PDA

View Full Version : First casting today

Glock Junkie
05-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Finally got to cast my first boolits today. I need a thermometer! Some came out like I wanted and some didn't. I know my biggest issue was temp. My boolits wanted to stick in my mold, what causes that? Is there something I should be doing to prevent the sticking? I'm using a Lee 6 cavity and a Lee 4-20 pot. I had fun but need to work out a few issues.

So next week I'm getting a thermometer, hot plate and some tin. I also need to figure out my sticking issue.

Thank you to all that have helped me get this far! Without y'all I wouldn't have the supplies or the knowledge to cast. Thank You!!!

41 mag fan
05-04-2013, 06:36 PM
The sticking is and could be from several things.
I'd try leementing the mold first. Lees are notorious for sticking.
Take a look in the stickies for "Leementing".
Also, check the mold under a magnifier for burrs.
Lees are made cheap, even though the 6 bangers are better than the 2 or 1 cav molds. Burrs could be the cause of them sticking, which leementing will help fix and so will an exacto knife to knock off the burrs.
Another issue is how hot your mold and pot is.
Thermometer is pertinent for this, but not a total necessity. I myself, wont cast without one.
But if your mold or melt is too hot, it wont allow the minimal boolit shrinkage needed to release and fall from the mold.

glicerin
05-04-2013, 06:57 PM
I have 3 lee 6 bangers, including a .40 which looks like yours. Preheat mold on top of furnace while melting lead, then immerse corner for 60 seconds, then immerse corner of sprue another 10 seconds. Works for me, good bullets almost right away and no sticking. I always have minimum 1% tin. good luck

Glock Junkie
05-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Looked at my mold and I don't see any burrs but I could be missing them. I tried smoking the mold with a match and it seemed to help a little but it still sticks. I lowered my pot temp and the castings are nice and shinny and no wrinkles. A setting of 4 1/2 on my Lee pot seems to be the best temp.

If I can correct this sticking problem I will be having some fun making some boolits! I have read a few tips and will give then a try tomorrow and c if I can correct this sticking issue.

OnHoPr
05-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Those look like pretty good boolits to me for your first time.

Jailer
05-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Your mold is too cold. Try pre heating it a bit more and they should fall free once the mold is up to the proper temp.

hickfu
05-05-2013, 01:05 AM
When mine stick I use a little brass brush and run it across and through the cavities. Brass will not hurt or mark Aluminum so if it has any tiny burrs it may help to get rid of them. Just my .02

If you are having an issue with the mold seeming to stick and not open then your mold is not hot enough.

Doc