PDA

View Full Version : Packaging Lead

axman
09-09-2007, 07:28 PM
I am considering selling some pure lead that I have and was wondering the best way to pack 50lbs in the 12x14x3.5 flat rate box and survive the trip to buyers.

The bars are 11.5" long and are triangular cast from 2"x2" angle and average 6lbs a piece. Probably 9 bars to the box.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

kodiak1
09-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Tape the ever living be jeebers out of that box and it should make it.
Ken.

ktw
09-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Pack it so that there can be little or no shifting of the contents.

- tape the ingots together into a solid block
- fill all the remaining empty space in the flat rate box with pieces of corrugated cardboard. Make it a snug fit all the way around.
- tape up the outside of the box in all three directions.

I have shipped 60 to 65 lbs of ingots several times using this method and each box survived the trip in great shape.

-ktw

ron brooks
09-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Use strapping tape with the fiberglass strands in it. It's a lot stronger. As was stated by KTW, make absolutely positive that it can't shift in shipping or else it will beat the boxes to pieces.

Blammer
09-09-2007, 08:27 PM
careful on what tape you use, the post office will only accept clear tape on the outside of the flat rate boxes.

44woody
09-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I use fiber tape on my boxes all the time I tape ti 3 ways around the box I l also use a lot of cardboard as packing if I were sending ingots I would wire them to a wood board that would fit the hole bottom of the flat rate box then fill the rest of the box with something to keep the ingots from shifting if it shifts it can bust open the box and you will lose the product then ask me how I know this the main thing is to keep it from moving :castmine: 44Woody

mike in co
09-09-2007, 10:08 PM
i sell lead. i'm conservative on my shipping limits. i use usps priority for all shipments...and i used to work in priority mail...i know what goes on behind the walls.

assemble the box, 2" clear packaging tape at the length seam on the bottom and up 2-3inches on the sides, then seal the end seams with 2" tape.

i ship aprox 42 lbs per package. tape in a single bundle, wrap bundle in cardboard. 3 layers cardboard in botton of box, then line the rest, layer the top. stuff it full and tight!

wrap length with strapping tape to square the box(only the two end flaps down). now put the frt/rear sides down and two more wraps of strapping tape. go back and seal the top length seam with 2" tape and then the two end seams.

use usps priority with delivery confirmation. if you do this online its 8.95 for both!

mike in co

ron brooks
09-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Man, getting a stgraight answer that all offices will say is correct with the Post office is about as easy as getting one from the IRS. :(

leftiye
09-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Ditto on nylon reinforced tape THREE ways on box- whatever way you don't go, the corners will let loose. I got some yesterday wrapped that way, weight 50 lbs X2 boxes. Both arrived okay. Ditto on immobilizing them with maybe cardboard (protect the box from them). The 1 lb ingots are the worst, they act like small rocks. If you wrap your bigger ingots so they act like one piece it will help too.

mike in co
09-10-2007, 10:39 AM
and use the frb2 instead of the frb1 that you started with.....deeper, shorter . more like a cube...more stable when packed.

Springfield
09-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I ship lots of bullets in the 8.5 x11 Flat rate box. Mine are in styrofoam trays so it isnt as bad as ingots. I wold tape all the ingots together so they don't move, then line the box with another layer of cardboard. Then tape the hell out of the outside of the box. As long as the ingots are in one piece and they are still inside the box it don't matter if the corners are all smashed down. It's not like you can hurt the ingots, they just have to stay together and inside the box.

VTDW
09-10-2007, 11:25 AM
It must be a hassle for the fella but the one I buy from builds a cheap pine box that just fits inside a USPS flate rate box. He uses a staple gun and I love getting stuff from him. And I get a nice box for future use.:drinks:

Dave

leftiye
09-10-2007, 12:54 PM
I never use lead for packaging. NEVER!!!

floodgate
09-10-2007, 12:55 PM
I can sure testify to the fine packaging "mike in co" does; I got two packages from him earlier this month (35 and 45 lbs.), and packages and contents arrived in perfect condition. I have a good relation with the local PO (seven miles down the highway) and want to keep it that way, so asked them just to give me a call when the boxes came in; not to give them to the route delivery person, just leave them where they landed from the delivery truck, and I'll come right down and collect them. They were mightily intrigued at the notion of mailing lead!

BTW, they have NO objection to glass-reinforced strapping tape on PriMail pagkages, or any others, so long as addresses are visible.

floodgate

Gussy
09-10-2007, 01:09 PM
On heavy cartons, I glue the flaps and put another layer, glued, on the side seam. Then I fully tape the seams both ways. Also pack so there is NO shifting of the contents.
Gus