PDA

View Full Version : 375XTR Big Bore top eject, I am back in the game with another!

Four Fingers of Death
04-29-2013, 12:33 AM
I foolishly sold my previous one (made a tidy profit on it, but missed it all the same), but wandered into the gunstore today and spotted an absolutely mint (looks unfired) one for $AU695, which is about what you pay for a nice 30/30 Win 94 these days. I dropped a deposit on it and put in on lay buy or lay away you guys call it. Got the ar$e out of my pants at the moment, so without cash couldn't arm wrestle for a better deal. I was about to take some pics, but had left my phone in the car and was running late. I will pop back tomorrow and take some. Three moulds, 5,000 gas checks and no 375 leverifle for the past three years, back on track!

Mk42gunner
04-29-2013, 01:05 AM
Wow, sounds like a very good price to me. I wanted one of those when they first came out; but couldn't talk my dad into it.

I haven't seen one in that condition that was even close to affordalble when I actually had the money in my pocket.

Robert

Four Fingers of Death
04-29-2013, 05:10 AM
Apart from one or two on the internet sales, I have only ever seen three.The one that I bought some years ago, a new one that was in a collection and this one. I hummed and haared for a few minutes and went to leave the shop, then I thought that it would probably be gone when I returned, so I put a deposit on it. I am doing a lot of hunting in thick forest at the moment and the ranges are less than 100 yards, so it should be perfect with lead boolits on the goats and smallish deer.

Shuz
04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Congratulations on listening to your "GUT"! Enjoy your new toy and let us know how it shoots!

Four Fingers of Death
04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Will do.

rintinglen
04-29-2013, 06:51 PM
I have regretted not buying a lot more guns than I ever did buying. These days, something I want pops up, I either put it on layaway or buy it depending on my wallet. Right now though, I'm up against the peg. I have no more room in my safes and the wife will kill me if I buy another safe.

Four Fingers of Death
04-30-2013, 02:30 AM
When I retired, I was cashed up and bought a lot of rifles that I had always fancied. My idea being that I would try them and satisfy my curiosity about them and then sell off the ones that didn't 'really' grab me and hang on to the rest. I have been remarkably good at buying, but not all that good at selling unfortunately. I am working my way through them working out whether they deserve to ride out the rest of my allocated years and have a few earmarked to dispose of.

The Big Bore 375 was never really on my radar, but I tripped over the first one and really liked it. I sold it when I was having trouble fitting the guns into my three big gun safes and only really let it go because I got a really good price for it and I also knew it was going to a one rifle rifleman who is a very keen hunter, so I let it go. It is in good hands. I will not be so easily swayed with this one though.

Lever rifles that were always on my radar are a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington and Big Bores in 444 Marlin and 356Win or whatever it is. All pretty rare in Australia. I have a recent production 444 Marlin with the modern style chequering, nice(ish) wood and 1 in 20" Ballard rifled barrel, (and a Ranch Dog Mould, bought a day before he closed the doors!) so they will see me out.

I think the 444 will be my main machine with a 2-7 Leupold and the 375 Big Bore will be a rainy day, crawl through the blackberries and close country type rifle.

MT Chambers
04-30-2013, 10:32 PM
That .375 and cast bullets would work great here in Kanada as well, if you ever get a chance at a .356...jump on it!!!

Four Fingers of Death
05-01-2013, 06:53 AM
That .375 and cast bullets would work great here in Kanada as well, if you ever get a chance at a .356...jump on it!!!

I will, don't worry.

starmac
05-01-2013, 01:17 PM
There was a super sweet 356 at the gun show this last weekend. The box looked old, but the gun was new or very close to it. I just sort of walked slowly by so as not to get drool on it.

Four Fingers of Death
05-01-2013, 10:28 PM
There was a super sweet 356 at the gun show this last weekend. The box looked old, but the gun was new or very close to it. I just sort of walked slowly by so as not to get drool on it.

HaHa! I don't think I could have exhibited such self control!

LIMPINGJ
05-02-2013, 06:40 PM
I love mine, don't let this one get away.

