PDA

View Full Version : Has This Happened in any Other State

ncbearman
05-07-2013, 02:29 AM
I love NC fortunately this term we have a republican house and senate

http://www.wral.com/house-votes-to-relax-gun-laws-in-nc/12417880/

oh and btw why do people keep referring to Colbert as a reputable news source.....................really

Phoenix
05-07-2013, 02:47 AM
Hehe, when I was in fayetteville WRAL was the station we watched. That was 22 years ago. The only thing I hated about NC was the PPT (personal property tax) I dont think anyone owns jewelry in NC at least on paper.

Good deal lets hope they get it passed.

And to answer your question, Yes several so far. It is a backlash from the feds trying to limit 2nd A rights

ncbearman
05-07-2013, 02:50 AM
Hehe, when I was in fayetteville WRAL was the station we watched. That was 22 years ago. The only thing I hated about NC was the PPT (personal property tax) I dont think anyone owns jewelry in NC at least on paper.

Good deal lets hope they get it passed.

That might not be back far enough to have seen the immortal Jessie Helms giving his nightly commentary on WRAL before he was a senator. "They should put up a fence around Carborro and Chapel Hill to keep em' all in".

Phoenix
05-07-2013, 02:55 AM
oh I remember Jessie Helms very well and immortal was a very good choice of words. Altho I didn't realize he was ever not the senator. Seemed like he was for 40 years.

TheDoctor
05-07-2013, 08:25 AM
I was in Fayetteville 21 years ago! Main thing I hated there at the time, besides being there, was that you had to have the sheriff sign off on a permit to PURCHASE a handgun. Being military, we normally had no problem getting a signature, but it struck me as totally wrong that you couldn't buy a handgun without one persons permission.

Phoenix
05-07-2013, 11:01 AM
I was at pope. Obviously you were at the bragg. I left almost exactly 21 years ago. Sounds like we had at least some overlap time. Honestly I didnt know about that rule, I never tried to buy one back then.

TheDoctor
05-07-2013, 12:32 PM
About 2 months overlap. Got there in Mar 92. You picked a good time to leave, you missed the F16's, which were very loud, and missed the big crash in 94. Bad day for all. I can say on the positive that I did meet a LOT of interesting people while I was there, even a couple of ok flyboys. Never paid a whole lot of attention to NC politics, couldn't vote there.

Love Life
05-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Now if they could only get rid of the stupid permit to purchase a handgun. It was easier for me to buy new handguns in California than it was in NC.

Being military, I had to get my Commanding Officer's permission to purchase, then a background check from the MP's along with their "stamp of permission", then over to the courthouse for another background check ($10) and a fingerprint. Finally turn everything in and wait 10 days for the Sheriff's office to call and say you can pick up your permission slip to buy a handgun.

NC can go suck an egg. Place is humid and full of welfare mooches anyway from Jacksonville all the way to the border, then it starts again in SC, then it starts again in GA (the mooches).

Moral of the story?

Free states are the bee's knees.

MtGun44
05-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Sounds like they are making it easier for CCW licensees to carry
where they need to. Good move.

KS just did some good stuff this year, too.
In KS we have made it a requirement for any state building to either
permit CCW licensees to carry, or have metal detectors and guards
at all entrances, 3 years to comply.
Also, schools can choose if they want to let employees carry on their
personal CCWs at the schools. It will at least give the option if the
school is not run totally by antigun folks.

Bill

Moonie
05-07-2013, 02:53 PM
The permit issue is a throwback to the old Jim Crow laws, it allowed the Sheriffs to prevent the "wrong kind of people" from owning firearms. They are an abomination that should be removed from law as soon as possible, they were enacted by the Democrats many years ago.

Not only do we have a republican controlled house and senate, we now have a republican governor as well, might be the first time republicans have controlled all 3.

Phoenix
05-07-2013, 03:42 PM
I left because of Clinton's policies. I knew at least 20 people that left the AF with 18-19 years in. They all took the early out. Said they couldn't survive 1-2 more years. When I left the F16 thing was trying to happen. There was bickering for years about the red cockated woodpecker and the f16s disturbing them (but not the howitzers you could hear from the other side of town). Ft Bragg had this HUGE wooded area west of pope. that included the howitzer range. They had trees with double red ribbons around them and then every tree within 100ft was marked with a single red ribbon. We were not allowed to even enter the area of the ribboned trees. It was a mess. We would go on readiness maneuvers and have to avoid trees with ribbons. I laughed then, and laugh now thinking about it.

TheDoctor
05-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Oh how I hated that freaking woodpecker. THAT bird was the actual post commander.

ncbearman
05-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Now if they could only get rid of the stupid permit to purchase a handgun. It was easier for me to buy new handguns in California than it was in NC.

Being military, I had to get my Commanding Officer's permission to purchase, then a background check from the MP's along with their "stamp of permission", then over to the courthouse for another background check ($10) and a fingerprint. Finally turn everything in and wait 10 days for the Sheriff's office to call and say you can pick up your permission slip to buy a handgun.

NC can go suck an egg. Place is humid and full of welfare mooches anyway from Jacksonville all the way to the border, then it starts again in SC, then it starts again in GA (the mooches).

Moral of the story?

Free states are the bee's knees.

Wow dude, sounds like you have some unresolved issues. Things are nothing like that now. CCW for 25 years now and I don't ever remember having to wait to buy a handgun. And we're not all "mooches" as you say. Quite frankly you did the right thing (by all concerned) and got the hell out of NC. I have family on welfare who are embarrassed and doing everything they can to get off. Things are tough. So whats the saying..................he who has no sin let him cast the first stone. I doubt your life choices have been perfect. Ease up LL.

trooperdan
05-08-2013, 03:52 PM
If you have a concealed carry permit there is no need to purchase a pistol permit now. They usually cost $5, just a money-maker for the county. The sheriff usually asked , "How many do you want?" :)