PDA

View Full Version : Racoon

daniel lawecki
05-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Racoon climbs downspout gets on roof enters by taking a piece of enterlocking facsia off. He's a big one opened attic opening took a couple shots with Grandson pump bb gun. Would trapping work he pretty smart. Or just pop him with 22cb cap. Single story house in city. I want him out dead or alive hopefully the first choice. Thanks Daniel

a.squibload
05-07-2013, 05:31 PM
When I have some smoke or stink in the kitchen
I open the hatch to the attic, and the kitchen
window. Maybe you could get an airflow going
and smoke him out, pepper spray, something.
Have someone watch the hole, when the coon
leaves board it up. Or he might leave anyway
at night to find food. Probably harder to get him
to go outside in the daylight.

labradigger1
05-07-2013, 05:33 PM
mini cap .22, or havahart live trap baited with cat food

km101
05-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Put some dry dog food outside the hole, and wait for it to come out. If you are using CB caps you better try for a head shot. They are pretty tough. And make sure that it is dead, dead, dead before you try to pick it up!
Just sayin'.

If you live in the city, you might run afoul of city ordinances re: discharging firearms in city limits. If so, call animal control and ask them to bring a trap. Also a point to consider: it may be a female having babies in your attic. Make sure you get the little ones if that's the case.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-07-2013, 05:41 PM
i would just off him cb caps will work just fine :-)

300winmag
05-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Take a paper plate cover in aluminum foil, mix decon with a can of sardines, place in attic. Eats it, in a day or 2 bag it and off he goes. No mess, no hole in the roof and no bites.

vamoosevarmint
05-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Only problem shooting in attic is if not a leathal shot the coon may duck into a soffit and die making harder for retreival. You can try the live trap. Hopefully he or she is not educated with live traps, makes them tuff to catch. Can you get to the place where the coon is entering the house? If so set the trap on the roof, put a board or some sheet metal under trap so they dont destroy the shingles, place trap near the opening gives a better success rate. After catching see if it a female, if it is you need to look for pups. Depending on your area they may or may not be mobile and you may have to retrieve them. If you want more info call me thru my web site at WWW dot vamoosevarmint dot com call the northern lower Michigan number and I will explain the easy dead way.

Bad Water Bill
05-07-2013, 05:49 PM
If you use a trap and catch it slide a black plastic construction bag over the cage. It will calm down almost immediately.

If you wish to release it take it AT LEAST 25 miles away or it WILL be back in a few days.

A 22 cal air rifle pellet to the head allows it to go to sleep INSTANTLY:bigsmyl2:

Your neighbors will never hear you giving it a sleeping pill.

41 mag fan
05-07-2013, 06:03 PM
If you use a trap and catch it slide a black plastic construction bag over the cage. It will calm down almost immediately.

Or take it to your nearest disliked politicians house and leave as a present on doorstep in the trap still!!

fcvan
05-07-2013, 06:05 PM
I know this is cast boolits, but this sounds like a job for Robin Hood or some other archer. The bastard I'm after climbs over the house and has screwed up some trim boards on his way up and down. I had the bastard under the front porch but it was very seriously dark. I can't hold the night vision and a bow at the same time. I've got a serious pellet gun and will have to mount the night vision and a laser dot on the pellet gun and regulate the POI. Rocky is going to need Gideon's bible. Bandit ******** killed my dachshund a couple years ago

300winmag
05-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Or take it to your nearest disliked politicians house and leave as a present on doorstep in the trap still!!
To easy, leave a brown bag full of cow doody, put some lighter fluid on it light it, bang on the door yell fire. Be somewhere to watch them stomp it out.

Bad Water Bill
05-07-2013, 06:27 PM
I have a broadhead arrow i sent into a coons chest while he was in the attic.

The next day I found the arrow (now bent into almost a C shape) laying on the top of the crown of the roof.

Never heard from it again. It definitely was one tough coon.:evil:

Can you imagine pulling the fletching out? It had to crawl thru the hole with the arrow stuck in the body then pull it out on the roof.

contender1
05-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Ok, I do Nuisance Wildlife Control for a living.
A coon is a tenacious critter and will cause damages. My favorite saying is that a "Raccoons are like little bears on crack cocaine."

Do not use poisons. It is illegal in all states to poison wildlife.
Traps are the best non-shooting method of dealing with the problem.
Do not use cat or dog food as bait. (You may catch an unwanted catch in the form of a neighbors pet.)
You can PM me for details on what I use to catch coons. It's cheap, easy & very effective.
Use two cages if you can. Just in case he trips one before figuring out how to go in.
I have a few other tricks I'll share about trapping in a PM only.

Relocation is illegal in many places due to rabies concerns.

In NC & a few other states,, a PERMIT to trap out of season is required. They are usually FREE,,, so obey the law & get one in advance.