6.5 mike
05-02-2013, 07:44 PM
I've really enjoyed the marlin I picked up in a trade last fall. Getting ready to start pp'ing the lee 250 gr for it now that all the brass is fireformed & prepped. Have a Redfield 2.75 on it.

izzyjoe
05-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Glad to hear you got a 375, you'll love it. i too have bought a few thinking later on i would sell them, but did'nt. i only have one child, and i don't think she will want all of my rifles and shotgun's. so i'm thinking about thining out the heard too.

mainiac
05-02-2013, 08:38 PM
I picked up a marlin 375 a while ago. The 375449,with a case full of V-133,,is amazingly accurate.Could be the most accurate lever gun i own.Only thing is,the little cuss sure beats the cheek up,alot more recoil then the thutty-thutty.

barkerwc4362
05-02-2013, 09:04 PM
I have a restored Marlin 1893 in 38-55 that I love to carry in the woods here in South Alabama. With it's Marlin 26" light round barrel it is light and comes up quick. I shoot the RCBS 250gr (actually about 265gr) over IMR-4895 and have killed enough hogs with it to understand why the .375 diameter lever cartridges are so loved.

Bill

msp2640
05-03-2013, 10:25 AM
I recently became a "victim" of the 375 bug, Marlin 375 rifle, brass and dies later, I'm near ready for play time on the range, just a matter of getting some time to spend with a pair of Lyman moulds and the RCBS mould, to make some "food" for it. The costly thing abouut the Marlin, is that I'd also love to find a decent Cowboy model in 38-55 now to pair up with the regular 375. Not quite the same as yours, but close enough for me to pay close attention to the thread - Best of luck - Bill in MA

Four Fingers of Death
05-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Good luck finding a Cowboy in 38/55.

TXGunNut
05-05-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm a proud owner of a mint 375 BB, really should sell it someday. Glad you found one to replace the one you let get away, I wouldn't let mine go for that. Congrats!

Four Fingers of Death
05-05-2013, 11:56 PM
I'm a proud owner of a mint 375 BB, really should sell it someday. Glad you found one to replace the one you let get away, I wouldn't let mine go for that. Congrats!

I won't be letting this one go I think. The last one I let go at a time I couldn't get to cast boolits or even shoot much, represented a reasonable profit and allowedme to pay a big bill without touching my savings (meagre at best). I pondered over the offer for awhile thinking I might offload a different rifle/s, but no deal all of my mates were broke, so I let it go.

I think this will see more 'action' afield than my scope sighted 444Marlin (at least until my eyesight fails, still ok at 65, but slowly deteriorating). My last one had a Lyman receiver sight. I'm not sure what to mount on this one. I would like to keep it so that I can use it in cowboy action side matches if it is accurate enough. If it is, I might fit a tang sight or a Lyman/Williams (with removable peep slide) and invest in a set of flat topped folding open sights if any are available. The tang peep would handle both, but I don't know how it would go hunting in thick cover.

Four Fingers of Death
05-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Finally got back to the store and took some photos. This rifle either hasn't been used much or at all, otherwise the previous owner was real careful with it.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/20130513_375WinBigBore944_zps96c70c62.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/20130513_375WinBigBore944_zps96c70c62.jpg.html)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/20130513_375WinBigBore946_zps411bfce8.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/20130513_375WinBigBore946_zps411bfce8.jpg.html)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/20130513_375WinBigBore94_zps08a279a4.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/20130513_375WinBigBore94_zps08a279a4.jpg.html)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Rifles/20130513_375WinBigBore946_zps411bfce8.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Rifles/20130513_375WinBigBore946_zps411bfce8.jpg.html)

When I was in the store waiting near the rack that the rifle was on while they guys were serving other customers,I noticed several Williams peep sights on the shelf above it. I would prefer a Lyman, but it is there and ready to go. I will check out Lymans, but the Foolproof is looking good. I had one on a 98 Mauser 3006 in the late 70s, early 80s, sighted it in, left it alone after that, never budged.

