PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 224450 @ Garage/Estate Sale

Mark85304
05-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Well, my scrounging finally paid off. I happened to run across a garage/estate sale that had a lot of antique radios and radio related stuff. While I was browsing through one of the boxes of wires and electronic parts, I spotted a familiar orange box. It was a Lyman bullet mould box. When I opened it up I found a mould packed in grease and wrapped in plastic wrap. It is in good shape and has the numbers 224450 on the side. I did not see any other casting, reloading, or shooting stuff though.

SCORE!

I asked how much?
He asked "what is it?".
"A lead bullet mould for a .22 caliber" I said.
"Twenty Bucks" he said.
"I'll take it, but it's worth more" I said.

I then found an old Hallifcafter S-40 short wave receiver for $30 (great price) and it works. I'm going back tomorrow and spend some time going through other boxes and to check out the 30" dial caliper gauge I saw.

colt1960
05-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Sounds like one heck of a score for you. Even us unlucky ones hit good every once in a while. I see you live in glendale. I lived in maryville as a kid back on the early 70's. Good luck with your new toys. Rick!

fcvan
05-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Mark, double score! I picked up an old Kenwood receiver at a garage sale for the same price. Good stuff the old stuff. Sometimes you get very lucky. Btw, got my ticket in 99, topped off to extra in '02. 73s, W6FCV

Mark85304
05-03-2013, 01:15 AM
No-Code Tech in 93, Advanced & Extra with code later. KJ7BS

I've been trying to figure out how to marry shooting and amateur radio hobbies, but having trouble doing so. Although I do take my 2m HT with me when predator hunting. :D

Mark, double score! I picked up an old Kenwood receiver at a garage sale for the same price. Good stuff the old stuff. Sometimes you get very lucky. Btw, got my ticket in 99, topped off to extra in '02. 73s, W6FCV

fcvan
05-03-2013, 01:34 AM
I know they don't require code anymore but I still think it is essential. Do I practice it enough? not really, but I'm working on it. My brother, W6JLV and I got into this as another hobby to share. Our first goal was to be able to keep in touch withe each other from the CA/OR border to Santa Barbara county when either of us were visiting to folks. Radio is just fun.

Nowadays, we are working on being able to yack between Colorado and the CA/OR border and parts in between while I travel back and forth. Of late, I have been playing with QRP and pushing that envelope. The next thing will be using digital modes QRP to stay in touch while in base camp.

As far as different discussion nets, I am certain there are HAM nets that focus on 2A and 10A issues, and certainly on outright patriotism. Of course, folks are keeping their comments close to the vest as the airwaves are regulated and each operator is required to ID themselves. I am under no allusion that the internet is anonymous, I worked in Law Enforcement way to long for that. The folks with black helicopters already have the means to connect the zeroes and ones of the binary world to ID everyone rather quickly. In my opinion, I haven't seen anything posted here that couldn't be discussed on HF. Well, except some language and off humor stuff. I even hear that from time to time on HF.

I am sure there is room for reloading/shooting/competition type discussion in some HAM net venue. I just don't think the depth and breadth of the discussion would be able to compare with the shear volume of members and topics here. It would be nice to chew the rag with other Cast Boolit members whenever. Maybe we should start a discussion in 'our town' and canvas for other HAM operators, and start up a net. What say Ye?