PDA

View Full Version : Can this be done to my mold?

Blackwater
05-01-2013, 01:16 AM
Fellas, I have a couple of 429360 moulds, a 1-cav. and a 4-cav. Just read Beagle's unflattering article on it at castpics, and though I've never cast any bullets with these moulds or shot them, I got the bright idea (well, an idea anyway) that maybe I could take the 1-cav. and have someone cut the diameter of all bands to cast a .431" bullet for my new Marlin .44, as Beagle did with his, but ALSO - and here's where I leave Beagle's work with his mould and (maybe???) break new ground. What I'd like to do after reaming the bands out to cast at .431", I'd also like to convert the mould to a RNFP configuration in front of the .431" bearing surfaces. What do you guys who make your own moulds know about what can/might be done to bring this idea to fruition? I know just enough about lathe work to know I need some MUCH more knowledgeable folk to advise me on this. I think I'd like to keep the big flat on the nose of the 429360 and just have an arc from the front of the bearing surface to the edge of the nose flat, probably a tangential cut. Who could maybe do these cuts on my mould??? (if anyone?)

Also, does anyone wish to venture a guess as to what it might shoot like? I tend to be a bit demanding of my expectations of my moulds, and the accuracy they'll produce, even if my ability to shoot isn't what it used to be, and my eyesight surely isn't as acute as it once was. I've been considering the Saeco 265 gr. RNFP mould for quite a while, and I think this would likely produce a similar bullet (probably with a larger flat on the nose) that should feed well in my Marlin 1894. Anyone think they've got a real clue how it'd shoot? Just mulling the idea at present, so any input is appreciated.

Dusty Bannister
05-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Sort of a little lighter than the Saeco #430 at 265 grains?
Dusty

JudgeBAC
05-01-2013, 08:42 AM
If you want the mold modified, contact Eric Ohlen (sp?) Hollow Point Mold Service in Oregon. He does superb work. www.hollowpointmold.com

MtGun44
05-01-2013, 07:10 PM
+1 that Erik At HPt Services can open up driving band diameters.

Bill

beagle
05-01-2013, 09:13 PM
That might work. I still think it's the aerodynamics of the nose that's throwing that thing off. Seems like I've changed everything else on it.

Please PM me if it works as I'm baldheaded from pulling my hair out over my efforts./beagle

deltaenterprizes
05-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Buy a new mold and sell that one, you will have what you want and save money.

rintinglen
05-02-2013, 02:07 AM
I have a four cavity 429-360 that casts some of the prettiest boolits that ever failed to group. It is a positive joy to cast with, boolits drop out like rain drops from a dark cloud, and once pre-heated, they're nearly all good. I had cast up nearly 20 pounds of them when I first got that mold, but most ended up back in the pot.

It wouldn't shoot for beans. Groups were literally twice the size of those fired with a 429-421. And the 429-383 made it look like a shotgun ( I do believe that is the most innately accurate boolit there is for 44 caliber revolvers--that big round nose boolit just plain wants to go in the same hole). I toyed with the idea of having it modified, but I'd rather spend the money on something else. I have plenty of other molds that shoot better.

MtGun44
05-02-2013, 03:10 PM
There is a reason that there are about 50 429421 molds out there for every 429360.
Some designs work, some do not. Unless it is super accurate in your gun, I think
the advice to cut your losses is well stated.

Bill

Wayne Smith
05-02-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm a little confused by your post. Do you want someone to do this work or do you want a tutorial and do it yourself? If you want a tutorial I'd suggest you PM either The Perfessor or Buckshot or both. Buckshot has posted many tutorials on machine work in the past. The Perfessor teaches the subject at a college.

oldfart1956
05-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Just wanted to add...I have lapped said mold (2 cav.) out to .431 without a lot of trouble. Still casting nice well defined sharp edged boolits. Still can't get it to shoot in any .44 handgun or rifle I've ever tried. (3 revolvers/1rifle) I've tried dozens of loads with 5 different powders with scoped revolvers that will shoot 1 1/4 inch groups off the bags at 75yds. and this boolit still sucks. I've used galena from butter-soft to linotype. More varieties of lubes than I can recall. Two different primers. O.A.L. from barely in the .44 mag. cases and at the ends of the chambers to....shorter than common sense would allow. Velocities from "not exiting the barrel" to "whereinell did that scope get to". I think I'd have better luck loading this thing backwards as a wadcutter. If making this mold into a round-nose will solve the problem...I've got a Dremel tool....I can do that. Audie....the Oldfart..

Liberty'sSon
05-02-2013, 10:29 PM
and this boolit still sucks.

Ok, that cracked me up.