PDA

View Full Version : Anybody doing 357 Max?

crabo
09-07-2007, 10:52 PM
I am thinking about a contender carbine in .357 Max. It seems like it would be a cool cartridge with the exception of the cost of brass. I could shoot 357 mags in it. It seems like it would also be a good cast bullet caliber.

What do you think, or are there some better caliber options for a knock around carbine? I think it would be a great gun to use to introduce new shooters.

Thanks,

Crabo

357maximum
09-07-2007, 11:12 PM
I am thinking about a contender carbine in .357 Max. It seems like it would be a cool cartridge with the exception of the cost of brass. I could shoot 357 mags in it. It seems like it would also be a good cast bullet caliber.

What do you think, or are there some better caliber options for a knock around carbine? I think it would be a great gun to use to introduce new shooters.

Thanks,

Crabo

I may be a bit biased[smilie=1: , but I believe you are on the perfect train of thought. It will do anything from 38 special to 35 rem velocities with cast, and is like an old faithful dog while doing so.

Blammer
09-08-2007, 06:40 AM
I didn't think the brass was terribly expensive....

I have a good friend who shoots the Max and I'm slowly gravitating towards it...

He really gets good performanceout of it too.

If I go to the max I'm probably gonna get an NEF barrel in 357 mag and have it reamed out to 357 Max.

Leftoverdj
09-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I've had Handi rechambered to .357 Max for over 20 years. imho, it's as good a cast bullet cartridge as you are likely to find. LBT style 180 grain gas check bullets can easily be pushed to over 2000 fps with accuracy in the 2-3 MOA range.

My particular rifle retained accuracy with .38 Special WCs and shoots 50 yard groups with those in 1-1.25 range. Those are what I mostly shoot in it at the rate of a couple or three thousand a year. I dunno that that is to be counted on in other rifles, but it's a beautiful thing when you can get it

The cost of brass is inconsequential. Case life is just short of forever. and a couple hundred Max cases is plenty for a single shot rifle, especially if you can use range pickup .38 Special cases for the bulk of your shooting.

357maximum
09-08-2007, 01:02 PM
I

The cost of brass is inconsequential. Case life is just short of forever. and a couple hundred Max cases is plenty for a single shot rifle, especially if you can use range pickup .38 Special cases for the bulk of your shooting.

I concur with the brass issue, I have almost 3.5k max cases now, and I have yet to get beyond the 2nd box of 500. The only brass problems I have had were self induced, and intentional. The 357max gets shot more than the rest of my guns combined damn near. My problem is that I do not own enough variations of iron in this caliber:mrgreen: yet[smilie=1:

jebb45
09-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Crabo;;

I have the TC carbine in 357 Maximum, and you won't believe how much fun it is. I have the 21 inch tappered barrel and it is scoped. I have shot every thing from 36 caliber round ball to RCBS 206 gr cast through it and every thing seems to be very accurate. I have taken every thing from Prairie Dogs to Mule Deer. I have never had a problem. I try to get as close as possible and the little rifle just works. You can not go wrong if you want a small rifle for someone who is just starting. The caliber is perfect, and it is simple to load for, and shot capsuls work great for close range work for what ever. Give it a whirl you will be pleased.:Fire:

:drinks: :Fire:

PPpastordon
09-08-2007, 11:52 PM
I also have a .357 Max carbine; a Contender. I played with it quite a bit a few years ago and loved it, but moved to the .44. I had considered doing more work with the Max and this thread makes me think that time is near.
Any opinions about its ability with large hogs?
PPpastordon

frnkeore
03-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Does anyone have any loads for the 357 max using Unique?

Leftoverdj
03-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Unique is way too fast for anything but plinking loads in the Max. For anything close to full house loads, you need a powder in the 5744, 4198, AA-1680 range. If you just want to plink and have Unique to use up, you're safe using .357 data.

lathesmith
03-16-2009, 11:20 PM
I don't have a T/C barrel in MAX, but I have an NEF chambered for it and it has always been a very flexible and accurate shooter. I even use 38 Specials in it to hunt an occasional squirrel, to great effect. Wadcutters are hell on these little critters, they drop like a stone when hit, much more effective than 22 LR.
My latest project in my T/C Carbine is a 35 Remmy barrel that I added a rim to, for a 35 Remmy rimmed. To me, a single shot rifle needs a rimmed cartridge, darn it, and I am determined to have one! 303 British brass trims down and sizes just dandy for this, and I am looking forward to working up some hunting loads for this dude. Like a few others on site here, I am what you might call a 35 fanatic--I haven't met a 35 yet that I didn't like!
lathesmith

Ole
03-17-2009, 02:01 AM
I have a 14" T/C barrel that gets used some.

I admire the round. I wonder how much more popular it would have been if it weren't for the gas cutting issues related to the Ruger revolvers.

gasboffer
03-17-2009, 11:06 AM
I had a .357 Contender bbl that had an awful long freebore. You couldn't seat a 160 gr. RN far enough out to touch the rifling. Had it rechambered to Max and shoot it in short-range big bore silhouette. Made a good decision, am very happy with it.
Clyde

OBXPilgrim
03-17-2009, 06:56 PM
If I go to the max I'm probably gonna get an NEF barrel in 357 mag and have it reamed out to 357 Max.

The new 357 mags from NEF are not the way to go. They started making the 357 & 44 with the SB1 (Shotgun) frame, instead of the SB2 (Rifle) frame. The SB1 is not as strong & you'll be taking your life in your own hands.

Buy a new or used rifle (SB2) and send it in for a 357 mag barrel if you're even thinking of reaming it out to MAX. Or just buy an older SB2 357 mag rifle, if you can find one - don't buy an older color cased frame 357 to ream to 357 though - not the same as the newer SB2 frame.