PDA

View Full Version : Front Ejection

mrblue
04-30-2013, 03:11 PM
So i loaded up my lee 200 grn infront of 35gn of Varget in a m1 garand. After getting them to finally cycle, The gun tends to throw them forward of the rifle instead of behind. Any ideas as to why its goign forward and not behind?

popper
04-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Bolt throwing them out? Check the ejector.

mrblue
04-30-2013, 04:03 PM
I actually had a few different powders at the time, the few rounds of test before that woudl eject to the rear. But woudl not cycle the next round

gspgundog
04-30-2013, 04:40 PM
I have only had that happen when I was using to hot a load with too heavy a bullet. The M1 is designed for a 150 grn bullet, whenever a friend of mine cooked up some loads with a 200 grn or more bullet it would throw the brass forward. The government Ball ammo is actually not to heavy so look up some loads for the M1 and try those. That is also the reason why some ammo makers are making M1 specific loads.

Rattlesnake Charlie
04-30-2013, 04:50 PM
My buddy and I bought our Garands through DCM. With the Greek ball, both throw over half of them forward of the shooting line. We've never fired anything else in them.

Larry Gibson
04-30-2013, 05:25 PM
They go forward to the 1-2 o'clock position because the bolt is cylcing slower than with a service round. Hotter loads will land in the 4 - 5 o'clock position. Happens that way with all gas guns w/o a shell deflector.

Larry Gibson

mrblue
04-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Would you suggest anything to correct this?

Kraschenbirn
04-30-2013, 06:50 PM
My Garand tosses brass from ball ammo (or equivalent handloads) randomly from 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock...except for the last round that always goes to the rear . Shooting my cast loads with the RCBS 165 SIL (174 gr. from my alloy) @ 1960 fps, almost every empty ends up in about a 4' circle between 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock...which is just fine and dandy when it's time to pick up my brass.

Bill

Larry Gibson
04-30-2013, 07:04 PM
It's not "broke" so no need to "correct" it.

Larry Gibson

country gent
04-30-2013, 07:18 PM
The extractor and ejector are functioning correctly The garands ejection is right and forward. On light loads it is more foreward due to op rods hump hitting cases going foreward. My national match has a permanant brass mark on the hump after 9000 rounds of M852 or equive,ent thru it. You can clip partial coils from ejector extractor springs to adjust this. A light stoning of the ejector may help. Shuster Machining in Toledo Ohio makes an adjustable gas plug that will tone down extraction and ejection also. I have scars on my back from a 30-06 case from a Garand dropping into my shooting coat slow prone stage years ago. Damn was the thing hot.

beagle
04-30-2013, 08:19 PM
When I was shooting High Power, we shot the 600 off a high firing line. Most of this was FA and LC Match (tells you how long ago that was). A goodly portion would be ejected forward and over the bank. Be somebody made out on that as the shooters never went to retrieve it./beagle