PDA

View Full Version : Reciever sight?

338RemUltraMag
05-05-2013, 05:00 PM
I have scoured the interweb looking for an answer to my question, so now I will ask here.

I have a pre 64 30-06 and have found that I can not hold a good sight picture with the buckhorn flip up sights and need a reciever peep. I have found that lyman has in current production a model 57 wjs, now for the question. Is this the sight that mounts in the holes on the side of the reciever? I am purchasing a new stock for the rifle so inletting it to fit the sight is fine by me but I just dont want to spend 100 bucks on a sight that will not work. Thanks for the help and yall have a good day!

Josh

frank505
05-06-2013, 03:26 PM
That is the sight utilizing the holes on left side of the reciever. You should not have to inlet the stock, the base of the sight will go over the wood. An aperture sight is the way to go for about all hunting purposes.

phaessler
05-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Beware that all the new (post 2000) Lyman sights are aluminum, not nearly the quality of the older steel models. And for what they cost I would personally spend my money for an alum. WIlliams, or a used steel receiver sight.
Just my opinion..

frank505
05-06-2013, 06:34 PM
me too, lots of them on fleabay. all mine are steel bases and get used

pipehand
05-07-2013, 07:32 AM
338RUM, if you want an older steel sight, I had good dealings with this guy from before internet days

http://garyfellers.com/

He deals in vintage sights and scopes.

Char-Gar
05-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Yes, that is the correct sight. Although many of us prefer older sights with steel bases, the newer aluminum base sights provide excellent service and there is no reason to avoid them.

jlchucker
05-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Beware that all the new (post 2000) Lyman sights are aluminum, not nearly the quality of the older steel models. And for what they cost I would personally spend my money for an alum. WIlliams, or a used steel receiver sight.
Just my opinion..

I agree. I've used both Williams and Lyman receiver sights--albeit all on leverguns, and have discovered that the post-2000 Lyman that I had mounted on one rifle had a somewhat wobbly slide-the piece that holds the arperture. I called Lyman and a lady who answered told me that this was the way they were supposed to be. The old steel sights didn't wobble like that. I hung up wondering whatever happened to brains at Lyman--to design play into a receiver sight. No such problems with the Williams designs.

Char-Gar
05-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Williams receiver sights have always been made from aluminum alloy. The reason there is no play in them is because they utilize lock screws (Foolproof Model) to lock both the windage and elevation down tight. To adjust a Williams requires two different screwdrivers, one for the lock screws and another for the windage and elevation screws. Lyman sights on the other hand are "coin adjustable".

I have both old (steel) and new (alloy) Lyman click adjustable receiver sights and they are equally tight. They do have more play than a Williams because of the design differences.

The sights on my hunting rifles are the old Redfield 102. These are all steel and adjust by loosening screws and sliding the windage and elevations. Not as easy to adjust, but when set and locked down are tough as nails.

338RemUltraMag
05-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all of the replies! I think I will contact the gent in the link for a sight and see what happens.