PDA

View Full Version : lead VS lube after they have gotten to know each other.

bgoff_ak
05-03-2013, 02:26 AM
So here’s my 64,000 dollar question does orientation have any direct correlation to lube and powder kill. IE I live in Alaska and the winter is when I shoot less and cast more. This year I have made my own lube using the old NRA formula ( seems to work ok, but its been cool ) my ammunition is stored bullet down and not just tossed into an ammo can. Does this mean that gravity would pull the oil down should it migrate ? I have read about some people putting a wad in of blue sil-seal in the case. Would this elevate the powder enough to avoid contamination? The truth is I’ve never had a problem but I’d like not to have cast and loaded thousands of rounds to have them be nothing more then Chinese noise makers. My hard lubes did not seem to ever migrate, but didn’t do as well of a job ( to be fair no soft lube has migrated yet either ) .

btroj
05-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Keep it cool and dry and stop worrying.
I wouldn't put a wad of anything in loaded ammo to prevent oil decontamination from lube. I just use lubes that don't have that issue and don't store my ammo in hot spots.

I use lubes as soft as NRaa50/50 and just store them in a jumbled mass in a box. I don't lose sleep at night at all. They all go boom just fine.

45-70 Chevroner
05-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I live in Arizona. 29 years in the Phoenix area 115*+ in the summer. If there was going to be any migration of lube it would happen in that temp and I use soft home made lube. I had ammo stored for several years at a time and no problems. Don't worry yourself it will make a bad shooter out of you[smilie=s:.

DLCTEX
05-03-2013, 10:42 AM
I live in the panhandle of Texas and last week shot some ammo with boolits I cast and loaded in '05 . The ammo has been stored in my garage for two years, then moved to my reloading room where it is more climate controlled. No migration of the 50/50 NRA lube in any of it.

bgoff_ak
05-03-2013, 02:39 PM
I know what you mean, when I first started casting years ago i just had a cast iron pot, cook stove and a ladle. lead fell from the mold like rain from the sky. I didn't know about sorting WW, didn't look at the pot temp and every bit of lube was the same as any other. They say that ignorance is bliss and it was, hell i didn't even size'em. almost every single one of those hit the steel plate. life was simple click bang was good click psssst was bad. I agree some times over thinking things means you’re not casting. I’ve seen where people want to start by reading every form post and then buying lead. I was lucky to have started ladling before reading the entire internet because it is true, you can read all day about pounding a nail into a board... but sometimes you just need to go do it. ( unlike a nail, you can always toss the uglys back into the pot ). Thanks all for your input / thoughts.