PDA

View Full Version : Rolling my own ready to start

Atlast357
05-02-2013, 03:24 PM
:veryconfu A lot of do it yourself stuff within the pages of this forum.
I jumped in this hobby at a very peculiar time, however at my age I
won't wait for the smooth water to set my sails. In a storm one learns
very quickly or else............
Currently I load black powder percussion revolvers so I have the "which end to pour the
powder, and seat the projectile and primer" down pretty good .:-|. Now on to brass to contain the components.
I like simplicity, no mass volume ammo needed and all the time in the world to load em up.
I have a Lee press and two sets of dies on order due sometime in the year 2013.:mad:
I will be looking at casting, but in the meantime will buy projectiles powder and primers, got brass
now.
Any basic......... I mean basic methods you all might throw my way ?

uscra112
05-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Buy the Lyman Handbook, first of all.

http://www.brownells.com/books-videos/books/reloading-manuals/lyman-49th-edition-reloading-handbook-softcover-sku749003524-35372-67231.aspx

Get the hard cover. You will wear it out anyway.

Look at their web-site Introduction, too: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/presses-and-kits/pdf/IntroToReloading.pdf

Do agree that you learn metallic reloading before learning casting. One step at a time, as it were.

Brass prep is more than half the battle in cartridge reloading.

No harm in simplicity. My old Dad loaded .35 Remington with only some no-name hand tools and a mallet, (no press) for years when I were a sprout. I was well into my 30s when I noticed that he'd been able justify a used Lyman Junior press to mother.

mdi
05-03-2013, 12:04 PM
I just got my second Lyman Reloading Handbook 'cause I wore the first one out and mebbe there's something new inside (I have a 48th and just got the 49th Edition). It'll give you an idea of how to reload rifle and handgun cartridges, and also info on bullet casting, and all the equipment you'll need to produce safe, accurate ammo..

I'd suggest a single stage press to start with so you can learn each step's "whys and wherefores"; how each step/operation is done and why. Read as much as you can from as many different sources as you can find, The ABCs of Reloading is a good read too. Most reloading forums have a "How do I get started?" sticky with tons of opinions on how to start. I started with a Lee loader and the only literature I had was the instruction sheet, it was pre-web. It didn't take me long to hit a library to get more info!

I would say; use common sense, keep the KISS principle working and you'll have no trouble getting started in one of the most satisfying aspects of shooting available...

For casting simple is good! I started with a 2 qt. stainless steel pot, a Coleman stove, a Lee mold and dipper, and some kitchen stuff. I had access to a lot of wheel weights so lead wasn't an issue. I fluxed with sawdust and stirred with a wooden stick. I had the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook to help me along, and a lot of practice. I shot the bullets as cast, no sizing, 'cause I was using Lee's tumble lube style bullets for my .44 Magnums. I soon went with a Lee bottom pour and push through sizing dies, and I do a lot of pan and tumble lubing (see the Boolit Lube section). I've grown from that one mold to 9 molds in 3 calibers and cast and shoot 99% lead bullets in all my guns. I'm a KISS kinda guy and don't have any need for a lubersizer as I'm in no hurry and don't have a quota.

Atlast357
05-04-2013, 10:54 AM
KISS is what I'm about. Yes getting a Lee single stage press first.
Rather than a full manual, thinking the online date provided by major powder
makers should get me started.
45acp and 38 spl pistol ,are the only two reloads............... for now.

Case Stuffer
05-04-2013, 11:04 AM

A good reloading manual has a lot more than just load (powde,bullet,primer , pressure ,est. velocity) data. Much of what is posted on most forums and U Tube videos is not all that accurate. Do yourself a big favor and purchase at least one reloding manual and several are even better. Tere ar numerious post here weekly such as , I have (enter a name here) loading manual but it does not have any data for such and such cast bullet ,what is a good load?

ku4hx
05-04-2013, 11:06 AM
thinking the online date provided by major powder

There's a great deal more to it than just proper charge data ... a LOT more. Do yourself a favor and get the manual.