Mk42gunner
05-14-2013, 11:15 PM
I wonder how well the internet transmits drool?? I guess we get to find out. That is a nice looking little carbine.

Now that I think about it, I don't really think a standard 94/336 receiver sight will fit on the BigBore. I'd make sure before paying for one.

Robert

Four Fingers of Death
05-15-2013, 04:52 AM
He had two 94 ones on the shelf, one was marked 94/336/1894 Marlin and the other one was marked AE, (not Big Bore). So I guess I will be right. Anyway, I will fit it in the store before I take it home to be sure.

MT Chambers
05-17-2013, 06:51 PM
That's a beauty, my .356 is all beat up but I paid $200for it, I wish mine looked like yours.

Four Fingers of Death
05-17-2013, 08:36 PM
The exterior of a rifle is for showing off to your friends and for pride of ownership. The internals are what is most important to me. A rifle with a lot of 'war wounds' from scrabbling up and down hills and crawling through the blackberry bushes, ia a very satisfying rifle as well, bringing back memories of good hunts and times afield

Take a good look, cause this baby won't stay like that for long with me operating it! HaHa!

TXGunNut
05-17-2013, 08:37 PM
I wonder how well the internet transmits drool?? I guess we get to find out. That is a nice looking little carbine.

Now that I think about it, I don't really think a standard 94/336 receiver sight will fit on the BigBore. I'd make sure before paying for one.

Robert

You are correct, sir. The Big Bore receiver required a special sight, not the same as a flatsided levergun receiver.

Four Fingers of Death
05-17-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm heading off to the gunstore in a minute, I will have a look. My memory of it is the holes for the receiver sight were ahead of the swollen part of the receiver, forward of the normal mounting holes as they appear on flat sided 94s. I will take a few pics and report back (10.43am here, I am almost fully awake, it took a strong coffee and a strong cup of tea though).

TXGunNut
05-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Gimme a minute, I'll post a pic and save you a trip.

TXGunNut
05-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Good news is, I think Williams made one for the BB.

GunnyJohn
05-17-2013, 09:19 PM
I have a marlin 375. Sweet little rifle. Shoots like a dream with J-words, but I'm having a heck of a time with boolits. I recently ordered and recieved some Ranch dog boolits from carolina boolits was too late to get a mold before the doors closed. Any advice on powder charges? It's a micro groove barrel. Any other molds that seem to work with the MG barrel?

Poohgyrr
05-18-2013, 02:01 AM
Congrats on your 375. I passed on one back in the early '80s(?) when I misunderstood how nice they are. Wish I had bought it.

Four Fingers of Death
05-18-2013, 02:57 AM
I had a look through the Williams Catalogue, the correct sight is the FP-94/375. There doesn't seem to be a 5D sght available, but a base grade FP without the target knobs, etc would be just as good.

One thing did see was the 'ace in the hole' sight which will go really well on my 444Marlin and 336 30/30!

msp2640
05-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Four fingers, I watch with interest on the outcome of your receiver site search, as I just picked up both a 94 top eject BB, to go along with my recently acquired 375 Marlin and 336 CB in 38-55. A busy month for the gun safe, 3 shotguns/ revolvers had to go out to make physical and financial room for the 3 new aquisitions. My Win BB had a Weaver side mount (thankfully a no d&t version) which was quickly removed. The scope is/was a nice illuminated, low variable power Bushnell that will find a home on another rifle. From the get go, I was hoping to find a receiver sight that would mount to the 2 side holes of the receiver. The factory barrel mounted rear sight is in place, so range time is in the near future, but I'm looking forward to finding an appropriate receiver sight. Cheers Bill in MA

Four Fingers of Death
05-18-2013, 10:35 AM
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pdf/2013%20Catalog.pdf

Looks like you need the FP 94/36 or the 5D 94/36

msp2640
05-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Thank you - I had not yet made the effort to look up the Williams website, now I have the info I need and then some - saw a few other things that I "need" as well - Thanks again Bill

