PDA

View Full Version : 358430

mainiac
09-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Picked this mold up today as well, at the gun show. Book says its a 200 grain, but with my wheel-weights, its 196.4 av.(thought it would have weighed 210 or so,with WW) Anyway, ill be trying this in a 336 marlin 35 remington. Being that it is a flat base, how fast do you think i can get it going,before i get bad leading? Also, have you fellers shot this bullet, and what is your opinion of it? Been wanting the rcbs 200 gc bullet, but being to tight with the cash, i have to settle for this for now. BTW, got this mold for 20 bucks,along with 2100 primers!!! Bet you fellers cant top thid deal!!!!!! P.S. the base measures .360, middle bands are .359, and top band is .3585, thanks,mark

9.3X62AL
09-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Mark--

I have this same mold design, and it was originally spec'd at 195 grains. My castings in WW run about like yours, 198 grains--Taracorp is about a grain lighter. This mold is one of my first designs, and dates from 1981.

I haven't done any 35 caliber rifle work with these castings, but did cast some of unalloyed lead and wrapped them with paper patches for the 9.3 x 62. They shot VERY WELL, FWIW.

I have used a LOT of these in 357 Magnum revolvers, not quite so many in 38 Specials, and after "Beagling" the mold I ran some through the 38 S&W's. The bullet does GREAT work in the 357, although its nose profile may not be the best for hunting. Its holes in target paper are a little "fuzzy", but not ragged like #358311 or #452374 usually cut. In stout 38 Specials, you might be able to strain 850 FPS from them, but since standard pressures run these boolits at around 720 FPS--be careful. The Beagled boolits weren't quite fat enough to provide stellar accuracy in my 38 S&W revolvers (about .002" undersized), but they shot OK and didn't lead the bore.

onceabull
09-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Mark--- for a while back in the early 70's, I had a Marlin 336-A(24" barrel) ,older one with the ballard rifling. the only "heavy" 35 cal.mould I owned then was the 358430,which was in service for the 357 mag.wheelers. Memory is dim as to specifics ,but best guess is I loaded with #2400 to at or about 1200 fps,to approximate a stout revolver load . Don't recall having any problems ,and impressed someone enough to pry it away from me,which normally takes some doing. Had to pay a good deal more for another rifle like that in 2004, and haven't got another 358430 yet ... should be fun ,and effective on anything you would tackle with a 357 revolver.,enjoy, :) Onceabull :-D

cast-n-blast
09-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Mainiac, With water quenched WW, I have driven the Keith 173 gr. SWC over 2100 fps from my Marlin 336's w/ no leading. Used a styrofoam gas check from a supermarket meat tray. Load was 38.0 grs H335 in 35 Rem. case, WLRP. Good fun load, with the price of gas checks today, a cheap load, also. The 358430 should be able to be driven just as fast, with water quenched WW and the styrofoam checks.

Bret4207
09-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Have same mold intended for duplicating the old 38 Super Police load. I'm betting if you can get it to 1500 in a rifle it'll knock anything within range right over! That profile dictates a range of maybe 75 yards or so. Call it a skinny 38-40. Lotsa critters died by that round.

mainiac
09-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Mainiac, With water quenched WW, I have driven the Keith 173 gr. SWC over 2100 fps from my Marlin 336's w/ no leading. Used a styrofoam gas check from a supermarket meat tray. Load was 38.0 grs H335 in 35 Rem. case, WLRP. Good fun load, with the price of gas checks today, a cheap load, also. The 358430 should be able to be driven just as fast, with water quenched WW and the styrofoam checks.

cast-n-blast, do you think the styrofoam check is neccesary? Havnt never tryed this before. The 335 load must fill the case up pretty well ?

cast-n-blast
09-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Never tried it without the styrofoam. Got this load from one of Paco Kelly's articles. And yes, the 35 Rem. case is pretty full. I champher the case necks inside and out, giving it a sharp edge. Then just punch thru the meat tray. Doesn't take long at all. Accuracy runs 1-1.5 " at 50 yds for 5 shots and 2-2.5" at 100 yds for same. As stated preiously, good, fun, cheap load.

beagle
09-09-2007, 05:48 PM
That's a winner in the .35 Remington. I managed to figure a way to GC them (see castpics) and it makes a shooting load in my Marlin 336.

It also makes a nice .357 Magnum bullet. The .38 Specials are not so good with it as you can't push them fast enough with published loads to get stability past 50 yards. Trajectory is awful in the .38 Special but if you wnat a 25 yard load, they sure hit hard./beagle

mainiac
09-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Well boys and girls, guess what ive been doing this evening? Cleaning 4198 out of my action!!! My, what troubles i get myself into! I loaded some rounds tonight with the 358430, crimped in the groove closest to the nose, and thought for the heck of it,id try cycling a few. Should have made a dummy first! Even as short as this loaded round is, the bullet jammed the rifling,and the lever wouldnt close. Got a problem now houston! Taped the hammer down for safteys sake and really came on that lever. Thought,"what the hell, mights well break the exstractor while im at it!" Luckily didnt break,and when the case came out, EUREKA! poured powder all threw my action!!! Anyways, had to seat these bullets about half way over the first band,and dont they look silly! I dont think this barrell has any throat at all, and upon looking at the ingraved bullet, i dont think has got any leade either! I looked in lymans last book, and they used this bullet in the 35,with 4198 powder, so thats the direction im taking for now. Will report on how it goes. What i really need, is for someone to sell me a 358315, or a rcbs 200,,,,,

Paul B
09-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Try that bullet in a .38 Spl. with 3.5 gr. of Unique. Does a nice job of duplicating that old police load.
Paul B.

beagle
09-09-2007, 08:15 PM
That's one fault of the 358430. You have to seat that band inside the case mouth....at least on mine. It still feeds well and shoots accurately but I know darn well it's protruding down below the case neck.

Next time that happens, pull the cartridge as far out of the chanber as you can. Take a paperclip with a hook bent on the end or a real skinny screwdriver and lift the extractor. This will allow the cartridge to come free and the bolt to go to the rear. Then, it will roll right out. Been there and done that so I know where you're coming from./beagle

Well boys and girls, guess what ive been doing this evening? Cleaning 4198 out of my action!!! My, what troubles i get myself into! I loaded some rounds tonight with the 358430, crimped in the groove closest to the nose, and thought for the heck of it,id try cycling a few. Should have made a dummy first! Even as short as this loaded round is, the bullet jammed the rifling,and the lever wouldnt close. Got a problem now houston! Taped the hammer down for safteys sake and really came on that lever. Thought,"what the hell, mights well break the exstractor while im at it!" Luckily didnt break,and when the case came out, EUREKA! poured powder all threw my action!!! Anyways, had to seat these bullets about half way over the first band,and dont they look silly! I dont think this barrell has any throat at all, and upon looking at the ingraved bullet, i dont think has got any leade either! I looked in lymans last book, and they used this bullet in the 35,with 4198 powder, so thats the direction im taking for now. Will report on how it goes. What i really need, is for someone to sell me a 358315, or a rcbs 200,,,,,