I've been spinning around ol' Sol for about 24,000 days and been hand loading and casting for going on 16,000 of those days. Over those approximately 16,000 days I've accumulate a dozen or so hard copy manuals and I wish I'd bought more. Actually, I'm planning on doing just that in the near term. For one thing, I simply enjoy the reading.

runfiverun
05-04-2013, 11:09 AM
there are some manuals that are a huuuge help.
the abc's of reloading is a very good beginners reference.
it is simple to follow and understand.
it goes through the step by steps of resizing, priming, seating and crimping.
most die sets have instructions for setting them up in a press and those are worth your time to read.
the basic mechanics of reloading are simple, take your black powder loading and add a case.
the case needs resized and primed that is the difference.
however [and there is always a however] unlike black powder filling the same cylinder over and over without change.
the case does change and is what causes the most problems.

cbrick
05-04-2013, 11:22 AM

Houston we have a problem.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get a few different manuals. I've been loading & casting for decades, I have a floor to ceiling 3 foot wide book case in my loading room and two shelves are full of manuals. I couldn't/wouldn't do without them. There is far more info than load data.

Another valuable book on casting is From Ingot To Target (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf) available free at that link. Aside from valuable info on every page it's a really good read, I suggest downloading and printing it, it will become a valuable part of your library.

If your going to pursue this hobby you just can't have too many manuals.

Rick

mdi
05-04-2013, 12:02 PM
For a new reloader, the "How to" sections of manuals is way more important than the load data. You need to know what to do, how to do it, when to do it, and why. Can't get that from a powder manufacturer's website...

429421Cowboy
05-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Yep what everybody has said already, it works the other way around. First, you buy a manual(s) and learn how to load, and get a feel for what seems reasonable, that way if you find incorrect data (typos happen) you can step back and say whoa. THEN you can use the powder or bullet manufacurers reloading guides which only give data, not how to load. Also, their data is often very limited, Alliant lists something like one or two loads with Unique for each powder, when in reality, there are literally thousands of loads for that powder and your desired round is more likely to fall into that area, than the 1-2 loads shown. So there are some big gaps you don't want to jump just starting out.

nagantguy
05-04-2013, 01:51 PM
To sound like a broken record, get a manual then get another and when your done reading those get another and some note books. Then reread them and take notes like your life depended on it. Then and only then start rolling your own and. Come here with further questions. Good luck and God bless.

MtGun44
05-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Please -

STOP. Read a few good loading manuals, like Lyman or ABC of Reloading, or the
Hodgdon big manual. You really need to get a good intro to all the concepts,
with the proper safety messages built in at the correct time.

Stay away from YouTube until you know enough to be able to tell if the video
is made by an idiot that will hurt you or something with safe, good ideas.

Bill

Atlast357
05-04-2013, 11:41 PM
There's a great deal more to it than just proper charge data ... a LOT more. Do yourself a favor and get the manual.

I've been spinning around ol' Sol for about 24,000 days and been hand loading and casting for going on 16,000 of those days. Over those approximately 16,000 days I've accumulate a dozen or so hard copy manuals and I wish I'd bought more. Actually, I'm planning on doing just that in the near term. For one thing, I simply enjoy the reading.
Close to the same orbit my trips are 27,400, but only a very few jamming lead, so I yield to my youngers'
experience.

ku4hx
05-05-2013, 06:34 AM
Close to the same orbit my trips are 27,400, but only a very few jamming lead, so I yield to my youngers'
experience.

:grin: I hear you brother. But it's been a long time since I've been cast into the "younger's" group.

The thing about the manuals is this. Obviously you have an interest in casting and loading and the manuals can be great source of history, tips and techniques, precautions, success stories, not so successful stories and many more things other than technical data. I started loading and casting in the very early '70s (357 Magnum of course) and I still have my original manual (Lyman 44th edition) with notes all through it. Talk about a trip down memory lane. And us old dogs can build memories too.

mdi
05-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Please -

Stay away from YouTube until you know enough to be able to tell if the video
is made by an idiot that will hurt you or something with safe, good ideas.

Bill
Amen...

Atlast357
05-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Amen...
No concern about that,idiots are very easy to identify, I do like the pictures however.
I have been reading this forum for long time to get the feel for what you
guys know. Thanks.