PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 270 SAA problem...............

Steve E
05-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Is the problem of the 270 SAA not wanting to fill out between the boolits in the mold been discussed before? If so can someone please direct me to that thread. My problem is that the boolits are not filling out between each other in the mold. I'm using wheel weight and sometimes wheel weight with a small amount of antimony added and I have tried casting all up and down the scale on heat and it still shows up.

Steve E.............

MtGun44
05-01-2013, 08:16 PM
With a small amount of antimony added??? You should add tin to improve fill
out. Not sure what you mean by "boolits are not filling out between each other
in the mold." This doesn't make sense to me, there should be nothing between
the cavities.

Bill

detox
05-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Ladle pouring will help fill mould better.

Vent grooves may be cut too shallow. Compare vent grooves to another RCBS mould that fills better. RCBS will make it good.

x101airborne
05-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Kinda sounds like a cold mold to me... I dont know for sure, though.

Steve E
05-01-2013, 08:23 PM
OK, to clarify a little, the sides of the boolits facing each other in the mold cavity don't have crisp edges like the rest of the boolits. In other words it's just on the side of the boolits facing each other in the mold so yes there is nothing between the mold cavities but steel.

Steve E..........

detox
05-01-2013, 08:25 PM
I have seen this before in another mould of mine...can't remember which one. Cast just one boollit to see if problem goes away.

Steve E
05-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Mold is not too cold. I thought of that, vent grooves look OK to me but I'm no RCBS Tech. It might have to make a trip home and see what they think about it.

Steve E..........

RickinTN
05-01-2013, 08:58 PM
If it's not filling out on the side toward the other cavity and the edges of the bands are slightly frosted the mold is too hot. The portion of the mold between the two cavities is probably the hottest part of the mold. Slow down on your pace a little, or somehow cool the mold a little and they should start filling out in this area.

detox
05-01-2013, 09:00 PM
If it's not filling out on the side toward the other cavity and the edges of the bands are slightly frosted the mold is too hot. The portion of the mold between the two cavities is probably the hottest part of the mold. Slow down on your pace a little, or somehow cool the mold a little and they should start filling out in this area.

Good thinking........and cast below 700 degrees.

Steve E
05-01-2013, 10:30 PM
I guess I'm running it like my other molds but each mold has its own characteristics. I'll try slowing down a little. I do cast at 700 to 725 degrees. Thanks for the info, I'll see if that helps.

Steve E..........

RobS
05-01-2013, 10:44 PM
IIRC, from straight WW I cast with that mold at 700 degrees and with pinch of tin allowed me to lower the temp to 685 degrees. My casting rhythm is not terribly fast but at a decent pace. My HP mold I have to cast as fast as I can to keep that sucker up to heat.

454PB
05-01-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm with Robs, I recently cast a bunch from that same mould, temperature at 700 degrees, and they came out beautiful.