PDA

View Full Version : Breaking my own rule

Beekeeper
05-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Mods If it doesn't fit here please move, Thanks!!

I have a story to tell and thought it better to do now than wait the 6 Months sabatical I placed on myself!

On the 2nd of January I took a barreled receiver , new barrel , and bolt along with the trigger group to Merlyn Rifle Works ( listed as Southern Ca. premium custom shop)
Was told 60 day turn around!! Remember that!!

At 60 days having heard nothing I called and was told it was taking longer than anticipated as the shooting had occured and everything had gone to hades in a hand basket but would be called any time as it was probably complete but not sent to them yet!
At 90 days I called after hearing nothing and the person who answered the phone stated I did not have a gun in their facility. When I said I had the receipt for it his answer was he would have tho owner call me!

At 100 days having heard nothing I called again and was told it was in the process of being blued (ha) and would receive a call in the next couple of days.

At 188 days I called and no one even answered the phone and after several trys I gave up and sent them an e-mail stating I was coming there today to pick it up finished or not.

After ariving at the appionted time I was told it was not there but at Grunnig Machine.
Seems it had been there for 120 days awaiting parts ( ie, new barrel).
The new barrel firing pin and trigger were at Marlyn Rifle Works for 123 days with a tag on them send to Grunnig ASAP but they never made it.

To say I am Pi$$ed is an understatement and needed to vent a little!!

Now I am on the hunt for a good Gunsmith to do the work who will not soft shoe song and dance me.
Anyone know a good one here in California or sorrounding states??

Beekeeper

Bjornb
05-07-2013, 10:27 PM
I would PM our own Buckshot. There's very little he doesn't know about customizing and he's based in SoCal.

JeffinNZ
05-07-2013, 11:43 PM
In my experience you are getting FAST service. 'Gunsmiths' are notoriously slow, at least in my part of the world. You basically have to stand over them. The best ones are the guys who don't let you into their workshop. As soon as the great unwashed are allowed in the talk starts and the work stops.

x101airborne
05-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Buckshot or Tim Malcom. I am in line for Tim for a 358 project, but I can say he is honest and tells me when he doesn't have time. I think I am like you, I dont mind waiting, just dont pee in my boots and tell me it is raining.

Harter66
05-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Our very own Goodsteel does some very nice work . He's in Ar but the work is worth the shipping . He communicates at every step,and burns the midnight oil literaly as needed to get you done up and done right . His work for me far exceeded my expectations.

HighHook
05-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Sounds like we have some great smiths on board here. Good to know.