PDA

View Full Version : Babbit Material?

SPRINGFIELDM141972
09-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and this is my first posting, so if you need to move this to a different location, please do.

I have access to a large quanity of babbit bearing material. Is it usable as pistol, rifle bullet lead or possibly dropshot from a littlton shot maker?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bass Ackward
09-10-2007, 05:22 PM
There are literally dozens of babbitt mixtures. Most are lead or tin based. Some have aluminum i9n them and are not usable. So bottom line is that you need to know what you have or are getting before one can offer suggestions really.

Search the WEB for babbit and you will see what I mean.

felix
09-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Tell us what it was used for. ... felix

SPRINGFIELDM141972
09-10-2007, 05:45 PM
BA,

I really have no idea of the base mixtures of this material. It is coming from old line shaft bearings that I was told I could have. It seems to be pretty soft. I guess I will just have to smelt it and see if it will cast.

felix
09-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Shaft bearings are understood. How heavy was the rotor, and how fast did it turn, is the key to this mystery. ... felix

SPRINGFIELDM141972
09-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Felix

The shaft diameters range from 8" to 20". Most of these are dredge cuttershaft bearings, which means no more than 30 rpms. I just when and put a knife to about a dozen of these and they all mark the same, alot like WWs.

454PB
09-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Here's some interesting reading. It's modern babbitt metals and may not relate well to older stuff. From your description, what you have may be high tin content. I think I'd do some small scale alloying and testing, so that you don't spoil a large batch of alloy.

http://www.alchemyextrusions.com/babbitt/

mag_01
09-10-2007, 11:34 PM
:coffee: -- I use babbitt which was used for bearings in a lumber mill --- About 15% mixed with WW and range scraps works out well for me. I found if I used just babbitt it was hard and brittle as well as it being hard on dies . If I remember right it would crumble under pressure and I did mess up a sizing die . But with 15% or so this babbitt makes nice boolits. Again as others have stated it all depends what its composition is. ----- Mag_01

Anyone know whats at the end of that long dark road ?:Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

SPRINGFIELDM141972
09-11-2007, 12:53 PM
First I would like to say this forum is a great resource. I appreciate the fact that you guys(or girls) are willing to share some of your knowledge. Maybe there will be a subject arise that I will have some insight on and be able to return the favor. Thanks to all for you input on the matter.

This will have to be a trial and error process. I just did not want to waste time if everone else knew that babbit would not work.

Regards,
Everett

Freightman
09-11-2007, 04:42 PM
It is FREE right smelt it see what happens if it doesn't work sell it to the scrap yard! WiN WiN situation as I see it.

HORNET
09-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Springfield,
FWIW, my dad had a LOT of railroad car bearing babbit and used it with equal parts of range salvage and wheelweights. He claimed the mix was just a little softer than Lyman #2 alloy. Still got some around somewhere.....Still uses Texaco Hot Box Coolant for lube ,too (disgusting to clean up but real effective).

cohutt
09-11-2007, 09:23 PM
It is FREE right smelt it see what happens if it doesn't work sell it to the scrap yard! WiN WiN situation as I see it.

Yes, but you might have to clean your smelting equipment up a bit from the duds though.:-D

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/funkyalloy9907009.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/funkyalloy9907005.jpg

felix
09-11-2007, 10:14 PM
With the RPM's that low and with that much weight, the Babbit is lead based and not tin based. ... felix