PDA

View Full Version : A deer for Vicky

XBT
09-07-2007, 04:54 PM
My wife was diagnosed with multiple myeloma last fall. Since that time she has had two major surgeries on her right leg, the last one being a hip replacement that took place about three weeks ago. She has also had extensive radiation treatments and is currently undergoing chemotherapy in the hope of slowing the progression of the cancer. She can only walk very short distances with the aid of a walker and usually requires my help to stand or sit down.

Today she went hunting and collected a nice yearling doe.

My son had obtained a depredation doe permit on a nearby ranch that has a severe deer problem in their hayfields. We drove to the ranch this morning and with the help of some makeshift steps, my son and I were able to get her into the open back of my pickup. She sat on a folding chair and rested her rifle on several sandbags I had placed on the top of the pickup cab. My son sat with her to help out while I drove the truck into the hayfields which were full of deer.

It was a beautiful cool morning and we were in the hayfields just at sunup. We looked over several deer, including a few decent bucks before picking out a yearling doe. She shot it with her old deer gun, a Remington 788, at about 150 yds.

Shooting from a vehicle is not legal here, and we probably broke several other laws along the way, but I think that even if a game warden had been present he would have given us a pass.

It was a wonderful hunt, and I am hoping for more.

JeffinNZ
09-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Bravo! That your wife is out there and "getting on with it" in spite of her physical challenges is a good enough reason the 'bend' the law.

There are a lot of laws 'bent' for MUCH lesser reason.

SharpsShooter
09-07-2007, 06:11 PM
That Gal has guts and that is what it takes to beat that stuff. Her go get em attitude earns the highest marks of respect I can offer. The laws in this case are just written suggestions, nothing more.

Best of luck and years of hunts ahead to both of ya.

SS

nighthunter
09-07-2007, 07:18 PM
XBT ..... My wife also has multiple myeloma. It is a cancer of the blood and bone marrow. She was diagnosed about 5 years ago. She went thru chemo and stem cell collections. She came thru everything in her treatments with much more class than I would have ever had. After about 8 months of treatments which included 2 bone marrow transplants she had never voiced the words " Why me? ". She has been in remission since the treatments. I hope your wife responds as well to the treatments as my wife did. I know it was the harshest time of my life. If I can be of any help please contact me and maybe we can talk or whatever. My heart goes out to you and your Mrs.
Nighthunter

NVcurmudgeon
09-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Vicky gets my vote for toughest hunter in the field. With that kind of courage she should make a good recovery. Sounds like she has a pretty nice family, too.

Ricochet
09-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Good for her!

MT Gianni
09-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Glad to hear it. Shooting from a vehicle is legal in MT if the hunter is handicapped. [only one other person with him & they must be unarmed]. Great attitude. Gianni

RugerFan
09-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Wow very nice! Good going Vicky!!!

52 dogs
09-08-2007, 12:06 AM
I was the lucky son who got to ride in the back of the pickup and coach my mom. I felt like the gunbearer Silent in Peter Hathaway Capsticks African hunting books. Thanks to my moms nerves of steel and deadly accuracy, I now have a freezer full of tasty venison. Ha

XBT
09-08-2007, 09:33 AM
nighthunter-PM sent...

dragonrider
09-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Good for Vicky.

Topper
09-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Glad she was able to get out and get her doe.