PDA

View Full Version : How soon can I check?

oldfart1956
05-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Fellers I did a search in the gas-check forum and couldn't find the answer so figgered I'd ask here. Due to the generousity of Dragonrider I now have some Hornady checks to try on the 300gr. Lee boolits. Thank you Dragonrider! I'm working tonight and will be casting the boolits by sunrise Saturday and was wondering if it's better to wait a period of time before checking. I presume I could waterdrop and avoid the wait but some of these boolits are going to a friend here and he might prefer some expansion....which the waterdropping might negate. The alloy is Lyman #2 and I know they can git right smart hard when waterdropped. I've ran a couple of the boolits I had cast a while ago thru the Lee sizer base first and the checks seat perfectly. Thought I'd better ask before I bugger anything up. Many thanks in advance. Audie...the Oldfart..

Tatume
05-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Hi Audie,

In my experience, bullets that are sized immediately after casting do not "spring back" as much as bullets that have been left to mature for a week first. Bullets that are sized the same day as casting will be about 0.001" smaller than bullets from the same batch that are sized a week later. So the answer depends on what size suits your chamber throats. Try them both ways and decide for yourself.

Take care, Tom

oldfart1956
05-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks Tom!