ColColt
05-18-2013, 01:20 PM
You can't beat a good peep sight. Next to a scope, it don't get any better. My first taste of a peep sight was in basic training where we were given an M14. You could knock over silhouette size targets at 300 meters with that peep sight...excellent rifle.

shdwlkr
05-18-2013, 05:12 PM
four fingers
First I had two win 94 bb before my divorce
Second the gentleman that bought them lets me have access now and then
One is a mint top eject with 20 inch round barrel
second is a custom built up one with a 26 inch octagon barrel and full tube mag
I had around 7-9 levers
Now I have a few that I am rebuilding my collection
right now on layaway there is a ruger 77 22mag, ruger 77 22hornet, remington 1911, 3 leupold scopes and some ammo for one of my old levers that is so hard to find ammo for, I have a win 92 being built up into a 256 win mag. That one has taken over a year to find parts and now bullets that will let it feed through the action.
All my firearms go to the gentelman that bought my collection when the divorce issue hit. I have no one in my family that wants them so why let them get the money out of them and not the enjoyment. He is having fun with one of my former pistols that he has learned is fun to shoot. So I have had to replace that one with two new ones, 45acp type.
last I am your age and can agree things are going down hill but hope I stay in good enough shape until the two little guys in my life that are 6 and 7 years old are grown.

ColColt
05-18-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm looking at a couple of these as well as the 38-55...hard decision. Does the 375 have about the same recoil as the 30-30 with 170 gr bullets? I'm sure it's nothing your shoulder can't stand. I'm 67 and have lost down to 145 pounds from 188 and don't have the meat on my shoulders I use to.

Four Fingers of Death
05-19-2013, 04:26 AM
I'm looking at a couple of these as well as the 38-55...hard decision. Does the 375 have about the same recoil as the 30-30 with 170 gr bullets? I'm sure it's nothing your shoulder can't stand. I'm 67 and have lost down to 145 pounds from 188 and don't have the meat on my shoulders I use to.

145lbs, hell! I had that for breakfast! Well, that's an Aussie expression no offense. I tore both rotator cuffs (not at the same time) so I have been doing weights a bit which has rebuilt some of the muscle which helps.

The 375BB and 38/55 with cast boolit loads will kick more than the 30/30 as the boolits are heavier and you can't fight physics, whose laws will be obeyed.

However with cast boolit loads it shouldn't be a problem except when you load gonzo loads.

375BB factory ammo would kick a bit I reckon, I had some with my last rifle, but I can't remember it being a problem (my 444 with Hornady 265Gn factory ammo, welllllllll, that's a different kettle of fish altogether! It gives you a headache stab with every shot!).

A shotgun vest or a PAST recoil protector will help, but good form will also be a help. Ensure the elbow of your shooting arm is well elevated and you will form a socket for the butt, which will keep the butt in place and stop it glancing off your shoulder. Try this without a rifle and you will see what I mean.

I have several newish Remington bolt rifles and they have the R3 recoil pad, which I am informed is contracted to Limbsaver. I can't speak highly enough of these pads, my 375H&H with factory 270Gn loads kicks like a mule and jumps all over the place (7lb rifle), but my shoulder never gets bruised and I have been on Warfarin for years and bruise easily.

Hop a plane Dude and come out to the range, which is only a mile and a half from my place, we will work out some good loads for you! I have a spare bunk, a good BBQ, lots of cheap wine and good Aussie beer, I am a pretty good BBQ and camp cook and have a Chinese wife that cooks some fantastic Northern Chinese food! When we get it sorted we will go for a hunt in the state forest nearby.

ColColt
05-19-2013, 10:59 AM
That 145 pounds is a long story. I was 188, which is a bit much for 5'9". I was told a few years back I was borderline diabetic and I refused to give into that. I wasn't going to take any more pills and definitely didn't plan on daily shots forevermore so, I went on a different diet. No more Cokes, candy, pies, very little bread, no more Big Macs, etc. I watched my carbohydrate intake and sweets mostly. My A1C, as it's called went from about 7.5 to 5.2...big difference and blood sugar now hovers around 85-98 in the morning. I beat the diagnosis.

