PDA

View Full Version : Not my day

btroj
05-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Today just wasn't my day.

I had the day off, wanted to get some shooting in. Have a new mould I was testing and wanted to shoot some handgun.

First I had to go into work for an hour or so to meet with a couple people.

Came home, changed clothes, loaded the truck and headed off.

Great, the dang TPMS light is on. Stop and look, yep, low tire. Got air and gas, stopped at the guy I use for tires. Had an 1/8 inch volt in tire. 20 bucks and 30 minutes and I am off again.

New bullet shot well, head down to pistol pit for a bit. Get my bowling pin set out, grab some range scrap, get ready to shoot. Dammit, I forgot magazines for the 1911. Oh well, I gathered about 10 pounds of range scrap and headed home.

Wonderful, TPMS is back on. Same tire. Got air, made it home. Will see how the tire looks in the AM, don't really want to replace a tire with 5500 miles on it.

Yeah, today just wasn't my day. I won't be casting or loading ammo today- wouldn't be prudent at this point.

labradigger1
05-07-2013, 04:51 PM
you should just go to bed, tomorrow will be better

a.squibload
05-07-2013, 05:37 PM
I carry a plug kit and compressor, fixed
last 7 flats without removing the wheels.
At least you found lead!

41 mag fan
05-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Road hazard insurance...always good to have. My tires on my truck cost $275 + new. Had to use it once going to MN and had a nasty flat. Was glad I paid the extra money for it.

DLCTEX
05-07-2013, 08:05 PM
There is no road hazard warranty on new vehicle tires, as I have found out on two occasions. First time the tire had 476 miles on it when it was punctured through the side wall. The second was on my truck at about 8000 miles and it was cut so large it went flat immediately and was chewed up by the time I could stop.

x101airborne
05-07-2013, 09:19 PM
If you go to any Discount tire, they can put road hazard on ANYTHING rolling. I have put road hazard on old trailer tires! No kidding.
I bought two new tires for my new to me truck. TWO tires were 686.00. And yep, even on my new bad boy tires, I get road hazard. And it works at any Discount Tire location.

btroj
05-07-2013, 09:21 PM
The place I usually get my tires will repair any tire for no charge. I didn't get these tires there, the truck was bought new last Oct.

The tire doesn't bother me as much as forgetting the dang magazines. That was just plain dumb

firefly1957
05-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Yesterday was my bad day chain saw would not run at high speed i figured crud in carb. so i tore it down cleaned it up and discovered the mixture screws have no slots according to manufacturer they have not offered the tool to end users since 2000 because of a bill clinton EPA ruling any way now the thing will not start and local repair guy said he does not work on them ? I did find i can adjust mixture screws with a 1/4" nylon air brake line. So i got old chain saw out Pro Mac 650 cut a inch into the tree that is across trail and chain went to pieces, Same local guy had no chain for it? Today i drove to another town and got a chain for old saw at homedepot it was an odd size but listed in their book i also downloaded the information for newer chain saw should be able to get it going again. That old McCullough pro mac 650 sure cuts good with new chain it goes though pine like a knife though warm butter.

leadman
05-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Gotta watch out for those stray VOLTS, will get you every time! LOL. If you have a Discount Tire close it might pay to buy the coverage. Most new truck tires are designed for fuel mileage and little else. The sidewalls and tread areas are extremely thin.
My buddy bought a new Dodge truck last year and by 5,000 miles had bought new tires because he kept having flat tires.

btroj
05-07-2013, 09:45 PM
This was a 1/8 inch diameter bolt. I have never had a flat caused by something this large. Right in the center of the tread.

marshall623
05-07-2013, 09:52 PM
On a construction site welding rods will do a number on a tire

btroj
05-07-2013, 10:03 PM
My favorite was the spent bullet in my tire once. I asked what the flat was from, he said it looked like a bullet. It was.

pipehand
05-07-2013, 10:32 PM
$20 to fix one flat? A couple of weeks ago I had a flat car tire, and a small Kubota tire fixed for a total cost of $10 and the owner gave me a 3 gallon bucket of wheelweights. When I got home I started thinking about what tires I needed to put holes in....:)

btroj
05-07-2013, 10:39 PM
20 bucks is cheap these days. We had another place once try and charge me 35. For the 30 minutes of labor and what not I figure it was a good deal. I sure don't want to do it!

pipehand
05-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Taking tires on and off rims is something left to those with the right equipment. I just happened to get a great deal that day- I think the owner felt bad that I had to wait because all of his help went on an extended lunch together at the same time.

btroj
05-07-2013, 11:01 PM
I went to school for a lot of years to not have that type of equipment or knowledge.......

Harter66
05-07-2013, 11:03 PM
I've had 5 sets of the same tires 3 sets no problems during the entire life of the tires. The last set nothing but trouble bad bead on 1,blistered sidewall on another,stone bruise on a tire w/8k on a 40k mi tire, wound up w/the 5th set in RH replacements made up the 5th set.

Oddest flat ? A leapard print house key.

Sweetpea
05-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Most tire shops around here fix flats for free anymore.

People remember that when it comes time to buy new ones.

Brandon

Mk42gunner
05-07-2013, 11:33 PM
$20.00 for fixing a tire with the pressure monitoring equipment inside doesn't sound that strange. What I balk at is spending $12-$15 for a simple patch on a normal car tire.

I worked in a tire shop when I was in high school thirty plus years ago. In the winter time, it wasn't unusual to see small pieces of frozen corn stalks penetrate a tire on the pickups a farmer used to feed cattle.

Robert

a.squibload
05-08-2013, 01:54 AM
I have the Discount Tire road hazard, it's just faster
to plug it and go.
Saw a pair of pliers stuck in a tire handle first.

gandydancer
05-08-2013, 02:44 AM
sorry for stealing your thread. I have to tell someone. repair tire fees not bad. today I had a tick removed from my dogs ear. to deep for me to remove. the vet bill. $275.00 bucks. the wife did not tell me until 20 mins ago.I sat in car at vets. she was afraid to tell me while there. afraid I would have ended up in jail. I would have. they will hear from me today. I may end up in jail yet. GD :killingpc

Goatwhiskers
05-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Fixing flats takes me back to my high school years. Dad was a rural mailman, same route I retired from. Roads were real bad back then, lots of gravel, plus nails in road, fence staples, etc. He would fix ones on the road after the spare was used, but the last one came home to me. This was in the day of hot patches on the tube and hand pumps. Figured if I couldn't find any other job, I have a trade to fall back on. When I got the route I kept plugs, glue, and a 12 volt pump. Now I just take 'em to the tire store. GW