PDA

View Full Version : Lee 309-180-R

41 mag fan
05-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Has anyone tried this mold thru their 300AAC ?
Having trouble getting bolt to fully close and was wondering if the ogive was to big on it.
That and to seat it past the lube grooves, it's seated past the neck.
Thanks to all who can pass along some info.

hylander
05-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Did you measure OCL with this bullet in your rifle before making a loaded round ?

41 mag fan
05-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Did you measure OCL with this bullet in your rifle before making a loaded round ?

No loaded rounds made, been making up dummy rounds trying to find the perfect length that will cycle. OAL, I'm guessing is same as OCL, is within specs

hylander
05-05-2013, 02:18 PM
No loaded rounds made, been making up dummy rounds trying to find the perfect length that will cycle. OAL, I'm guessing is same as OCL, is within specs

Check OCL with just a bullet, not a dummy round so you know excactly where the ogive touches the lands.
You can do this in a couple minutes with a cleaning rod and tape. Let me know if you need pics and desciption.
From there you can make up a dummy round and see where the bullet needs to seat to function correct.

41 mag fan
05-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Yes if you would be so kind, a pics and description would be quite helpful. I have an idea of what you're meaning but not totally for sure.
Plus this would be an excellent resource for someone else in the future.
Thank You for your help with this Hylander, I immensely appreciate it.

hylander
05-05-2013, 08:28 PM
First make sure the rifle is Unloaded.
Next Close the bolt on an empty chamber, take a cleaning rod with a flat blunt tip.
Run the rod down the bore until it is rested on the bolt face.
Now carefully take a peice of masking tape and wrap it around the rod at the muzzle so the tape is right even with the muzzle.
Now remove the bolt and hold the rifle with muzzle down and take the bullet you will be loading and drop it into the chamber.
Next take a small wood dowel and push it into the chamber to lightly hold the bullet touching the lands.
Again take the cleaning rod and run it down the muzzle until it touches the bullet tip.
Now take another peice of tape and again wrap it around the rod flush at the muzzle.
Now remove the rod and measure the distance between the two peices of tape, this will give you tour OCL just touching the lands. From there you can back off or go into the lands depending on the outcome you seek.

41 mag fan
05-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks Hylander! That piece of info needs to be made a sticky if it's not already.
Thank You again.

Jupiter7
05-06-2013, 11:03 AM
I've seen it used on one of the 300blk forums. Don't be afraid to seat deep and work up. Many bullets being used seat below case neck a good bit.

41 mag fan
05-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Wouldn't happen to know off hand, how deep they were seating by chance?
What I found when seating up to where what'd be considered the crimping groove was, my CMMG was not cycling fully and the nose was hitting and was gouged and distorted when I ejected it.

I then after trying about 5 different depths, went to a Sierra 180gr and seated it out to 2.140, and it worked perfectly, cycled perfectly, with no visual signs of the nose getting hit.

Jupiter7
05-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Wouldn't happen to know off hand, how deep they were seating by chance?
What I found when seating up to where what'd be considered the crimping groove was, my CMMG was not cycling fully and the nose was hitting and was gouged and distorted when I ejected it.

I then after trying about 5 different depths, went to a Sierra 180gr and seated it out to 2.140, and it worked perfectly, cycled perfectly, with no visual signs of the nose getting hit.

Offhand, I don't. Depending on powder charge and bullet style it varies greatly. My subs are almost as far past the neck as the neck is deep. 147gr fmj's seat about even with start of the boattail, complete taper of tail is below the neck. I load a 170 RNFP where bottom lube groove is even with bottom of case neck, whole gas check shank is below, COAL- 1.91".

What powder you plan on using?

41 mag fan
05-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Looking at H110 and Lil Gun, to start. Right now, I'm just trying to get it set to where they cycle. I've got to have ACL surgery here soon, and figure I'll have plenty of time to play coming up.

Jupiter7
05-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Looking at H110 and Lil Gun, to start. Right now, I'm just trying to get it set to where they cycle. I've got to have ACL surgery here soon, and figure I'll have plenty of time to play coming up.

Lil gun for the heavies seems to work better, for me. I use unique, lil gun and h110. H110 for 110&125gr jacketed loads. Unique in subsonic bolt gun loads. For reference, I load 10.2grs lil gun under accurate31-240E(245gr plain Base), this was minimum charge that would cycle a 10" AR pistol with .095" gas port. Have you shot any jacketed supers yet? Cycle, function if so? I assume you're shooting a carbine length gas system in a 16" barrel?

I dont shoot cast in my 16" 300blk AR, yet...

41 mag fan
05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Yes...16" barrel in a CMMG Wasp, 1:8 twist.
Haven't shot any thru it yet. Been playing with getting brass done, and getting molds, in between work and medical leave.
Thought about going jacketed, but was waiting for the craziness to subside some before ordering from Hi-Tech. I did load a dummy round using a Sierra 180gr but it was to help with referencing a length that would cycle.

Barrel slugged out at .308, so I have some .310 and .309's sized at this time.
Going to try what Hylander posted to see if that'll work, by loading out. Loading to the crimp groove, besides seating below the neck, also jammed when trying to cycle. So I loaded some out longer and bolt wouldn't cycle fully.
So it's back to square one and will keep trying dummy rounds till I find it wont cycle period or till I find that sweet spot.
Almost wish I had a bolt gun in this caliber Jupiter!

41 mag fan
05-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Well here's what i got so far. I'm thinking it's the nose profile causing the problem. I did my OCL out to 2.012, I hope I did it correct. By the pics posted, I did do it correct, except I used my cast, not a jacketed bullet. I might have to go do one using a jacketed.

But each one of various lengths I loaded up, showed where rifling was engaging the nose. But heres a pic of what I dummy loaded and a pic of the cast.
My lengths are from left to right:
2.150, 2.112, 2.065, 2.012, 1.990

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/91msd92/Photo05061244_zps63beff11.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/91msd92/media/Photo05061244_zps63beff11.jpg.html)

Taking the 1.990 dummy round and loading it into my CMMG, this is what i get when I try cycling it. As you can see the bolt will not close fully. Wish I could get a better pic of the rifling marks on the nose.
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/91msd92/Photo05061245_zpsa90be461.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/91msd92/media/Photo05061245_zpsa90be461.jpg.html)

Sorry for the blurry pics, camera on my ph is not the greatest.