I guess the worse "kicking" rifle I can remember was a 375 Weatherby. A gunsmith friend gave me the rifle and three rounds to shoot and told me I'd bring one of the rounds back! Two were 270 gr and one was 300 gr. I didn't know what to expect so I fired the first 270 gr standing up...hefty recoil but not too terrible. Then I chambered the 300 gr and fired again. This time the 4x Weaver scope mounted on the rifle came back and cracked me between the eyes, knocked my glasses nearly off and left a half moon cut between the eyes. The next day I took the rifle back and one round, the 270 gr left. I had enough of the 375 Weatherby. That was many moons ago when I was about 24 years old. Today and at this age and weight, I'd end up with a dislocated shoulder if I tried that again. So, if you think the 375 H&H kicks, try a 375 or 378 Weatherby!

I have to say it Four Fingers...you sure do make that trip inviting. I especially love BBQ, being an ol' southern boy, and Chinese food is my top favorite, well...besides pinto beans, collard greens, slaw, a slice of garden tomato, cornbread and a glass of ice tea.:)

ColColt
05-19-2013, 01:57 PM
While I'm thinking about it, those two receiver screws on the BB ahead of the "hump", do they come out and others taking it's place to mount the Williams sight? Does the Williams sight come with those screws? Reason for asking, I ran across a near pristine version of the BB but sans screws there.

starmac
05-19-2013, 02:32 PM
I am no expert on the matter, but both williams sights I have bought, came with the screws. They are a little longer than the original ones. (have to be)

ColColt
05-19-2013, 02:40 PM
That sounds reasonable. I figured they probably did but didn't know for sure. I'm undecided at this point whether to go for the BB or the 38-55. I suppose which ever one is easier to get brass and dies for at this stage. Both may be difficult.

starmac
05-19-2013, 02:44 PM
I need to add that I bought both of the sights I own used, so I presume new ones come with screws, but have no proof.

One of mine is for a rifle I hope to own one day. lol
A member here has several bags of new brass for sale in the 38/55, don't know how hard dies are to come by.

ColColt
05-19-2013, 02:47 PM
I bought several bags from him and was fortunate he offered those. I'd like to have them close by if I get the Winchester 38-55. Most places I've checked still have 375 Winchester brass back ordered or out of stock...familiar story for most these days.

shdwlkr
05-19-2013, 04:25 PM
just a side note
You know you can load the 375 to 38-55 velocities but not the other way around.
I have also found those I get to use like heavy bullets think 300 or 350 grain lead here
I think it is a good lead bullet caliber, either one for that matter.

Four Fingers of Death
05-19-2013, 06:43 PM
While I'm thinking about it, those two receiver screws on the BB ahead of the "hump", do they come out and others taking it's place to mount the Williams sight? Does the Williams sight come with those screws? Reason for asking, I ran across a near pristine version of the BB but sans screws there.

'm sorry, I didn't see your post before, from memory, those two screws are just grub screws to fill the holes (like the grub screws in scope mount holes) and the screws are supplied with the sight as they are longer than the grub screws.

ColColt
05-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Grub screws...never heard them called that before. You Aussies have some strange words. But, I guess I figured it out.;) Do you find it's easier located brass for the 375 as opposed for the 38-55? I'm looking at both but neither seem to be in great abundance anywhere.

Four Fingers of Death
05-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Been awhile since I bought any. I picked up a few boxes of ammo and a box of once fired shells with the first rifle and then ordered 200 brass off a gunshop interstate who specialise in brass. None in stock, months later the phone rings while I am negotiating a busy intersection, they have my backorder (I couldn't remember backordering them, but I must have since they got my mobile number). I had the bum out of my pants at the time but I used the plastic and took them. I sold them with the rifle (D'Oh!). I have seen 38/55 ammo at the local store occasionally, but never 375, except at the big gunshops in Sydney.

