PDA

View Full Version : United Parcel Service

wch
05-02-2013, 02:44 PM
I screwed the pooch and used a box that had "explosives" marked on it, to send to a business. I scratched them out, but when the box got to the UPS hub they rejected the shipment (yep, you're right, I should have known better!).
Anyway, since I used a UPS drop-off point to ship from, I had to resend the parcel today (at a cost of $26.35), so I proceeded to contact UPS to get a refund.
Because I don't have a shipping contract with them, the folks at the drop-off place would have had to jump through the same hoops I did (took about a half hour for no result) and I'm not about to ask them to do that, so I warn all of you-DON'T TRY TO SHIP ANY BOX OR CARTON THAT HAS THE REMNANTS OF A HAZMAT TAG OR WORDING THAT MENTIONS EXPLOSIVES ON IT!]

starmac
05-02-2013, 03:28 PM
lol I truly hope that most here doesn't need this advice. lol

km101
05-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Knowledge is gained through experience, and experience can sometimes be costly.

Goatwhiskers
05-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Knowledge is gained thru experience.
Experience is often gained thru lack of knowledge.
Goatwhiskers the Elder

willie_pete
05-02-2013, 06:09 PM
I just want to know why you have boxes with that particular word on it? :kidding:

WP

TXGunNut
05-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Any repurposed box with any haz-mat markings should either be turned inside out or possibly taped over with brown paper tape. You actually may have gotten off easy in this case.

wch
05-03-2013, 04:58 AM
Any repurposed box with any haz-mat markings should either be turned inside out or possibly taped over with brown paper tape. You actually may have gotten off easy in this case.

Considering the current hysteria, you may be right-however there were no "explosives" of any kind in the box, thus showing "lack of intent".
Lack of good sense, perhaps.
I guess that some prosecutor looking for a headline could have pushed the issue, but it never got to that point

wch
05-03-2013, 05:01 AM
I just want to know why you have boxes with that particular word on it? :kidding:

WP

The box was used by a vendor to ship smokeless powder to my home.

frkelly74
05-03-2013, 05:07 AM
I had a box rejected that had been used to hold quarts of motor oil. They rejected it right at the counter before I paid though.

10-x
05-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Black spray paint is good to cover up "old" printed on info. Had a USPS clerk tell me that all re-purposed boxes should have the printing completely blocked out with paint or stencil ink, not marked through with a magic marker. Never use an old pressure cooker box to ship anything.[smilie=s:

contender1
05-03-2013, 09:21 AM
I just shipped a box with just the normal "MidWay" info on it. I spray painted over that info. No problems.

willie_pete
05-03-2013, 03:44 PM
My smokeless powder comes with a flammable solid label. I wonder why yours is different?

WP

wch
05-03-2013, 04:40 PM
My smokeless powder comes with a flammable solid label. I wonder why yours is different?

WP

There was a "flammable solid" sticker on the box that I carefully peeled off, because, after all, there was no gunpowder-black or smokeless- in the box.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-03-2013, 04:50 PM
never use an old pressure cooker box to ship anything.[smilie=s:

lol :-)

TXGunNut
05-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Considering the current hysteria, you may be right-however there were no "explosives" of any kind in the box, thus showing "lack of intent".
Lack of good sense, perhaps.
I guess that some prosecutor looking for a headline could have pushed the issue, but it never got to that point

Not a criminal issue, haz-mat issue. Anything marked haz-mat must be shipped as haz-mat and handled as haz-mat, even if it's just full of books, golfballs or whatever. Shipping haz-mat properly is no big deal.