PDA

View Full Version : My first casting - Lyman 2 Cavity # 225646 DC - tips and advice

mookiie
05-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Hello everyone, new to casting been melting lead and linotype all week and I am about to try my first cast with a Lyman 2 Cavity # 225646 DC mould for 223 rem. If anyone can give me any tips I shoud try and keep in mind I would appreciate it! I will be using Linotype from old printer blocks. It should be around a bhn of around 22. Not sure what diameter to lube size them too so suggestions woukd be great!

runfiverun
05-04-2013, 07:46 PM
get the mold hot before you start.
I doubt you need them anywhere near as hard as monotype blocks.
but 225 is probably good enough.

MT Chambers
05-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Use a hotplate to preheat that mold or you'll be casting forever trying to get the heat up and get rid of wrinkles(on your bullets).

dromia
05-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Yep run things hotter than normal.

Slug your bore to know your groove diameter so that you know what to size to, either groove or 1 thou over groove.

FLHTC
05-05-2013, 05:20 AM
I shoot 22s as cast and after having the mould rest on the pot for a minute, i get perfect bullets. i use a release agent too

leeggen
05-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Just done my first casting friday. Followed all the advise on here and everything went great. Cast 32 cal 93gr boolits first,produced 98 good out of 106. Then ran my 40 cal 145 gr. mold for 198 out of 210. Preheat molds get lead to proper pooring temp. for your lead type. Both molds are lee aluminum. I used gas to melt lead and preheat the molds, just had to turn molds alum. down faceing to preheat. seemed they didn't heat good with the spru cutter downward. Didn't expect such good results first time doing this but glad I followed all the advice. Thanks to all the Cast Boolit gang.
CD

mookiie
05-08-2013, 01:08 PM
FLHTC - what release agent do you use? Also when you say you shoot them "as cast" are you saying you do not run them through a sizing die? I rested the mold on the pot and have been able to get the mold to the right temp (thanks!), but the bullets stick in the mold so bad I have to whack it with a wood block several times before they drop out.

Ohh **** - the spur plate screw snapped in half while I was trying to knock out some bullets! I called Lyman and they will replace it but it will take at least a month to get it back :(. I hope one of my other molds arrive soon.

dromia
05-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Release agent?

Rattus58
05-11-2013, 02:00 AM
Hello everyone, new to casting been melting lead and linotype all week and I am about to try my first cast with a Lyman 2 Cavity # 225646 DC mould for 223 rem. If anyone can give me any tips I shoud try and keep in mind I would appreciate it! I will be using Linotype from old printer blocks. It should be around a bhn of around 22. Not sure what diameter to lube size them too so suggestions woukd be great!

Does anyone know if you can use this bullet for hunting

Larry Gibson
05-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Of course that bullet "can" be used for "hunting". "Hunting" what is the question.........

Larry Gibson

Rattus58
05-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Of course that bullet "can" be used for "hunting". "Hunting" what is the question.........

Larry Gibson

I can use a fmj or solid for hunting too... But most people in the know suggest that it is not advisable and here in Hawaii, in hunting areas, it is illegal. I was introduced to a winchester bullet two weeks ago that is awesome... however... since I prefer to cast my own and since I can't seem to find too many options for the .223 is the reason for my question... I bought this very same mold last night and all I could see about it is... "great for target shooting...!"