Check out the start of this thread, most of the guys here seem to make their brass from 30/30 cases.

helice
05-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Not to hi-jack this but Col Colt,
Congratulations on your A1C and am levels. That wasn't easy.

ColColt
05-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Thanks and no it wasn't. Lot of sacrifices but no pain, no gain.:)

Four Fingers of Death
05-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks and no it wasn't. Lot of sacrifices but no pain, no gain.:)

My wife is Chinese and visit China occasionally. One of the very popular (and expensive) T Shirts over there says, "No paints,no gain!"

Grub screws is an English expression and it refers to a headless screw that doesn't protrude above the surface (much like a grub). The English language continued to develop after the American Revoluton, but you guys being so isolated from England at that time (not a bad thing, haha!) developed your own twist on things. Similar to my friend who is German, his family settled out here some 200+ years ago. They kept their language, but being a part of such a small German community here, they never changed their names and passed on their language to their children and retained a lot of German customs. My frend went back to Germany, to try and hunt up his rellies. His famly name never changed, but the German families did gradually change the way they spelt their names and a lot of the traditions and celebrations that his little community in Australia practiced or observed, were long forgotten in Germany. They also couldn't understand him, they both spoke German, but had developed differently, haha.

By the way, I had a look at the packets of Williams FP sights in the shop yesterday, they do include the screws.

JFE
05-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Four Fingers - nice find. Those 94BB top ejects are a really nice package. About 6 1/4lbs for a levergun that packs a decent punch is a handy rifle to have around. If you ever get to handle a 356 BB you will notice they are noticeably heavier as they are fitted with a heavier profile barrel.

As you noted earlier, the only peep sight offering that fits the factory holes is the Williams, however it only takes a few minutes with a file to contour the back of the base of a "normal sight" to fit around the fat receiver wall of the 94BB. This is what I did to both of mine. Just work slowly and take off enough metal to clear and check for fit regularly to avoid removing too much metal.

I fitted aluminium Lymans to mine and while they are not as strong as the earlier steel ones, they seem to be holding up OK. You could do the same with a steel one but that would take a bit more effort and those early steel ones are becoming harder to find these days and I prefer not to alter them.

Four Fingers of Death
05-21-2013, 09:13 PM
I fitted aluminium Lymans to mine and while they are not as strong as the earlier steel ones, they seem to be holding up OK. You could do the same with a steel one but that would take a bit more effort and those early steel ones are becoming harder to find these days and I prefer not to alter them.

I never really looked at my the Lyman sight that I had on my old 94BB. It must have been filed down like you say. Williams say that their Aluminium Alloy sights are stronger than the iron/steel competitors.

The more investigate it, the more I feel like going to a Lyman Tang sight. I have no experience of using these, but I have a credit with a friend who imports cowboy action go fast parts ( I had a mainspring for an 1873 Uberti when his broke, a week before he was to fly out to a match in the States). He has a lyman tang sight for a Marlin 1894. I have been thinking should try that first on my 44Mag 1894 and see if I like it. If you could learn how to hold your thumb, technically they should be a better sight.

There is another option, if you look at the simple sight on the 375H&H on the Skinner sights home page, there is a mega simple peep that can be made from angle iron.

http://www.skinnersights.com/index.html

Haha! a foot of angle iron would make enough peep sights for all your rifles! The beauty of these is that you could remove them easily when selling the rifle or using it for a cowboy match. You could just use a cut off a bit of angle iron, drill the holes to match the scope mount screw holes, guesstimate the peep sight hole height and try it out. If it doesn't work, heck, cut another 1/4" - 1.2" piece of angle off and have another go. When you have it right, cut the excess from above the peep, grind and file the thing to shape, Temper it if you think that is necessary, blue it and re-install it (taking lots of measurements in case you want to do it again). With these projects, I find I need a Round Tuit to get them done though. You could even do what the French did with the MAS36, have off set peeps to adjust for your individual eyesight needs.

JFE
05-22-2013, 04:11 AM
The more investigate it, the more I feel like going to a Lyman Tang sight.