Realize that it's HIGHLY possible this time of year the coon is a female & there can be babies in your home as well. You will need to be able to deal with that as well. If they die inside the home, they will stink for a few days or up to a week or so. Again, I can offer advice in a PM.

Once you are SURE all animals are out, THEN you will need to secure ANY holes of access points they have used or tried to use. Liquid foam, as well as aluminum flashing is your friend. The foam is used to block any airflow, (think scent trail,) and the flashing is used to prevent re-entry. Use BOTH on all points of entry.

firefly1957
05-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Live trap is best bet in the attic use the cat food or marsh mellows if there is a cat up there it needs to go as well. poisons outside can cause trouble with other non target animals inside it leaves a stinking animal in the house that may be hard to remove. Once in the trap it is best to fill a garbage can with water and put it in next best would be sealing it in garbage bag and either add gas or alcohol and seal or just seal it will die in time. Check were you can dispose of it in the city everyone is watching so do it legally.

uscra112
05-07-2013, 10:17 PM
CB caps and air rifles might get the racoon's attention for a moment, but within 2-3 seconds it'll be back to doing whatever it was doing. I've had a coon absorb 4 rounds of high speed hollowpoints and still leave the premises unaided. Tough critters. Used to have them around the farm in MI, and the only thing that would stop them quickly was my .25-20. Traps are your only answer if you have them where you can't shoot centerfire.

deep creek
05-07-2013, 10:50 PM
I do pest control for a living .I dont try to catch them in the attic,they are spooky when up there.If its a female and has pups i wouldnt use a cb cap because shell take your gun away and put it where the sun dont shine.A momma coon is nasty!!What id do is listen for the pups.and if you can hear them and they are in an area you can get to then set a heavy duty box trap for mom outside on the ground. use marshmellows and sfe.It would help if you could get a trail camera where its going in to see if its bagged up.If its a male and wont go in a box trap id set a 220 conibear at the entry point.If its a female and you cant get to the pups pm me and illtell you a easy way to make her scoot.with the pups

Mk42gunner
05-07-2013, 11:22 PM
I've never had a live coon in the house, but I would listen to what contender1 and deep creek have to say.

In many states racoons are classifed as furbearers and have regulated seasons; you really don't want to have to go to court for taking furbearers out of season. I would think having it in the house would be an automatic issue for the permit, if required, from the local game warden. Most of the ones around here are pretty good guys.

Robert

Gator 45/70
05-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Peanut butter is crack to a coon.
Trap it.
Shoot it.
Cook it.

Boyscout
05-08-2013, 02:56 AM
I caught a medium size coon in my attic last year in a live trap. It pulled itself out of the attic while in the trap into my garage, fell 12 feet, destroyed the trap, pulled some of my casting clothes into the cage, shredded and then pissed on them. I do not know how it got away but we never found it. We later caught the criminal outside next to the tree it climbed up in the first place. I had to obstruct the sides of the trap becuase it emptied the bait and sprung the trap each time. We dispatched it with a .177 pellet to the head. We then foamed up the hole in the soffit, repaired it and put aluminum flashing on it. Little bears on crack is a good description. You might try marshmellows for bait; cats don't care much for them.

Lloyd Smale
05-08-2013, 05:13 AM
tuna fish mixed with antifreeze

Gliden07
05-08-2013, 06:35 AM
I had a problem with squirrels in my attic in town. I trapped them with a Have-A-Heart and brought them into the cellar where I dispatched them away from prying eyes!!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-08-2013, 12:30 PM
I have shot coons in the head with cb capps , the skull is hard it sometimes works sometimes conks the them out and the come to in a few minutes

the neck is the best soft target , if you get a artery they blead out fast

then of course there was the one i got that waked around the house pumping blood out in spurts , it calmed down and walked out the open front door , it had come in the chimney

I have had better results with the Remington CBee long hollow points than i had with the CB short solids

i did fire the cb solids from a 6 inch barrel revolver from a distance of 4 feet , they may have worked better from a rifle

the Cbee long HP i fire from a bolt action rifle

in my testing the CBee longs didn't go thru 1 1/2 inch line construction lumber when shot from a rifle , and when using a >20" barrel bolt gun the noise was very minimal

Jim
05-08-2013, 01:11 PM
About three years ago, when I first started huntin' with these boys up here in Floyd, We had a good bit of excitement one night over a supposedly dead 'coon.

Me and Jeff and Billy went out one night with Billy's Penny dog and Jeff's Susie dog. We hunted a coupla' hours and killed one. On the way back to the house, we came around a curve in the road and there's a 'coon crossin' the road. Billy slammed on the brakes and all three of us bailed outa' the truck. The 'coon went up a little saplin' on the side of the road.

