PDA

View Full Version : i have a question about sizing dies for lyman 45

gilbert cochran
04-30-2013, 08:19 PM
i bought a used lyman 45 with 5 or 6 dies. looking for dies has brought up my question,will an o-ringed die work in my lyman 45. all the dies i have are non o-ring. Thanks gilbert cochran

Bent Ramrod
04-30-2013, 10:58 PM
The O-ring die should work just fine. It was the updated version of the older die, made to fit earlier machines.

Just be careful inserting the die into the machine so the O-ring doesn't get pinched. If it does, it will drive you crazy with extruded ribbons of lube which generally twist and curl and head right toward the boolit. Don't ask me how I know this.:mad:

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-01-2013, 11:25 AM
any Lyman made Die will work in a 45. the RCBS dies work also.
Jon

beagle
05-01-2013, 11:44 AM
The newer dies with the o-ring have a tapered entry leade and usually size better. Most of the older dies (without the o-ring) have a slanted leade and don't work as well. Think they changed both features about the same time./beagle

gilbert cochran
05-01-2013, 07:45 PM
thanks for the info I appreciate it, gilbert cochran lyman45

gilbert cochran
05-01-2013, 07:48 PM
just getting into boolit sizing appreciate the info

USMC87
05-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Good to see you got some quick info.

M99SavNut
05-28-2013, 08:57 AM
The older dies for the 45 actually had a "step" inside them, and the sizing action was simply shearing the boolit down to size. The step can be both felt and seen in a clean die, and those dies should be avoided for best results. The newer dies had both the o-ring for better sealing, and a gradual taper to final sizing diameter, so the boolits were swaged to size, not sheared. Great improvements, both.

Another thing about the 45, as contrasted with the later 450 and 4500, is the setscrew used to hold the die in place: if that setscrew is tightened with too much enthusiasm, some of the larger sizer dies can be pushed a bit out of round, so use enough tension to hold the die in place, but not too much.

Enjoy that machine!

Jess

Cane_man
05-28-2013, 10:50 AM
RCBS dies may need some fiddling! the holes in the RCBS dies may not be positioned the same as with the same caliber Lyman/Ideal sizer die... that was my experience with .224, the bullet had to be pushed much further down inside the die to have the lube groove line up with the RCBS sizer die holes or it would not work... ymmv