In case you are not aware, I think Lyman Tang sights have no windage adjustment, whereas Marble Tang sights do. Having to drift the front sight for windage adjustment is not desirable, IMO.

I do like the Lyman peep sight because you can acquire a couple of aperture arms and sight them in for different loads. They are also quickly detachable and return to zero, which makes switching over and taking them off altogether very convenient. This can save them getting beat up when travelling in a soft case - I have on occasion bent the odd aperture arm....

The toughest of all IMO would be the XS peep sight, but you need to have the top of the receiver D&T-ed to fit them. Pretty much bullet proof, but not so easy to adjust, which is fine if all you use is one load and dont expect to change sight settings often.

Nothing is absolutely perfect, but there are a few options there.

Four Fingers of Death
05-22-2013, 05:40 AM
I do like the Lyman peep sight because you can acquire a couple of aperture arms and sight them in for different loads. They are also quickly detachable and return to zero, which makes switching over and taking them off altogether very convenient.

That is a good idea, I like the press button aperture arm removal. It never occured to me to get spares. You could get a target one and a bush one.

Mk42gunner
05-22-2013, 10:21 PM
I've shot a grand total of one Winchester 94 with a Lyman tang sight attached to it. It was not at all comfortable for me, I grip a rifle with my thumb across the small of the stock and the tang sight was in the way.

Robert

TXGunNut
05-22-2013, 11:10 PM
The exterior of a rifle is for showing off to your friends and for pride of ownership. The internals are what is most important to me. A rifle with a lot of 'war wounds' from scrabbling up and down hills and crawling through the blackberry bushes, ia a very satisfying rifle as well, bringing back memories of good hunts and times afield

Take a good look, cause this baby won't stay like that for long with me operating it! HaHa!

Well, I was afraid this would happen. This thread has me thinking about bringing my one and only safe queen out of retirement. A simple Williams sight, a mould, sizing die and a few gas checks are all I need to get this gun back in service. A 98% 375 BB really isn't worth all that much, and I doubt I'd ever sell it anyway.

ColColt
05-22-2013, 11:24 PM
Talked yourself right into it didn't you?:)

TXGunNut
05-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Seems I've had a little help. :wink:

ColColt
05-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Yep, I feel your pain. If I hadn't hung around here I wouldn't be buying what I have today. I did find my 38-55 Cowboy dies just moments ago after a long look all day... got the brass, just deciding on the rifle. My index finger causes me all sorts of problems.

starmac
05-23-2013, 01:31 PM
They made 98% levers, somethin ain't right.

TXGunNut
05-23-2013, 11:12 PM
OK, I'll bite. Any favorite moulds, FFOD?

garandsrus
05-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Lyman 375449 is always a top mold for the .375 Win.

Four Fingers of Death
05-24-2013, 05:26 AM
Mine is a 375449 DW. I don't know what the DW stands for though. I always wondered if this mould would work in my 375H&H as well. I just looked up the Lyman site to see if I could find out what the DW meant and they said that this mould was originally designed for the 375H&H, but works well in the 38/55 (and no doubt the near identical 375Win).

I have a second 375 mould buried downstairs somewhere. I have it in my head that it is a bit lighter, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I also have a box of 500 Polymer coated commercial cast bullets, which i picked up for a song some time ago. They are a bit semiwadcutterish from memory, I suppose they would be struggling in the H&H, but they will sure run the 94 in nicely though.

shdwlkr
05-24-2013, 09:46 AM
moulds for the 375 winchester
249, 265, 300, 350 grain this one I don't have the mould for yet but will one day. the heavier the bullet the more the 375 likes it.

TXGunNut
05-25-2013, 12:45 AM
Seems all I ever loaded was a Hornady 220gr j-word. I have a recipe but no load notes or dates. I'm guessing the old girl hasn't cleared her throat in well over 20 yrs.

Four Fingers of Death
10-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Wellllllllllll, I finally got the lay by paid off (added another rifle to it and picked that one up first which held things up).

Set the Lyman auto powder measure up for 12Gns, thinking that might be close to the quantity of trail boss I wanted and lo and behold, it filled the case to pretty much where the boolit would sit, so I worked out that 70% of that was 8.4 and I run with that.

