PDA

View Full Version : Pro Pot 4-20 Clogging

LubeckTech
05-06-2013, 07:08 PM
I have had been using my Lee Pro Pot 4-20 for over a year now with great success but have developed a problem. Used to be I could cast 250 - 500 bullets with an occaisional clogging of the spout but now it clogs every 25 -40 bullits. To get it started again I stick a paperclip up the spout, wiggle it and it starts again. I have dosassembled it and cleaned it thoroughly but the problem persists. Do I need to replace the stopper and/or spout or is there some way I can save them?? I don't see a reason this should be happening and I use a thermometer and cast at around 700 degrees.

DLCTEX
05-06-2013, 08:47 PM
You don't say what alloy is being used. If WW it may be that a bit of zinc has gotten in the alloy. If so, try a known good alloy and see if the problem persists. The addition of pure lead to the alloy can require a higher temp also.

LubeckTech
05-06-2013, 08:56 PM
I have been casting with some recovered range lead I have been buying from a vendor on Ebay. I have been using them for several months with good results. Last week I got some new lead from Screwbolts on this board and will see what happens when I cast some more more boolits over the next couple of days.

LubeckTech
05-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Screwbolt's alloy works Well with no clogging!!
I had not considered the alloy I was using as being the source of the problem as I had used over 200 lbs of it over the past few months without a problem. Lesson learned!!

I hope Screwbolt will resume selling lead soon as he ships very quickly and his lead is top quality.

Inkman
05-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Using prefluxed lead bought online in ingot form, i had clogging problems. When i started melting my own and double fluxing really, really well, my clogging problems went away.

I also never flux in the bottom pour pot and rarely ever let it get below 1/2 full, stirring it with a small ladle and scooping any crud out with a small paint stick.

Works great for me.

Edited to add that i'm in no way knocking the quality of sellers of lead on here or anywhere else. Just thinking that maybe i take a little more time and effort to make sure mine is extra clean before it goes into the Lee pot. Think of it as OCD? Emptied and cleaned mine once and it was a pain. Haven't had to do that since smelting and fluxing range scrap myself.

Al

rainyday
05-08-2013, 04:48 PM
i agree with inkman. some people may not flux or flux good enough. the only time my lee pot ever clogged was from dirty lead. all i use is wheel weight. i now flux all my lead when i get it in, except from 1 person.

Mohillbilly
05-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Fast fix is to put a propane torch to the valve .... Other wise empty and clean the pot and valve ......

Frozone
05-21-2013, 08:10 PM
If it's NOT a little zinc in the melt -

A pot may develop a dust around the bottom over time. It is hard to get this up completely.
When did you last drain the pot? If it's been a long while, drain it down and scrub the inside.

lka
05-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Fast fix is to put a propane torch to the valve .... Other wise empty and clean the pot and valve ......

Lol I do the same thing, have a quick start next to the pot, another thing is to get a flat head and turn the screw back and fourth, maybe add some heat, flux, or just wait a few mins, it always ends up clearing up,,,,

lka
05-21-2013, 08:24 PM
If it's NOT a little zinc in the melt -

A pot may develop a dust around the bottom over time. It is hard to get this up completely.
When did you last drain the pot? If it's been a long while, drain it down and scrub the inside.

This too, I take the rod out, put it in a drill and run it through fine steal wool to clean that part up some..