PDA

View Full Version : Another caster in the group

Jim
05-01-2013, 08:35 AM
I got home yesterday from a five day trip to South Carolina. I went down to visit my best friend and help him get set up and started in casting. He did a little of it many years ago, but admitted he needed some guidance as he had forgotten a lot of it.

Years ago, somebody gave him three half buckets of VERY large truck WWs. We dragged 'em out of the corner and dumped 'em on the floor of his garage to see what we had to work with. He kept tellin' me "Jim, wipe your mouth off, man, you're droolin'."

On a previous trip last fall, I had given him a 8 qt. dutch oven and a high pressure burner that was left over from the range cleaning project I was doing last year. We set it up and smellted all the WWs down to muffin ingots out on the asphalt driveway.

He's got a nice, old Lyman Mag 20 pot and a few 4 banger Lyman molds that he's collected over the years, so we set up the pot, picked out a mold and got at it.

He watched me run off a few and then I put him behind the wheel. He fell right into it.

The mold he chose to start with is a .358 Lyman style Kieth design. The as cast with the straight WWs came out right at 168 grains.

My friend, who goes by 'Riflerev', has been a member here for awhile, but has been lurking the whole time. I've been encouraging him to post and get involved.

I showed him Swede's site and he like to went mashuga when he saw that .452 'fish bowl' hollow point that Swede makes. He told his wife "That hollow point is so big, you could FALL in it!"

I think I got the hook in 'im, guys. Somebody get a net! :bigsmyl2:

EMC45
05-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Well done. Like that bullet profile. A lot like the 358-429.

ALM3kids
05-01-2013, 10:15 AM
The same exact thing happened to from an old Army Buddy from the now closed Ft Ord, CA. He drives a truck and has been at me to stop buying my cast bullets when casting them your self is so much cheaper. I admit I have been bitten by the bug and all these Lyman packages and old molds I have been buying that show up at the house are making her curious. I enjoy the fun of making it your self and not having to wait on the mail before getting the dillons busy cranking out our own ammo!

Sign me hooked and loving it!

oneokie
05-01-2013, 01:09 PM
He told his wife "That hollow point is so big, you could FALL in it!"

Is he still among the living?

Smitty's Retired
05-01-2013, 01:59 PM
That's what it's all about right there. Just have one question Jim. Was you speed timing him sorting the wheel weights? I see you got a timer there!?!?

Trey45
05-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Good looking boolits, especially for his first time. And even with you "helping" him he still managed to get lucky!

:kidding:

JeffinNZ
05-01-2013, 06:12 PM
You're a bad influence Jim. LOL. I need you to visit and do some casting courses here. I can't seem to find the time.

Jim
05-01-2013, 07:16 PM
I can tell I'm home.

:bigsmyl2:

scottiemom
05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
You're a bad influence Jim. LOL. I need you to visit and do some casting courses here. I can't seem to find the time.
better be careful...we just might take you up on that!!

Gibbs44
05-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Having experience that can reach out to smack you when you are getting started helps alot. Those are some nice looking bullets.

TXGunNut
05-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Nicely done, Jim. Welcome back to the affliction, Riflerev!

JeffinNZ
05-01-2013, 11:50 PM
better be careful...we just might take you up on that!!

I suspect you would accompany him if only to get the young fella past customs.... ;-)

Bulldogger
05-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Nice way to spend the afternoon with a friend.
BDGR

smokemjoe
05-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Enjoy all the fun, With a lung out I cant do that anymore, while the wife is here.

MtGun44
05-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Looks good, that is a great design and those particular examples looked well
cast, too.

The infection spreads. . . . . . :bigsmyl2:

Bill

ALM3kids
05-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Yes he is and he stops by when he is in the area. He has been a wonderful source for castboolits information as is this forum.

RETIRED US ARMY