Billy had some sorta' little 22 revolver on his hip, so he drew his gun, walked up to the saplin' and shot the 'coon in the head. The 'coon fell outa' the tree and Billy picked him up.

Billy' had a double compartment dog box in the back of the truck and both dogs were in the same compartment. Billy opened the door on the empty compartment and tossed the 'coon in and shut the door. We got back in the truck and headed on back to the house.

'Bout half way home, the dogs went ape stink hermatile crazy, bayin' and barkin' like there weren't no tomorrow. Billy's hollerin' out the window "HAH! Shut up all that fuss back there!" Didn't do no good. Jeff said "They bayin' on that 'coon back there."

So, Billy pulled off on the side of the road and we all got out to see what the racket was about. Jeff told Billy "You need to move that 'coon, that's why they raisin' all that fuss." So, Billy opened the door to the compartment where he had put the 'supposedly' dead 'coon.

The 'coon came out goin' south, Jeff went west and I went east. Billy didn't have a snowball's chance in a brick oven. The 'coon went up one side of him and down the other, hell bent for anywhere other than where he was.

Near 'bout every time the three of us go and somebody shoots one, Billy will ask "Are you SURE he's dead?"

Blacksmith
05-08-2013, 01:22 PM
There are more suggestions in the Trapping Section of the Outdoorsman Forum
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?108-Lets-talk-trapping!

.45Cole
05-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Would trapping work he pretty smart. I want him out dead or alive hopefully the first choice. Thanks Daniel
Just call up the BATF and tell them he's a prison gang member (211 Crew will suffice) and is in possession of illegal weapons. Gone by morning!

km101
05-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Just call up the BATF and tell them he's a prison gang member (211 Crew will suffice) and is in possession of illegal weapons. Gone by morning!

Along with most of your possessions, your house and large parts of your neighborhood! You must not remember what they did in Waco!!!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-09-2013, 05:24 PM
don't use the shotgun either , shot one 3 times like that , with #6 shot , it stopped when i hit it with the slug

this was a 20ga full choke at 5-7 yards , i watched the fur fly but it kept moving , on of shots even knocked it down but it got right back up

shot another with a broad head length wise as it was climbing up an apple tree , it hung up there with hole from inside the rear leg to high out the chest next to the neck , sounded like rain hitting the leaves till finally after a few minutes it fell

i shot another with the bow side to side and the ground slowed the arrow down it waddled away with my arrow , got caught up in some brush and i when and took a few swings at it with the machete , it turned on me and started growling , i figured i might just end up cutting the brush fee before i killed it with the machete and i wasn't as concerned with getting my arrow back any more

I haven't had one just roll over and die for me yet , any that died fast were shot with something big or it was a good shot to the vitals or both

Mk42gunner
05-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Make SURE he's DEAD!

...We had a good bit of excitement one night over a supposedly dead 'coon.

I agree 100% with Jim on this, Make sure He's Dead. Few things are less fun than a suddenly reincarnated boar coon.

On The Night of The Electric Fence Incident, shortly after said incident, Red treed a big boar coon and Billy shot it out of the tree. One .22 LR to the chest and away we went with Billy carrying the coon. About 50-75 yards later, Red started barking treed again. Since she was Billy's dog, I took over carrying the dead (we thought) coon by the back legs while he went to the dog.

Another 50-75 yards, just as he shot the next coon out of its tree; I changed grips from the back legs to the tail. The coon came alive and bit me on the leg. Well of course I let a yell like a wild animal had hold of me and let loose of it hoping it would do the same.

Come to find out it had bitten at my lower leg and got a mouth full of Levi while barely breaking the skin, just over the top of my Redwing boot. My leg was in a lot better shape than my jeans (and no they didn't need changing).

After that night I always made sure that any coon I picked up was thoroughly dead.

Sometime maybe I'll tell about the night I learned not to have the shortest rubber boots while coon hunting, but I doubt it.

Robert

lksmith
05-09-2013, 11:22 PM
CB caps and air rifles might get the racoon's attention for a moment, but within 2-3 seconds it'll be back to doing whatever it was doing. I've had a coon absorb 4 rounds of high speed hollowpoints and still leave the premises unaided. Tough critters. Used to have them around the farm in MI, and the only thing that would stop them quickly was my .25-20. Traps are your only answer if you have them where you can't shoot centerfire.

