PDA

View Full Version : What I found at a friend's gun shop

Boerrancher
05-06-2013, 08:20 PM
I was out and about today paying some bills in town and decided since I had time I would run a few towns over and visit a buddy of mine and his son at their gun and taxidermy shop. Generally Glen has lots of reloading supplies, but the last few months he had been cleaned out. He had lots of guns on the shelf even a few black ones. He told me he is getting guns in but no components and no ammo. I walked over to his shelf of reloading supplies and saw nothing but can after can of WC860. He told me all he had left was all of that 860 and that no one wanted it. With a bit of haggling I walked out of there with all 10 lbs of it for $80.

10 lbs seems like a lot but that is less than 700 rounds for either of my Ultra Mags. From what I have been reading 860 is one of the more accurate powders in the RUM's. I loaded up 105.7 grs of it behind a 180 gr J word and shot several 3 shot sub MOA groups at 100 yards. I guess what I have been reading seems to hold up. I figured I would either have some good shooting powder or some good trading stock. It looks like I have shooting powder. Now to just get the 180 gr cast up to speed and I will be good to go.

Best wishes,

Joe

John Allen
05-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Joe, good luck it seems like a real winner

JeffinNZ
05-07-2013, 05:28 AM
105.7gr!!! That's 10 rounds by my loading.

Boerrancher
05-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Jeff, that is a light load. 113 gr is a heavy one. It is a real hoot shooting something that big, if you can take the recoil and the occasional bloody nose. I am still working on the load for the 7mm RUM I have as well. I am headed to the range in a bit to try and put the final touches on the 7mm. In a few years when I get some money I am going to rebarrel the 7mm. I am not happy with the barrel that Remington put on it. I am going to go to a varmint weight that is 28 inches, and then have it fluted to reduce some of the weight.

I don't know what Remington's fascination is with thin light barrels. I love the Remington 700 action, but the last 20 years or so they have really gone crazy trying to lighten up their rifles and I think it has hurt them in the accuracy department. I would rather pack a few extra lbs as to have a rifle that after 3 shots you can get second degree burns off of the barrel.

Best wishes,

Joe

JeffinNZ
05-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Remington, I suspect, does not have a fascination with light barrels. Shooters do. The lighter the gun the easier it is to carry. Whatever. I lug 10lb rifles around quite happily. If the average shooter had a the correct weight rig for the caliber and got FIT they would do a lot better IMHO.

41 mag fan
05-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Remington, I suspect, does not have a fascination with light barrels. Shooters do. The lighter the gun the easier it is to carry. Whatever. I lug 10lb rifles around quite happily. If the average shooter had a the correct weight rig for the caliber and got FIT they would do a lot better IMHO.

You got the fascination with lighter rifles correct there Jeff. I remember as a teen reading....whew back in the early '80's, about the need for lighter rifles, due to carrying them up and down the mountains hunting for elk and mulies.
Seems like IIRC, just about every gun rag I read, there was a clamore and article after article of lighter rifles were easier to carry out in the field. Article after article of the trade of harsher recoil was the trade off for a lighter rifle than you could carry all day and not wear yourself out after a full day in the field.

runfiverun
05-08-2013, 11:49 AM
that was also about the time day packs with a weeks worth of stuff in them became more in vogue.
so the weight was just shifted elsewhere.

Boerrancher
05-08-2013, 01:06 PM
I spent nearly 20 years lugging around 80+ lbs of gear ammo and weapon, along with an 80 to 100 lb ruck sack on top of it. I always considered the weight of a 10 lb rifle negligible. I also when I hunt carry as little as possible. I can go a day with out eating or drinking. I always carry a couple ways to make a fire in case of an emergency my rifle and a few extra rounds of ammo. The lighter I can travel the better. I would rather pack a 15 lb rifle that shoots well over a 5 lb rifle that is mediocre.

best wishes
Joe