PDA

View Full Version : Good results with first casting/loading

DLCTEX
05-02-2013, 10:35 PM
I bought the Lee 429-210 RF two cav.(it was the only one in stock) and had to enlarge it a bit. I like the new style Lee is doing. I sized them .430 and lubed them with Ben's Red. I loaded some today and tested them in my friends new Super Blackhawk with 10 1/2 in barrel. I chose 231 powder and started at 7 gr. This was pretty mild and should have been about 950 fps, shot a little to the left of POA. I increased the load to 7.4 gr. and it speaks with a little more authority, but still a fun load to shoot. This load shoots just a bit to the right of POA. The sights are adjustable, but we haven't really found out where it shoots with factory ammo. I don't care for the pointed corners of the trigger guard with hot loads. I will have to chrono this load when the wind is not howling and see if the long barrel beats the 1050 fps. the book says it will do. With 30 rounds fired I see no signs of leading using ACWW.
I also made him some shot loads for snakes as he shot one this weekend but wasn't sure if he killed it with the bullet or all the gravel that flew. Hopefully we can get it tested more this weekend.

runfiverun
05-03-2013, 02:16 AM
nice.
sometimes those lighter boolits are just plain fun to shoot.

MtGun44
05-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Great news. Nice when it comes together, isn't it?

:bigsmyl2:

Bill

cbrick
05-03-2013, 08:05 PM
I don't care for the pointed corners of the trigger guard with hot loads.

Pachmeyer grips and you'll never know it's the same gun, an amazing difference even with the hottest loads.

Rick