22 subs and 22 shorts work.
Several were tearign up me feeders so I trapped several and dispatched them with a suppressed 22 using either shorts or subs. never needed more than 1 shot

Blacksmith
05-10-2013, 02:49 AM
No matter if it is a 'coon or deer shot placement always counts.

starmac
05-10-2013, 03:56 AM
Man you guys have some tough coons. lol In Texas we just stomped them to death BAREFOOT. lol

I was catching some baby coons with a noose on a stick. I was on a ladder on the deck of a flatbed truck so I could reach the hole in the hollow tree. When I got the noose around one, I would bring it out and turn around and hand it to a friend of mine to take out of the noose. When I got down to the last one the old momma coon would keep it covered up so I got the noose around her. I had to work at it (it was heavy) to make it look like I was bringing out a baby, but I got her done and turned around and handed it to him. I aam pretty sure if that feller is still alive he remembers grabbing that mad momma coon to this day. lol

375RUGER
05-10-2013, 10:26 AM
live trap baited with an egg, either fresh or rotten. A coon just won't pass up an egg.

fatelk
05-10-2013, 10:28 AM

True. To kill a raccoon with a .22 CB cap (or LR for that matter), you have to hit it just right. Holding a flashlight on a moving animal in an attic- I'm not that sure of a shot myself.

10-x
05-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Reminds me of the "Willie P. Richardson" tape about the wild hog in the freezer................LOL

DLCTEX
05-11-2013, 02:55 PM
It reminds me of a friend who hit a deer in his Volkswagen Van in 1960+. He threw it in the van to take home and butcher. It came to life in San Angelo and trashed the van in short order before he was able to open the sliding door and let it out. It was last seen running down Bell Street.

merlin101
05-11-2013, 10:54 PM
I was catching some baby coons with a noose on a stick. I was on a ladder on the deck of a flatbed truck so I could reach the hole in the hollow tree. When I got the noose around one, I would bring it out and turn around and hand it to a friend of mine to take out of the noose. When I got down to the last one the old momma coon would keep it covered up so I got the noose around her. I had to work at it (it was heavy) to make it look like I was bringing out a baby, but I got her done and turned around and handed it to him. I aam pretty sure if that feller is still alive he remembers grabbing that mad momma coon to this day. lol

With friends like you , who needs enemies? Great story!

I had a coon problem in my garage (in the city) I used .22 shorts and got one in the head, problem solved. Or so I thought, I shot the next one and thought I missed til about a week later. WHEW!!! I had to tear out some drywall in the ceiling to get the stinking carcass out. MAKE SURE ITS DEAD RIGHT THERE!

Jim
05-11-2013, 11:03 PM

I put a good scope and a good light on my 'coon rifle and check the dial-in two or three times during the season so I can do just that. I go to great pains to get shots like this one.

fatelk
05-11-2013, 11:39 PM
I grew up on a dairy farm, and the raccoons made a mess of the cattle feed and went after the chickens. We had a collie that hated them. Seemed like every week or two she would tree or corner one, then raise a fuss until someone (me) would come out and take care of it. I learned the importance of careful shot placement.

If I couldn't get a good shot, or pulled the trigger too quick, the dog had a fight on her hands. She almost always won, but they could put up one heck of a fight and occasionally one got away.

I have a photo of her somewhere, the morning after. She's laying there next to a dead raccoon, her hair matted with blood, with a smile on her face. I never knew dogs could smile, but she was smiling.

Another time I was bringing the herd up from pasture for the morning milking and she was barking at a hollow stump in the woods off the cow trail. I went over and looked in to see a big raccoon. I packed my old Ruger Standard with we so I shot it.

At evening milking she was over there barking again. I got a light and looked in again to see a bunch of baby raccoons.

I really am too soft to be much of a hunter and I just hate killing things, so I told my little sister about them. She is still to this day a total animal nut. She rescued these baby raccoons (scolded me for shooting their mommy, made me feel bad), and raised them, using fresh cows milk and a syringe to feed them. I'm sure you're not supposed to do that, but this was a long time ago.

Half-grown tame raccoons can get really aggressive. We eventually had to drive them a long ways away to make sure they wouldn't come back.

Then there was the time she raised an orphan possum. A farm cat had kittens about the same time, so she attached the baby possum onto a spigot alongside the kittens. The cat adopted it as her own, and somewhere my folks have a photo of this poor cat walking along with a too-big baby possum clinging to her back. Too many stories...

daniel lawecki
05-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Well peanut butter on bread or tuna fish has not worked so far looks life lead is next.

fatelk
05-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Back to the raccoon in you attic; sorry for the thread drift on my part.

A good friend of mine is a government trapper. One of his jobs (the part he doesn't like) is responding to calls from people with wild animals in their houses.

He told me a story of a raccoon under a mobile home, living in the space between the insulation and the floor. Every time he would peek up through the hole to see where it was, it would rush at him snarling. He couldn't shoot it because it was in town. I don't remember how he finally got it out, but he did.

I can give him a call later today to see how he handles situations like this. If you haven't already, you might call animal control and see what they suggest or if they have someone who could take care of it. I expect they deal with this kind of thing regularly. Good luck!