Nice soft load with the 250Gn RNFP Polymer coated commercial cast bullets, but hit about a foot low at 25yds! Even on the highest sight setting, it was still about 7-8" low. Back to the drawing board!

I will give the Trail Boss the flick for the moment and load up another powder with a bit more mumbo!

Hopefully, I will get er' done tomorrow. I can't find my 375W die set, I think I might have sent them off with the previous Big Bore when I foolishly sold it. It was really awkward loading with the 38/55 dies as they justtttttttttttt reached.

The rifle is a quality bit of kit and found many admirers at the range.

I will use the box of 500 (475 now) commercial cast to run the rifle in properly, then it will be pure home made boolits from then on.

gmsharps
10-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Sounds like fun let us know how well it works.

gmsharps

longranger
10-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Accurate mods makes 250gr GC and a 310gr specifically for the 375 Win. The 250gr.GC and 20.0 grs. IMR 4759 shoots very good

Four Fingers of Death
10-21-2013, 08:13 PM
I have some 2400 and some ADI powders which are in the same burning rate range, I will try them and see how I go.

I have a Lyman mould and a Lee (I think, I know I have two 375 moulds), I will keep the accurate moulds in mind in case those two don't work out, Thanks.

TXGunNut
10-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Congrats on getting her home and settled in. You're way ahead of me; I now have moulds and gas checks ordered in but I'm not entirely sure where the rifle or even the dies are. Keep us posted, hope to get some loading & casting done next year and I'll be interested in what's working for you. Scored some 2400 Saturday, suspect that's where I'll start.

Four Fingers of Death
10-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks Tex, I had a heap of chores in the garden and the lawn to do, but it rained overnight and everything is very wet still. Time to hit the reloading bench instead I'm thinking!

runfiverun
10-21-2013, 11:05 PM
go with the 375449 I size/check to 379 for both my marlin and win-94.
the 2400 area speed of powders will work just fine.
I have been mucking about with some aa-1680 pushing the round hard.
it corresponds very well to the marlins sights but shoots a bit high in the win.
the wife just giggles when she racks the steel plates using the marlin, they flat disappear from her view when the trigger is pressed.

Four Fingers of Death
10-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Good to see your wife enjoying the rifle and load. AA powders are not available here. Mostly ADI, Winchester and Alliant have returned recently, although supply is a bit patchy. I think the gun shops would be happy just stocking the ADI and Winchester powders. WInchester are the only brand from overseas that has been continually available here.

JFE
10-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Of the powders we have available in Oz I found Reloader 7 and 2207 provide about the best velocity. One load that was very accurate and mild to shoot was 6.5 gr of Red Dot behind a 250 gr PB bullet. Velocity was around 1030 fps, just below supersonic. Its a nice bunny load but it does shoot quite differently to full power loads.

TXGunNut
10-22-2013, 10:55 PM
My first experience with RL7 was in the .375W under a J-word. Got very close to factory velocity, IIRC. Guess I'll try that if the 2400 doesn't work out.
What did you wind up loading?

Four Fingers of Death
10-23-2013, 04:15 AM
Didn't end up loading anything, been as busy as a one legged man in a butt kicking contest last few days. Fridays looking good for a bit of me time and reloading! I will probably try AR2207, I have 2400, but it not always available and I just love that in the 44Mag, so I will save it for that.

runfiverun
10-23-2013, 03:44 PM
the ADI powders will do absolutely fine.
I don't think that the 375 is overly picky, as long as you put some powder in the case.
ohh I found that water dropping really helped with the grouping in both of the rifles.
and a plain based boolit is really limited to about 1300 fps but accurate.

Four Fingers of Death
10-24-2013, 02:55 AM
The commercial bullets I have are the older Hawkesbury River Blackhawks. They are plain based, but polymer coated. I wanted to use these for plinkers and to run the rifle in properly. The moulds I have are gas checked designs. They will be the ticket I think.