PDA

View Full Version : Gander Mtn - Your neighborhood handcannon store?

DougGuy
05-04-2013, 11:45 PM
I went into the Gander Mountain store in Cary, NC this afternoon, the handgun shelves were stocked end to end with no apparent shortages of any of their stock.

To be honest, I saw more howitzer sized hand cannons than I could imagine! Raging Judge? Gimme a break. Looks like designer guns made for guys who take a 4WD truck, put a 12" lift kit and 33" mudders, 4" exhaust, 6 shocks per wheel, brushguards all the way around and never drive the thing through so much as a mud puddle. Not that there's really anything wrong with that, but what do you do with a gun that makes a 500 S&W Magnum look like a .38?

They were right proud of the fact that they had handgun ammo in stock, and they let you know how proud when you see the prices.

quilbilly
05-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Whatever floats your boat is my philosophy. Just keep shooting.

runfiverun
05-05-2013, 02:14 AM
when that's all you can get that's what you put out.

41 mag fan
05-05-2013, 09:24 AM
I go to Gander Mtn when I'm needing a good laugh for the day. Just like the sporting goods dept in Walmart. They at least ask me if I need help, I tell them no, just came back here to get a good laugh.

Charlie Two Tracks
05-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Supply and demand. Look at what we pay for a bottle of water and it's just water. Nothing special about it, but we pay over a dollar a bottle.

schutzen
05-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Charlie, It is not just water! It is a great example of American inginuity.

Disanti - bottled water by Coke-Cola Corp. Coke-Cola and all other beverage bottlers have to wash all bottles before they fill them with there product. This generates huge amounts of waste water for which they are charged a disposial fee (contaminated waste water - soap). A Coke-Cola engineer noticed the bottled water market and developed a solution. Coke filters and purifies thier waste water, bottles it, and generously sells it to the American public for only a $1.00 per 12 oz. bottle.

Guys, that engineer is my hero!

PS. Please forgive any speeling errors in this post. My spell checker is down.

alrighty
05-05-2013, 10:05 AM
I just found that our local Gander Mountain is a retailer for the Magnum Research BFR revolvers.I am glad to see some items showing back up on shelves.
Had a local gun show this weekend.Not much reloading supplies but their never is.One guy had several bricks of Armsport match .22 AT $125.00/ Brick.He would drop the price down to $100.00 if you bought four or more.

Boerrancher
05-05-2013, 11:04 AM
I noticed things starting to get back to normal with guns at least. The local wally world has AR's back in stock, and some of the gun shops are starting to get in a few guns, primers, powder, bullets, and ammo are still harder to find than hair on a frog.

Best wishes,

Joe

DougGuy
05-05-2013, 11:45 AM
I just found that our local Gander Mountain is a retailer for the Magnum Research BFR revolvers.

Those were probably the best bang for the buck in the firearms section. For a revolver of that strength at just over $1k I thought they were quite a bargain compared to the rest of the stock they had.

I bet there were close to 20 revolvers there with cylinders that exceeded 3" in length.

LUBEDUDE
05-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Even before the panic, you'd go to our GM and there'd be a dozen cars in the parking lot and few people buying anything. Our GM is the sorriest managed/marketed poor excuse for a big box outdoor store.

Then you go next door to Academy. There 75-100 cars in the parking lot. Everyone coming out the door has a bag. Granted they have sporting goods. But you go to the gun and hunting section and shopping baskets have items in them and people are buying guns and ammo at fair prices.

I don't see how GM can stay in business much longer.

MtGun44
05-05-2013, 12:41 PM
More guns but the prices are way crazy in most cases. I saw a run of the mill
AR (did not look closely) and it was $1100. This does not meet my definition of
"back to normal"

Makes me sorry I sold several when the prices were low.

Bill

41 mag fan
05-05-2013, 12:56 PM
I don't see how GM can stay in business much longer.

Mostly I'd think their biggest revenue comes from the fishing and camping sections. IIRC the fishing selection and prices are about the normal.
I can't see how they can stay in business any other way.

The GM we have just 25 miles from us, quit selling reloading supplies several years ago. But they were proud of their prices, I'd only buy using my rewards I earned from the GM CC I had back then.
But same thing as was posted, there'd be 25-50 cars in the parking lot, but only a handful buying. Doesn't make sense how they can stay in business. To get anyone to help you, is like pulling teeth. Sometimes my luck at winning the lottery is better odds than getting someone to wait on me there.

LUBEDUDE
05-05-2013, 01:11 PM
41 mag - you're right about gettting help. My Dad and I were looking hard at gun safes and had questions. Meanwhile, 2-3 employess, 50 feet away were playing grab-A$$.

I was in retail for 13 years. When I started, I was trained to keep my eyes on the customer at all times and jump on them like a hawk if it even looked like they had a question or needed help.

These employees today just want to put in their time and get their check.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Various observations above as to why GM is AGAIN in retrenchment stage. This ain't their first rodeo.....kind of like JCP's case of business aids. You can take medicine for physical ills, but not for business stupidity.

xs11jack
05-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Hey guys, be careful bad mouthing the Tarus Judge, my wife wants one real bad. I have no idea what she will do with it. To big to conceal and heavy for a 5'2" lady. Maybe it is a just a "mines bigger than yours" thing in her circle of lady friends.
Jack

Bad Water Bill
05-06-2013, 03:55 AM
Just a few years ago I would order from the MIMEOGRAPHED 5 or 6 page catalog when they were located next to the ski slope where i played. :bigsmyl2:

Now I have 3-4 that I have visited over the last 8-10 years.

The ONLY one I would ever think pf visiting AGAIN is over 300 miles away.

In my area finding a salesperson at G M is as easy as finding a 10# nugget of .999 gold in my garden. One that really wants to help is 2 X as hard to find.

Sorry but Cabelas is now 6 miles away and there are plenty of smart folks working and willing to go the extra mile to make me happy.

Guess where my money goes?

WILCO
05-06-2013, 11:47 AM
PS. Please forgive any speeling errors in this post. My spell checker is down.

Open a microsoft word doc and put your post through spell check that way. :)

starmac
05-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Gander mountain is the ONLY place I have found frog togg caps. I haven't even found anyone else that would order them, even though they handle frog toggs.

TheGrimReaper
05-06-2013, 02:17 PM
even before the panic, you'd go to our gm and there'd be a dozen cars in the parking lot and few people buying anything. Our gm is the sorriest managed/marketed poor excuse for a big box outdoor store.

Then you go next door to academy. There 75-100 cars in the parking lot. Everyone coming out the door has a bag. Granted they have sporting goods. But you go to the gun and hunting section and shopping baskets have items in them and people are buying guns and ammo at fair prices.

I don't see how gm can stay in business much longer.

amen!!!

Tom W.
05-06-2013, 03:44 PM
I went to the one that was just built near here in Auburn, Al. and almost choked just looking at the prices....

Phoenix
05-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Around here, guns and ARs are plentiful. Components are even more non-existent than in January. In January I could still get shotgun powder, black powder substitutes. Occasional primers. Now, NOTHING. no black, pyrodex, triple seven, no smokeless of any kind, not primers not even BP caps, or 209s. Bullets are more available than January but not by much. Brass is about the same. I talked to some people I deal with regularly. They said all the powder in stock was gone the next day after Boston. It took weeks after Sandy Hook. GUns are available, ammo is rare. components are non-existent.