-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Got enough "stuff" to last me through the current craziness, if I don't do more shooting than normal. Not shooting much right now due to health problems, but I should be back at it in a couple of months. Just have to pace myself and I should be OK.

Wis. Tom
05-08-2013, 10:29 PM
I am shooting just as much, but shooting my 44 and my 1911s alot more, as that is what I cast. The 30 carbines and the AR's are sitting more idle, as I don't molds for those. I have stock for them, but one more shooting in this country, and that stock might have to last. The 8mm Mauser is getting more work, as supplies are ample.

Kraschenbirn
05-08-2013, 10:31 PM
About the time the 'panic' began to gain momentum, I ran a quick inventory and came to the conclusion that I'm good for, at least, two years at my current rate of consumption. Hasn't stopped me though from picking up additional lead, powder, and primers when I could buy at a reasonable price. A few more bricks of .22s, a jug of AA2700 (or W760), and another of H4895 and I could easily stretch my supplies out for another year or two beyond that.

Bill

quilbilly
05-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Not me. As soon as the Republicans nominated Romney, I beefed up my inventory.

Harter66
05-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Yesterday I discovered just how bad the madness has affected me. Me the Prince of cheap actually bought a top shelf mould . It's a mad house !

dakotashooter2
05-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Only thing I am concerned with is 22 LR. (5 bricks) Not for me, for my grandsons. I take one out to the range, that's a brick. I can do other things to distract them from that, so I'm not too worried, have plenty of components for that. Have enough to last about 2 years +. My belief is that by July/August, we will see a "lightening" up of the supply line. I may be wrong, my Crystal Ball broke a few years ago. We'll see. My powder supplier is building an order for me. I think it will be filled in my timeline--July/August. I'm not really worried, as I have other powder I can use. Keep the faith.

Not sure what your grandsons shoot but if it is a semi auto, a good single shot can reduce that consumption and still be plenty entertaining.

I think it has also forced some of us to consider backup components that we would otherwise overlook. I know I have developed "alternate loads" to take advantage of available powders......

Fortunately over the last couple of years if I saw a deal on components I bought it even if I didn't need it or it wasn't my prefered brand............

Sensai
05-09-2013, 12:36 PM
The biggest effect it's had on me is my blood pressure. I can understand "hoaders" to a point, but I HATE scalpers. I hope the scumbags that buy up everything that comes out to sell it at rediculous prices get caught with all their money tied up in ammo when the supply catches up.

Jim
05-09-2013, 12:54 PM
I look at the price and if it don't suit me, I just walk away.

I quit lettin' people make me mad a long time ago. In 15 seconds, they forget I was even there and I'm the one that gets gas and indegistion.

smkummer
05-11-2013, 09:14 AM
The responses were what I expected. I can understand ammo manufactures not wanting to add employees and capitol that may sit idle after a surge. But my .02 is that a lot of new shooters are now "infected" with the fun of shooting sports and the new normal amounts of "actually expended" ammunition has got to be higher than 5-10 years ago. Cable shooting and gun episodes also get the word out. Hopefully down the road this has got to be good for all of us.